U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:30 AM

13 posts, read 13,146 times

Advertisements

Well, I've been thinking lately that I must look older than I am, compared to my peers and comments from the youngsters, which contradicts what I thought when looking into the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 04:31 AM

11,132 posts, read 11,540,308 times
"A survey shows that 83% of people over 60 believe they look younger than their age. In a related study, 82% of people over 60 suffer from vision problems."

Old 05-31-2014, 04:36 AM

11,132 posts, read 11,540,308 times
A woman is looking at herself naked in the mirror. She says to her husband, ‘Darling, I’m old and fat. Cheer me up. Pay me a compliment.’ ‘Well,’ he replies, ‘your eyesight is still good!’

Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,451,511 times
Count me in as one of the annoying people who tend to believe I don't look my age. I will be 50 in a few weeks and just last week, somewhat guessed my age to be in the late 30s. I hear this quite a bit. I have my Mom to thank for the "youthful look" gene. She always looked 10 years younger than she was (and she was a heavy smoker!). I have never smoked, drink very little (apx 1-2 beers per month) and I try to eat healthy food. And I move my body (walking, biking mostly). Plus, I wear my hair longer (shoulder blade length) and take good care of my skin, teeth, etc. I think sometimes those short boy hair cuts on some older women make them look older. Just my opinion. Of course, I've seen plenty of older women with short hair that look youthful & fab.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM

73,123 posts, read 64,663,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I highly disagree.
I think its the obesity epidemic that has people looking younger.
More facial fat=less wrinkles.

Also do not forget facial fillers,botox etc.

In my HONEST opinion,the women who work out do not looks as young as the obese women.
Significant overweight tends to age people, generally. But obesity is a regional thing, too, in the US.

None of the very young-looking women I know use makeup or get botox or anything like that. They're active, child-free, and live a healthy lifestyle. But these are women in CO, northern CA and the Northwest, where there's much less obesity than in other parts of the US, and being physically active (and also--makeup-free/enhancement-free) are more the norm.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 AM

35,828 posts, read 39,569,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I find that people in their 20's are shocked that I'm 50, but I think that's because they think 50 means little hunch-backed gray haired lady with orthopedic shoes. I look good for 50, but if you know what a good fifty looks like, then I'm it. But you know, 50 is the new 30.
I think this is probably more at play than anything...people have a certain image in their head of what a 40 (50, 60, 70)-year old "looks like," and if somebody doesn't match that, momentary confusion.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:09 AM

73,123 posts, read 64,663,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think this is probably more at play than anything...people have a certain image in their head of what a 40 (50, 60, 70)-year old "looks like," and if somebody doesn't match that, momentary confusion.
I think this sums it up. 50 these days generally looks a lot different than 50 looked back when "the Golden Girls" was first run.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:54 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,512,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
I'm 34 and I like asking people how old I look. Sometimes I do it as part of my show, sometimes I do it when they ask me how old I am. It gives me an idea of what I really look like. I've found that I average maybe 2-4 years younger than my actual age. I look at pictures of myself in my mid-twenties and I sure as heck don't look as young as I used to. I think I'm holding 34 well but I doubt I could pass for 24.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,317,055 times
I always looked much younger than my age in my teens and twenties. I have a 'babyface', and was always mistaken for a teen in my twenties. When my sister, who is 11 years younger than me, was graduating high school, one of her classmates' moms asked me if I had graduated from the school last year? I said, no, more like 11 years ago, LOL. She was shocked that I was 29 and had a child of my own.

In the last couple of years, I feel like my face has aged a little bit. I still think I look younger than my age, because I'm petite and dress in a youthful style, but up close I feel like my face now gives away my age a bit more with the laugh lines etc.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:19 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,026,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Definitely. Women work out at the gym regularly, which previous generations didn't do. People were more sedentary in past generations, and it showed. They also smoked, were into cocktails after work, and didn't avoid the sun. People (there may be regional differences) eat healthier these days, too; more veggies, less meat-and-potatoes. And they tend to dress more youthfully. It's said that coloring grey hair takes 10 years off, too. More women are doing that than used to be the case.
I disagree with most of this. People today aren't necessarily healthier than that of yesteryear.

People ate more processed foods, but there was less obesity in general. They ate out in moderation (fast food was a "treat;" and servings were smaller). People may not have worked out as much, but they were more likely to be active in other ways—more walking, jogging, etc. Kids engaged in more outdoor activities (bikes, sports, etc). The average woman today couldn't fit into a dress of the average woman of yesteryear.

Today, there's an emphasis on natural and organic foods; but fast food and eating out/takeout are a bigger part of the average person's overall diet. There's a desire for great abs and building muscle tone, as opposed to just being a thinner woman or a guy that's just in good shape. (Think of actors of the 50s and 60s such as Burt Lancaster, Monty Clift, etc.); yet clothing sizes extend beyond extra and extra large (—think 5XL). People boast about going to gyms, but will drive to opposite ends of the same parking lot (instead of walking) and will pick up mail from the comfort of their cars (instead of walking down their own driveway). Kids that aren't otherwise into sports or arts, music, are more likely to sit in front computers/tablets/TVs/video games than spend as much time outside as in the past. And there are plenty of those who still tan.

Granted these are generalities, but I'd say it evens out except for smoking not being as socially acceptable as it was before, and people dressing more youthful today.

People wanted to look older (especially teens), and elder didn't to concern themselves with dressing to look younger. It wasn't as much of a stigma. Today, the majority of people would rather look younger (unless they're teens that want to treated as adults or kids that want the privileges of teens).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty