U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was the worst decade for fashion?
1920s 2 1.41%
1930s 2 1.41%
1940s 4 2.82%
1950s 5 3.52%
1960s 5 3.52%
1970s 46 32.39%
1980s 39 27.46%
1990s 15 10.56%
2000s 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,208,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteBlondeCrystal View Post
I disagree. I had classmates that made fun of Michael Jackson because they thought he was gay. It was also very hard for people to come out of the closet during that decade, although it was easier than the previous decades. I think people are more open-minded NOW about things than they ever were before.
I think the comments depend on where you live.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:01 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,692,429 times
I think the 90s would be one of my least favorite. Clothing was terrible, architecture was pretty horrendous, and design in general was fairly blah.

The 60s from a clothing, furniture, and architecture standpoint is one of my favorites.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,647,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I voted for 70s, but now that I think about it, I would say any time period in which droopy drawers were "in fashion." The single stoooopidest thing I have ever seen on a human body. And it just won't go away!!
I think it's the second stupidest thing. Here's the first:

Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 AM

118 posts, read 125,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I am starting with the 1920s because that seems to have been the decade where the most recognizable fashion started in the 20th century.

Personally, I am going with 80s. Even for those who were into it at the time, I think the good majority regret it, even more so than those in other decades. The hair and clothes then...Were pretty much universally bad.

Oh no the 20s were great! Not talking "flapper" here (flappers of '20s were the punk rockers of the '80s- it was not the dominant fashion) and I love the 1920s prim and proper dresses- very feminine.

The '80s.. Oh My God where do I start? No matter HOW good looking you were- you were UGLY in the '80s. The miserable dry, frizzy hair, red blusher on the cheeks for women- the badly cut clothing. Shirts were too short and too tight on men and women, and cut so unflattering. Wrong bulges showed.

Can we say "shoulder pads" for women?? UGH! The 1980s turned women into these masculine, androgynous creatures with bad hair. Short hair on women- the styles were just atrocious.

Men had long-ish "fluffy" hair with odd curls. Just so off-putting.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,035,959 times
The thing is that alot of people are thinking to hard, when it comes to fashion. In a nutshell, the way people from the 1920's dressed is the standard way of dressing. It remains like that till this day. However that is how an english person ( European immigrant ) would also dress, and people found ways to improve fashion over time.

The real killer of fashion was the anti-non-heterosexual movement of the commercial 1980's, where they would just call everything that did not fit into the 1800's standard something only an non-heterosexual person would wear. It was done to syth music, ( which is the apex of music, next to smooth jazz, and smooth-pop ), as well as associating with people outside a persons race. Bottom-line is that people back then, never really dressed in these exotic fashions at all. The proof is in family pictures.

During the 1980's people started ( or 1970's ), stop wearing suits, as much of the culture turned to television as their standard media. I mean you can even catch some ex-hippies who are old, reading TV-Guide on the bus. I believe a famous entertainer walked down the runway in an tee-shirt and jeans, and started the trend of the tee-shirts.

The 1990's was when the hippies ruled, it was the apex of our world. It was also the ending of peace. Basically we went from civil-rights to rappers/rockers calling themselves drug addicts, to people who for some reason try to mimic all of that without the civil-rights aspect. The 1990's was the closest thing to the age of balance. I would say by the end of the 1990's if anybody was doing violent things, it had nothing to do with being hippie or racist, it was about being that way. This was caused because many currupted officers back in the late 1970's was finding ways to blame non-European people, for everything alongside the media. Basically tv, the news, paparazzi, propaganda, by the end of the 1970's had won their battle, setting up for problems of 2001, which were basically ignored, throught the 1980's. The 1980's was about ignorance, meaning to ignore everybodies lives and problems. Your business is not my business. The 1990's look was the gruff dingy, I am okay, I am young, I am happy, I get along with everybody. The 1980's look was a form of various cultures, while sticking the 1950's look. The 2000 look was more or less the same thing. Basically our fashion has not changed since the 1980's.

Right now fashion is about, if you have the money you can get away with it. If your not making it, then you can't afford to maintain it. A good example, is how many women are brainwashed into thinking a man without hair is sexy, because since the Lost Era, men were expected to go off to war. So the fashion showed men off being bald or hair being cut down, even school boys were dressed up in such fashion. Like how when I was a kid, I was dressed up as a sailor, or little engineer driver, or something like that. Nowadays or at least back in 2006, I would see parents dressing their kids up like little street punks, or rapper type garments.

In fact what I love is how people think 1980's fashion is retro today, when they pretty much look the same way. The fashion back then was good, it was just that most people were not fashion designers, or not financial equip to dress the way they wanted to. If anybody complains about curly/frizzy hair, they have to understand that was the thing back in the 1970's, that slowly wented away ( as with civil rights movement/Black was the thing back then ).

Personally I miss when hair had body, and was not flat, or how people even try to make their hair look like asian hairstyles, when Asian people even dread, and curl their hair to look like ours. I am sick of every man looking life if he just joined the military with a lame balding head, and every woman with flat hair, that barely moves and have no bounce at all. We are not east Asian people folks, that have hair that falls down in a perfect straight line. For most us we are not military people who must have such hairstyles, that are compact, and reserved. After awhile the flat hair looks boring to be honest. I would rather see something exotic. I wish offices would tell thier employee to get any hair style they want to have.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,017,374 times
Oh please, anyone who would rank the 80s as having worse fashion than the 70s must be an old-timer who's got a case of 70s nostalgia.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM

9,085 posts, read 5,663,077 times
I'm going to say from the late 60's to the early 90's.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:43 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,969,971 times
60s & 70s

Old 05-29-2014, 12:48 PM

2,768 posts, read 2,313,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
The 80s may not have had the best fashions but you know what it did have? The most open minded and accepting society.
I need to, respectfully, disagree. I was born in 1971. The 80's were about excess and designer clothes, even freakin perfume was designer. God help you if you did not have designer jeans or had "the nerve" to wear the same pair of pants, twice, in a 5 day school week!!!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:15 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,208,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I need to, respectfully, disagree. I was born in 1971. The 80's were about excess and designer clothes, even freakin perfume was designer. God help you if you did not have designer jeans or had "the nerve" to wear the same pair of pants, twice, in a 5 day school week!!!
Yes during the school year things could get tough but during the summer months you could wear just about anything and nobody ever gave you crap for it. It was just in school that you got teased or anything. At least in my area thats how it was. Not sure about big cities though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or