U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,430 posts, read 9,097,651 times
Reputation: 28966

Advertisements

"White women" haven't been the "beauty standard" (if there ever was one) for some time. There's more diversity in runway models, corporate models, beauty mag models, cover models, etc. than ever before.

Someone's stuck in the past.

 
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 AM
 
1,176 posts, read 1,898,719 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddlay View Post
Yes this is after the UCSB tragedy that happened after the guy got angry of white girls rejecting him and went on a rampage. Now since White girls are always promoted as the most attractive, guys (of all races) want them.

If they were not promoted as the most attractive, would they still be the most desired?
That's an interesting question. There's an evolutionary theory that the whole reason for the proliferation of fairer skin and hair and lighter eye color in humans was because the genes that coded for same provided a sexual advantage. It MAY simply be the case that there's something hardwired that has resulted in the "promotion" of which you speak...
 
Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,385 posts, read 9,953,575 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
"White women" haven't been the "beauty standard" (if there ever was one) for some time.There's more diversity in runway models, corporate models, beauty mag models, cover models, etc. than ever before.

Someone's stuck in the past.
That's a load of crap. White women are still the standard of beauty in this country and many other nations in the world. Don't let Ebony magazine and "token" minority models fool you. White women are still "winning" as being perceived as the standard of beauty.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-20-2014 at 05:35 PM..
 
Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
 
459 posts, read 510,585 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That's a load of crap. White women are still the standard of beauty in this country and many other nations in the world. Don't let Ebony magazine and "token" minority models fool you. White women are still "winning" as being perceived as the standard of beauty.
You're trying to do white v. Black women because you know you can't mention any other type of woman because the white woman normally looks plain next to them. That's why she tans and gets lip injections and needs hair weaves so it doesn't look limp. Whatever you need to make yourself feel better lol.
 
Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,385 posts, read 9,953,575 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
You're trying to do white v. Black women because you know you can't mention any other type of woman because the white woman normally looks plain next to them. That's why she tans and gets lip injections and needs hair weaves so it doesn't look limp. Whatever you need to make yourself feel better lol.
How would that make myself feel better? I'm just stating that White women are still the standard of beauty in most of the world. Personally I prefer women with darker features(hair, eyes, etc.). It doesn't make me racist, it's just my personal preference.
 
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 AM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,383,010 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That's a load of crap. White women are still the standard of beauty in this country and many other nations in the world. Don't let Ebony magazine and "token" minority models fool you. White women are still "winning" as being perceived as the standard of beauty.
I believe lighter toned is often viewed as more beautiful, but I don't believe white is the beauty standard. There are a variety of factors and it's much more complex than light vs dark and vice versa. Other factors need to be considered!
 
Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 AM
 
459 posts, read 510,585 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
How would that make myself feel better? I'm just stating that White women are still the standard of beauty in most of the world. Personally I prefer women with darker features(hair, eyes, etc.). It doesn't make me racist, it's just my personal preference.
If that were the case white women wouldn't want fuller lips tans and fuller hair etc. the features that are normally considered beautiful aren't the norm for European Americans but mostly those who are racially ambiguous.
 
Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,591 posts, read 1,731,161 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
Not all black women wear weaves everyday or near that amount I know a girl who has a family of about 60 including extended family and only she and her mom are the only ones who wore weaves. And the time period she wore it was only 2 days. And her mom wore for a time period in her life but it was only like two or three tracks and yeah it's looked like it was her hair because most of it was her hair. Black women can straighten their hair so it looks the same texture as the weave as well. And you forget weaves come in all textures.

Most black women don't wear weaves I read actually that white women wear them more. That's believeable because I have had 75% of my white friends claim they wore weaves or were wearing weaves while half of my black friends that did wear fake hair rarely if ever did I see them wear actual weaves. More of the time they just wore braids or claimed they had at one time worn weaves but we're natural when I knew them. So it seems to me more white women wear weaves more frequently.
Is this anecdotal or based on some actual study? I find it extremely hard to believe. I'm usually hard pressed to find black women who don't wear weave/extensions compared to the large numbers who do. Even most hair salons that are geared towards black women tend to be based around weaves and extensions.

If I had to guess I'd probably say that black women easily wear more weaves/extensions in terms of higher percentage of population. Since there are far more white women in the US I suppose there's a possibility that by the sheer numbers there may be more white women wearing some type of extensions but I'm not even sure that's the case either.
 
Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM
 
459 posts, read 510,585 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Is this anecdotal or based on some actual study? I find it extremely hard to believe. I'm usually hard pressed to find black women who don't wear weave/extensions compared to the large numbers who do. Even most hair salons that are geared towards black women tend to be based around weaves and extensions.

If I had to guess I'd probably say that black women easily wear more weaves/extensions in terms of higher percentage of population. Since there are far more white women in the US I suppose there's a possibility that by the sheer numbers there may be more white women wearing some type of extensions but I'm not even sure that's the case either.
Some people assume black women are wearing when they're not at all. So unless you asked each person you assumed was wearing a weave then you have a clear idea of who actually is wearing weave and who isn't... The family I was talking about had hair that when straightened looked just like a weave.


Also both types of salons specialize in extensions both black and white hair salons....
 
Old 10-22-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,385 posts, read 9,953,575 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
If that were the case white women wouldn't want fuller lips tans and fuller hair etc. the features that are normally considered beautiful aren't the norm for European Americans but mostly those who are racially ambiguous.
The reason is that it is considered "trendy" to have those features in mainstream America today. You are right in that traditionally having fuller lips, tan skin, and a big ass is not seen as attractive features in European societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top