U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:09 PM

419 posts, read 1,808,662 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine has a terrible comb-over. His hair on the side is maybe 6 inches long and he slides it from left to right to cover his missing hair on top. Looks really silly but I suspect no one thinks it is good manners to tell him he looks silly. Should I be the first or let him decide on his own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 PM

3,581 posts, read 9,002,297 times
Tell him, nicely. Perhaps you could start suggesting alternate hair styles that you think he would look good with.

I have never suffered this fate as my hair fell out before I realized I had a bald spot and never started combing over the "small hairless area". I lost my hair well before my 30th b-day and have never felt self conscious about it. Some guys are very self conscious, so you need to approach it is a supportive, helpful way if at all possible. If you tell him that he looks silly doing what he does now, it will only reinforce his idea that he is deficient in this area and he will feel a greater need to hide the baldness, maybe even a <shudder> toupee.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 11,980,929 times
Well, I think the best approach if a guy is worried about his guy friend with a bad comb over... shave your head bald, then encourage him to do the same, and revel in your sexy baldness!

...but if you're not a guy, I don't know. It's not like you can really interest him in any other types of hairstyles. When it's going, it's going. the most you can do is embrace it and love it. I really really wouldn't reccomend a hair piece. ...really!

There's another thread in here on this same topic... and someone was nice enough to post a TON of pictures, of all bald men! It was a great inspiration for many I think. And a great idea just think... Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis, the Rock... *sighs dreamily*

Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM

395 posts, read 1,792,329 times
I don't know. Maybe he knows how silly it looks, but he just feels it looks better than letting his baldness show. I'd be afraid that mentioning it would just make him feel worse.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:14 PM

523 posts, read 2,547,458 times
I have said something to a guy who is balding. He didn't have a true combover but the way his hair was cut just wasn't flattering. I recommended a different haircut and told him to go to my hairdresser. He did it just to prove to me that it wouldn't make any difference. And, unfortunately it didn't. His hair still isn't styled right so he did prove his point to me.

Whether or not to tell someone about his bad combover really depends on your relationship with him. In my case, this was my roommate and he openly talked about not liking his bald spot so I knew that he was aware that he didn't like the way it looked. If it was someone I didn't know really well, though, I wouldn't say anything.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 PM

395 posts, read 1,792,329 times
After I posted, I had a thought. Would you like it if someone told you that your hairstyle looked silly?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,628,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
After I posted, I had a thought. Would you like it if someone told you that your hairstyle looked silly?
I wouldn't like it, but...if I was using my hairstyle to cover baldness I would be pretty self-conscious about it and I would appreciate even negative comments.
I often get the urge to ask strangers things like "Does my breath stink?", "How do these pants look on me?", etc.
You can't always trust people you know to tell you stuff like that - and I'd much rather know so I could correct the problem.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 PM

290 posts, read 984,823 times
I wouldn't say anything- wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole in fact! If he asks for your honest opinion, then by all means, let him know what you think. But if he hasn't asked for it, for I wouldn't offer my unsolicited opinion. Just my $0.02

Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,912,862 times
if he was a good friend then i would tell him. who do these combover guys think theyre fooling! it has to be the worst hairdo in the world. i cant believe that the donald's model wife hasnt made him shave his head yet? there is no way i'd be seen with a combover man no matter how much money he had.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:45 PM

227 posts, read 1,235,704 times
you should just cut some of your hair off and glue it to his head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty