Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

[quote=smommaof3;36018938If a dark person finds being white better looking or wants to date a white person, it's shameful.[/QUOTE]

It's a lot more nuanced than that. When you date outside your "group" because you have either self-hate or negative stereotypes about your own group it is a problem.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSmith17 View Post
This. I'm a college student and I've noticed this trend as well; amongst my"generation", the number of Asian-guy/White-girl andWhite-guy/Asian-girl relationships are pretty much even. However, ifyou look at my mother's generation, you'll see way more White-man/Asian-womanrelationships than Asian-man/White-woman relationships. Why is this new trendhappening? I don't know, but I guess it's because Asian men are: 1. Gettingmuch taller due to better nutrition and 2. Appearing more and more inentertainment/sports and 3. Becoming more assimilated into American culture.
I've noticed this as well.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:45 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I think the media has an agenda with Lupita. If you asked someone in Middle America about Lupita, they would call her ugly.
And yet "Middle America" is not the arbiter of who is considered beautiful. Chances are that those individuals would not find anyone who didn't fit the "blonde hair, blue eyes" mold as beautiful.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 AM

183 posts, read 210,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddlay View Post
Yes this is after the UCSB tragedy that happened after the guy got angry of white girls rejecting him and went on a rampage. Now since White girls are always promoted as the most attractive, guys (of all races) want them.

If they were not promoted as the most attractive, would they still be the most desired?
I think beauty is about symmetrical features and health, not necessarily being a white girl or any particular skin tone.
Also, studies show that people are more likely to be attracted to someone that looks like themselves.

I read an article a few years ago (in Time or Newsweek -or some publication like it) that talked about the "browning of America" and that by 2050 the majority of Americans would have a mocha type of skin tone.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:56 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Yes this is after the UCSB tragedy that happened after the guy got angry of white girls rejecting him and went on a rampage. Now since White girls are always promoted as the most attractive, guys (of all races) want them.

If they were not promoted as the most attractive, would they still be the most desired?
Yeah, uh.

I don't want them.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:41 AM

8 posts, read 11,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've never seen white women "promoted" as the most attractive..
This is true. In fact, many black women are being admired by men. Each woman is beautiful regardless of their color.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
most of the white women up here make an effort for darker skin , whether by harmful sun worshipping or going to the tanning salons

the pasty white look is not a good look..
in fact, im two-tone in the summer, my arms and face will darken ,,,but my legs are pasty white

Old 10-20-2014, 04:03 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times
Whites are not necessarily the beauty standard! Often ambiguous and mixed phenotypes are often what are desired or accepted as appealing to many. It's not so cut and dry as black vs white!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 AM

459 posts, read 768,277 times
Quote:

I don't think white women are the standard of beauty if they were white women then they wouldn't have to do things to look less white to be considered beautiful like tanning having a certain hair consistency that isn't exactly popular for white women and have to get fuller lips etc.... I think the standard of beauty are lighter skinned Indian and Ethiopian women. Usually white women have to work at fitting into the standards of what is beautiful by the media

Last edited by justawkward11; 10-20-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 AM

459 posts, read 768,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
A lot of them do WEAR extensions. However, it isn't talked about as openly or really dissected the way it is for black women. First because when a white woman wears extensions the ones she wears are almost always closest to her texture and her hair color. So it looks like her hair, and it's almost always to add length. Unless you were really feeling in her hair, it would be hard to tell that she was wearing extensions. Kim K for instance and her sisters all wear weaves/extensions, the women of Jersey Shore(the MTV show) wore extensions, etc. Again it isn't talked about because 99% of the time the hair extensions mimic their hair so effectively that you can't tell. However, the average white woman has probably wore extensions once in her life--most however do not wear them as often as black women. But white women do enhance their beauty in different ways--often dying their hair platinum blonde, fake tanners, etc. It isn't as if they are more "natural"--they just look to enhance their beauty in different ways(via hair color, tanning, etc).

There's a girl here that has platinum blonde white hair, and deep orange skin. She's attractive, but do you think for a moment that is her real hair color? Nope. She is natural brunette. IS she really that tan? Nope, she's actually pale--however with tanning several times a week and dying her hair, she creates that look. The same can be said for black women--they wear weaves to create a "look". In both groups the overall attempt is to be more attractive or get close to what the media projects as "beautiful". It's never IMO about trying to be black or white, or anything like that. It always isn't self-hate. It's really just trying to be beautiful and achieving it in ways that aren't necessarily natural(tanning beds, hair chemical colors, hair weaves, implants, etc).
Not all black women wear weaves everyday or near that amount I know a girl who has a family of about 60 including extended family and only she and her mom are the only ones who wore weaves. And the time period she wore it was only 2 days. And her mom wore for a time period in her life but it was only like two or three tracks and yeah it's looked like it was her hair because most of it was her hair. Black women can straighten their hair so it looks the same texture as the weave as well. And you forget weaves come in all textures.

Most black women don't wear weaves I read actually that white women wear them more. That's believeable because I have had 75% of my white friends claim they wore weaves or were wearing weaves while half of my black friends that did wear fake hair rarely if ever did I see them wear actual weaves. More of the time they just wore braids or claimed they had at one time worn weaves but we're natural when I knew them. So it seems to me more white women wear weaves more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty