U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM

18,578 posts, read 13,704,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You really, really have to try hard to make this happen. It requires determined and total isolation of the kids. It is truly a disservice to the kids.
I hear you.

There are plenty of examples of community isolation all over this country that seem to go on indefinitely. Warren Jeffs and the FLDS, The Amish and David Karesh come to mind. Even though these are just religions, the psychology is much the same "Us and them". I know there are German groups in Mexico and SA that you would think are still in the Motherland.

Whoops, getting off topic. "White women are the hottest"

Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,923,136 times
Quote:
You really, really have to try hard to make this happen. It requires determined and total isolation of the kids. It is truly a disservice to the kids.
Not really. They just talk - in fluent English but heavily flavored by their parents' language and accent. The kids are not isolated per se. Just surrounded by Indians in the home. neighborhood and school.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not really. They just talk - in fluent English but heavily flavored by their parents' language and accent. The kids are not isolated per se. Just surrounded by Indians in the home. neighborhood and school.
I have a relative like this. She married an Indian man and now you would think she is Indian. Changed religions and the way she dresses and her kids identify as Indian. Some women will give up who they are just to get a man

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-18-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 AM

26,879 posts, read 28,188,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I have a relative like this. She married an Indian man and now you would think she is Indian. Changed religians and the way she dresses and her kids identify as Indian. Some women will give up who they are just to get a man
A college classmate did the same... she converted from catholic to muslim and wears a hijab now! And she is also ultra conservative. Keep in mind, in college, she was always trying to spend the night at the frat house, so this is pretty much a 180!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A college classmate did the same... she converted from catholic to muslim and wears a hijab now! And she is also ultra conservative. Keep in mind, in college, she was always trying to spend the night at the frat house, so this is pretty much a 180!
Apparently, Anything to appease a man. I could never quite understand that, especially if you consider the US an 'Evolved' society.

Whoops, back on topic

Old 06-18-2014, 03:48 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,538,286 times
Quote:
This is what I find odd among immigrants( I know something about them!). They leave everything behind; country, family, parents but then when they settle in the US they start romanticizing about the old country they practically fled. What you list as your dislikes ARE the customs. To each his own but I would raise my kids as Americans.
I never hated on the US custom. Its just the fact that I want to preserve my Indian custom at home. I do not require Indian people all around for this. A faithful partner who agrees with my view is more than enough.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 PM

277 posts, read 392,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

My background is Central European and I have olive skin. I once spent two weeks on a sailboat in the Bahamas and didn't recognize myself in photos I was so dark. I was much darker than a lot of black people I know.

MTV did show black videos in the beginning but they showed very few. I remember Prince videos very few and far in between but they did come on occasionally.

To get back to the OP, I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think Angelina Jolie is beautiful at all even though media tells me I'm wrong every day.
If you are white like you claim to be then I'm certain after your tan you didn't look black. What color are these black people you know that you were a lot darker than. I know a Mexican who came back with a tan that made himself darker than I. I not for once confused him for a black man. An Italian associate of mine can tan to a color darker than I, not for once she looked like a black person. When I see a white person tan to the point where I'm confused of their race then I would believe. White people with a tan do not possess the dark hue found on the average black person. I'm curious about the skin color of these black people you know.

MTV at one time did not show black videos at all. When they did it was selective like Michael Jackson videos.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddlay View Post
Yes this is after the UCSB tragedy that happened after the guy got angry of white girls rejecting him and went on a rampage. Now since White girls are always promoted as the most attractive, guys (of all races) want them.

If they were not promoted as the most attractive, would they still be the most desired?
Paler skin and soft features have historically always been desireable, even before many cultures had contact with "white" or European cultures or vice-versa.

Ancient Egyptian women would wear makeup and shave all hair from their bodies and were often depicted as having paler skin. The thought is that they found paler skin attractive because it denoted higher status- more wealth and status meant that a woman was well off enough to not have to work in the fields.

Women with pale skin and bound feet were often highly desired in East Asian cultures. This denoted high status and all the trappings that go with it (wealth, land, education).

This is reflected in pre-Age of Exploration Europe, where very few people had contact with darker-skinned people. Women who were paler and perhaps even a little fat were deemed more beautiful than average. Writers often wrote of blonde or red hair with green or blue eyes and rosy cheeks with red, red lips...

People in South America worshipped gods that had pale skin even before they had contact with cultures not from their continent. (This, in part, made it easier for the Spanish and Portuguese to conquer South America and gain other footholds in the New World.)

Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM

319 posts, read 279,171 times
my cents on the Indian stuff
well i do miss india and do revel in the customs...there are many reasons why one might immigrate
i certainly did not come for greener pastures
i had a great time in india and other countries
i ended up falling in love and staying here
of course i value the indian costumes much more so since i came here
its normal...if you were to never be in your own country...then one would greatly miss what one took for granted earlier
also, everyone has some criticism and some appreciation for various aspects of their own culture
for me, i don't think females are really more abused there as anywhere else...the amount of abuse in terms of statistics (include crimes, guns, drugs etc) is staggering in western countries

for me, i don't want to practice any social mores that i don't agree with anymore..d.idnt practice them even when i was in india...like caste etc
but i also did not know for sure that i don't really like the over sexual liberation here
it was nice to not have to be at either extremes...
the extremes of teenagers having sex or wearing skimpy clothes, being almost bare on beaches, women sleeping with married men and with men easily, without commitment or marriage, the high divorce rates...all this points to an extreme
i think that inspite of so many advances, women here still want approval from men and want to give anything...sex is no longer sacred.
i wouldn't want to teach the next generation that.

nobody stops me from drinking or wearing bikinis here...its not like im ''liberated''. i find liberation in keeping my modesty and respecting my body and my values. i don't believe that men must hug me to show respect.
and i should be allowed to respect myself wherever i am and practice my modesty, and honour which is real liberation to me.
being able to respect myself and be respected without having to show skin. i should be allowed to teach my daughters to do the same. im sure someone else would want to teach their kids other values even if they were to migrate to Asia.

when it comes to modesty, respecting elders, waiting to decide on recreational drugs, focussing on spiritual pursuits until one is ready to enjoy materialism and not get hedonistic...
the rituals, the colours, the festivals, the polytheistic freedom of choosing gods or goddesses, the highly advanced mathematics, the highly advanced spiritual science that has been learn over the ancient times and existence...i would not want to ignore them ...aka not throwing out the baby with the bath water
also american language is not british English
so indians learn british english, which one could say is the ''real english''
so far as im concerned...i grew up with the real indian english
and a person from another nationality that had british english might think that their own accent and use of english is the correct one!
now that Microsoft word and america is the dominant culture, people are expected to follow it...so one does
it does not mean that one automatically agrees that it is the best

also, growing up with so many beautiful languages, it does feel like a real loss when one can only sommunicate in english
imagine if Spanish became the world language and one would not be allowed to speak English anymore!!
i am grateful that in Indian we had a national language hindi and several other languages ad English as the official language.
Lot of diversity. Nobody complains about assimilation. Every culture can dress, eat, celebrate festivals (we had many festivals because of so many religions)
i like it that i can see Chinese, Mexican, African and so many other nationalities here
a big playing field now
but the diversity is fun
as long as people have common laws and customs and keep religion out of classrooms (seriously I'm so surprised about the Darwinism debate...we never had any religion interfere with school syllabus; maybe a result of the religious diversity)

people will likely come up with different traditions, accents and dressing. We are all different. And diversity is fun if there is tolerance,
Its acceptable for people to try to be around others who can teach their kids the stuff they want the kids to learn.
seriously, if one doesn't want their kids to be exposed to drugs/sex peer pressure but they are a law abiding productive citizen, they should be protect their children from some of the direct influences and live in communities that teach them some of the indian or asian or mexican or Chinese or other cultures
imagine if an american were o move to india, would they give up their christian beliefs and become hindu? or have arranged marraiges? or never speak English or hang around with other americans? would they avoid living near other americans in india, or try to form fellowships to survive as a foreigner with foreign customs?
and if they have lived there long enough, would they stop eating bread and only eat indian food?
nope right?
its the same here.
its nothing against anyone...its just being true to one's own values

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

319 posts, read 279,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I have a relative like this. She married an Indian man and now you would think she is Indian. Changed religions and the way she dresses and her kids identify as Indian. Some women will give up who they are just to get a man

I think people might change what they value when they get married...i think it happens in all cultures...a single party girl may turn into a conservative woman or traditional
one just tend to value things more when in a deep commitment i guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or