U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,705 posts, read 4,278,721 times
Reputation: 1855

Advertisements

For reference, Bernadette Peters appears to have aged pretty/relatively well for her age as well:

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
MTV absolutely did not show black videos in the beginning. People have looked at MTV Yearbooks at it appears that MTV was around for almost two years before even showing Prince's "Little Red Corvette" (hence my picture of Prince who wasn't exactly the "blackest" of artists - that's its own separate discussion). Although I am loathe to use Wikipedia as any sort of source, it's entry on MTV's color barrier is pretty accurate.

MTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I definitely refute many of the revisionist claims made by the MTV personnel in the entry. To say that many of the black artists did not make videos is 1000% FALSE. The only reason why BET existed in the first place was to show the "black" videos that MTV would not (and to show reruns of black 70s sitcoms in syndication).
100% correct and well documented.

Walter Yetnikoff, the president of Jackson's record label CBS, approached MTV to play the "Billie Jean" video. He became enraged when MTV refused to play the video, and threatened to go public with MTV's stance on black musicians. "I said to MTV, 'I'm pulling everything we have off the air, all our product. I'm not going to give you any more videos. And I'm going to go public and ****ing tell them about the fact you don't want to play music by a black guy.'" MTV relented and played the "Billie Jean" video in heavy rotation along with Prince's "Little Red Corvette". After the video was aired, Thriller went on to sell an additional 10 million copies.

And to get back on topic....

Janet Jackson (48) has aged well



Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 PM
 
Location: North Shore Long Island
7,736 posts, read 13,962,412 times
Reputation: 10544
Tina Turner!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
 
1,009 posts, read 1,848,602 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
100% correct and well documented.

Walter Yetnikoff, the president of Jackson's record label CBS, approached MTV to play the "Billie Jean" video. He became enraged when MTV refused to play the video, and threatened to go public with MTV's stance on black musicians. "I said to MTV, 'I'm pulling everything we have off the air, all our product. I'm not going to give you any more videos. And I'm going to go public and ****ing tell them about the fact you don't want to play music by a black guy.'" MTV relented and played the "Billie Jean" video in heavy rotation along with Prince's "Little Red Corvette". After the video was aired, Thriller went on to sell an additional 10 million copies.

And to get back on topic....

Janet Jackson (48) has aged well


Sorry for not being on topic folks. You can disregard my previous post; I meant to post it in a different forum! Like I said, the parallels between the two threads are interesting to me.

Janet Jackson has aged phenomenally. While her brother Michael became the poster child for cosmetic alterations, despite the nose job that seemingly every Jackson got sometime in the 70s or early 80s, Janet Jackson still looks essentially the same as she did over 30 years ago!




And sorry for showing my age, but just like "21 Jump Street" it seems like (most) of the ladies from "The Facts of Life" have aged quite well too!




Well Natalie's a bit "weathered" though.

Last edited by Steelers10; 06-02-2014 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Picture format
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
Reputation: 25856
One thing I notice in practically all photographs of older celebrities is the absence of "turkey neck" when there should be some present. In real life everyone I know in these age groups show wear and sagging in this area, so I think some celebrities nip 'n' tuck their necks and call it good.

I watched a fairly recent movie with Julia Dreyfuss and thought she looked really haggard and bad, but it was obvious that she hasn't been nipped 'n' tucked yet.

I think Sharon Osbourne is very beautiful but she had a considerable amount of plastic surgery done several years ago and she did not try to hide it from the public.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
One thing I notice in practically all photographs of older celebrities is the absence of "turkey neck" when there should be some present. In real life everyone I know in these age groups show wear and sagging in this area, so I think some celebrities nip 'n' tuck their necks and call it good.

I watched a fairly recent movie with Julia Dreyfuss and thought she looked really haggard and bad, but it was obvious that she hasn't been nipped 'n' tucked yet.

I think Sharon Osbourne is very beautiful but she had a considerable amount of plastic surgery done several years ago and she did not try to hide it from the public.
The saggy turkey neck can be prevented with a good moisturizing regimen. None of the older (60 plus yrs old) women in my family have the turkey neck. But again, black skin maintains its elasticity and is less prone to wrinkling.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 06:53 AM
 
14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
Reputation: 17206
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The saggy turkey neck can be prevented with a good moisturizing regimen. None of the older (60 plus yrs old) women in my family have the turkey neck. But again, black skin maintains its elasticity and is less prone to wrinkling.
I agree. I am not black, but of Spanish origin. I have a long slender neck and at 64 have no sag or turkey neck, very few wrinkles, and I have not done any procedures. i do think it is part genetic and part that I take care of it. Also, I have higher cheekbones and a strong jaw, which I believe helps keep the skin tight.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 03:49 PM
 
780 posts, read 1,416,403 times
Reputation: 442
Default my short list 50+ this year

women:
Susan Lucci
Sally Field
Oprah Winfrey
Madonna
Valerie Bertinelli
Julia Louise-Dryfus
Sandra Bullock

men:
William Shatner
Jack Nicholson
Pierce Brosnan
Liam Neeson
Denzel Washington
Rob Lowe
John Stamos
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
 
9,833 posts, read 5,715,842 times
Reputation: 9736
Janeane Garofolo - around 50, looks like a kid

Helen Mirren - still sexy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM
 
823 posts, read 804,549 times
Reputation: 864
Suzie Kolber on ESPN just turned 50. I think she looks great even if she was 40. Pretty sure she hasn't had any plastic surgery.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top