Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Notice, though, that even in Mexico, for instance the telenovas, feature women with whiter, European features much more than women that look like Eva Mendez even though the whiter-looking Mexicans seem to make up a much lower percentage than the darker-colored, indigenous-looking Mexicans.
You'll see that all across Latin America, though some countries are ahead of others when it comes to ethnic diversity in the media.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:38 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It seems to me that Hispanic women (and men) are often "promoted" as good looking/sexy

I'm gay, so I can't really comment on women, but I noticed that after I left my very white suburban existence and joined the military where I was around men of all races, I started finding men of any race attractive.
Gay men can, of course, have an opinion on women, and usually do...LOL.

I'm a straight white woman and I have an opinion on the physical attractiveness of gay males.

Ricky Martin? Hot.

Truman Capote? Not so much.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I think that he or she means "White" in the sense that the U.S. Census Bureau defines it.
Pretty sure the US Census Bureau calls it "Caucasian".

Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,932 times
There was a recent study done about a Facebook dating app to determine which races respond the most to other races. The study revealed that white women received the most replies from men of any race, whereas black women received the fewest replies from men of any race (even black men). So, finding white women the most attractive is not the result of society and "beauty standards", Instead, it's simply a personal preference that men have.

Dating And Race - Color Still Matters - YouTube

Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Just looking at the link about Miss Universe winners - most of the winners had the Western European
facial features (early exceptions were from Japan, the Philippines, Thailand, Trinidad).

Miss Universe Winners
"Western European facial features"
Not necessarily, if you are talking about thin facial features and 'nice eyes'. There are sizable populations around the world on every continent that have these features. And there are sizable populations in Europe that don't have these features. Examples, China, Africa and India.
Attached Thumbnails
Controversial Question: If White women were not promoted as the beauty standard, would they still be the most desired?-chinag.jpg   Controversial Question: If White women were not promoted as the beauty standard, would they still be the most desired?-ehthiopia.jpg   Controversial Question: If White women were not promoted as the beauty standard, would they still be the most desired?-india.jpg  

Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
It's not that white women are "promoted" as the beauty standard, humans are simply biologically hard-wired to see white women (especially blonde, thin, blue-eyed) as the ideal of beauty. That's just how humans are.

Everyone knows Barbie. And everyone has given her more than a passing glance at least once in their life.

A black barbie, an asian barbie, a mexican barbie, an overweight barbie with cellulite and stomach rolls...people keep coming back to prefer the perfect thin blonde one.
Not true. I've loved big fat women for as long as I can recall - back as far as age 2. (At that age, I was attracted to my aunt. That's how far back my love of fat women goes - it goes back further than my understanding of incest!) Age 7 - my 300+ pound 2nd grade substitute teacher could've taken me home any day. Age 8 - the girl across the street from our new house who was twice my size. Need I go on? I sure as heck wasn't hard-wired to like thin white women. I've liked fat women, of all races. I'm married to a white one, but that doesn't mean that I was only ever attracted to white women.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I agree. The media has no influence on what I perceive as beautiful. The media promotes anorexic blondes. I like pale skin, black hair or redheads with some curves.
I don't think the media is promoting white women at all. Everytime you turn on the television it's all about the Kardashians and the dark Mideastern look, JLo, Selena Gomez, and the black Mexican actress being voted the most beautiful. Almost no blondes at all.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It seems to me that Hispanic women (and men) are often "promoted" as good looking/sexy

I'm gay, so I can't really comment on women, but I noticed that after I left my very white suburban existence and joined the military where I was around men of all races, I started finding men of any race attractive.
But not the true hispanic look that is thicker trucks, bigger waists, short legs and arms, and short stature that is much more common. They have to look like darker hued Barbie and Ken dolls. And that's also true of white women, the short chubby look isn't going to make them more popular or get them on magazine covers.

It's something more than just white or blonde, it's also shape, height, weight, length of bones, certain proportions. A Halle Berry is going to go further than June -- the mother of Honey Boo-Boo.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Well, in some cases, white women get that extra attention, like the purported "missing white woman syndrome" in news media. However, I'd say it's hardly a standard, as beauty has always been in the eye of the beholder.

And there are many factors too... in their teens and in their 20s, some white women are quite attractive, but some of them will end up looking twice their age. I had a few friends tell me that Chinese (Asian too?) ladies may not be able to compete with that at first, they age gracefully. One of them said that his aunt's highlight of her trip to Las Vegas was she got carded 3 times for not looking old enough to gamble, and she was 59 back then! No way most 30 yo white women would be able to pull that off.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,123 times
Wow... this thread is insanity run rampant. If you truly believe that the media controls what all people find attractive, then wouldn't that give the media the control to make people all gay/lesbians because they emphasized the attractiveness of men/women? After all, if the media says women are most attractive and that's all that matters, why aren't all women lesbians? Base on the most common advertising, if the "media" had all the control, then wouldn't everyone of all races/genders only be looking for 18 year old blondes?

The truth is people will always find their own definition for attractive. People do not always listen to the media, and to think otherwise drastically undermines the human ability to think for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty