U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,558,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
Sunscreen everyday and wear a wide brim hat.

I looked a lot older when I was 18-22 too. It's only when I started to take care of myself physically about 5 years ago when people think I look young. I've been a vegan for a while too and now just eat a plant based diet so that probably has to do with it too. Sometimes, it's weight and dress style.
As wildcard and SHL mentioned, lifestyle has a major role to play. My lifestyle for the next 6 years is going to be intense research and studying for successful completion of a top level engineering PhD program. Its well known that this program is highly competitive and I wont have any time for other things, so obviously I will look old and unhealthy by the time I come out.

My typical lifestyle is being an overachiever. My eventual aim in life is to get a job which pays enough to build my own hilltop mansion in the Hudson valley by the time I turn 42. Always has been my dream since I was 12, and have given myself 30 years.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-09-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 AM

877 posts, read 1,028,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
As wildcard and SHL mentioned, lifestyle has a major role to play. My lifestyle for the next 6 years is going to be intense research and studying for successful completion of a top level engineering PhD program. Its well known that this program is highly competitive and I wont have any time for other things, so obviously I will look old and unhealthy by the time I come out.

My typical lifestyle is being an overachiever. My eventual aim in life is to get a job which pays enough to build my own hilltop mansion in the Hudson valley by the time I turn 42. Always has been my dream since I was 12, and have given myself 30 years.
There's nothing wrong with that. Most of the people in here look their age. Everyone claims to look younger but that's because society has distorted our idea of what a 30/40/50+ should look like.

They also seem to think getting carded means something. I work retail and it means nothing more than a requirement for a sale to go through or for us to keep our jobs.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,331,954 times
People confuse feeling and looking better than they did at a given age with looking "younger". It's not uncommon to come into your own until you're past that bloom of youth, so to speak. The added confidence of being comfortable in your own skin makes you think you look younger. When really you just feel better, more energetic and confident with yourself and your life.

Being on top of your game (contrary to what the media would have us believe) happens for many people well beyond the 20s and 30s. Once you've achieved some goals and accomplished a few things, the worry and frustration of those inexperienced years melts away. Chances are you have probably learned how to take care of yourself and groom and dress yourself to bring out your best as well.

If you are in your 40s or beyond and look between a decade or two younger than your cohorts, then you have defied the laws of nature. Your genetic material should be studied and frozen and you should not have to worry about money ever again!

Last edited by winterbird; 06-09-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 PM

That's true about being carded coffeendonuts.

The other thing is who is doing the carding (is that right..lol)? Those much younger or much older are more likely to question your age. The elderly thinks everyone is a "sonny" or "young lady". While those much younger don't have the experience to read age very well.

Those within your same age group can tell how old you are just fine...lol.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:55 PM

1,309 posts, read 851,491 times
I have a photo of myself I took last week and I look exactly like I did when I was 18. Sending the photo to Industrial Lights & Magic was a good move on my part.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Lol

Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 PM

2,654 posts, read 2,128,086 times
I think men might be aging better than their forefathers in part due to lower testosterone. Hair loss medication is a definite reason some men are aging better - I think it's mostly the younger-looking guys to begin with who jump on that.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,295,790 times
I think President Kennedy served in his early 40's- he always looked much older than that to me and now that I am older than he was when he died -I still think he looks much older than a man in his early 40's-

Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 AM

6,510 posts, read 2,248,625 times
Default Pres. Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I think President Kennedy served in his early 40's- he always looked much older than that to me and now that I am older than he was when he died -I still think he looks much older than a man in his early 40's-
I always thought that he looked older than his age, too. People always said he was very handsome, young, etc. but he actually looked a lot older, and maybe that had to do with his numerous health issues. He was handsome in his 20s, 30s, though. The last few years of his life his face sometimes looked very pudgy and he was not overweight at all. He had under eye bags and wrinkles, also that freckling (browning) that comes with sun exposure. I think he had Cushing's disease or an autoimmune illness and he had to take medication, actually he had to take a lot of medications, including painkillers for his back. I think his war injuries took a huge toll on him.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:05 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,520,915 times
I guess I do not look "too young". No one asks me if I qualify for senior discount anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty