Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times

Advertisements

I also think this is because so many women lie about their age.

One of my friends is seven years older than me, but she claims to be younger. I know because she was a senior when my sister was a freshman. So of course I look way younger than her. I would rather be truthful and people think that I look good for my age, than lie and people think I look older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 08:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
im 42 and the majority of people i went to high school with look nearly 60 now. Everyone who knows me in real life thinks im mid-late 20s.
SO you look like you are in your mid 20's and everybody else you went to school with looks like they are in their 60's...lol

Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
Define "middle aged". I know a number of women who get hit on by teenagers and college students, and get passed over by the 40-something men their age. Most of these are women who haven't had kids, and are either petite, or baby-faced, and not too curvy, so they don't have the usual visual cues that indicate an adult (let alone "middle-aged") woman. It's not about "thinking" they look young for their age (most would appreciate age-appropriate attention from the opposite sex); it's about how the world treats them.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:35 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
I figured I looked a few years younger than I am - but at my job people were shocked when I told them my age. Some accused me of lying, or they laughed and said NO, tell me how old you REALLY are. They laughed and would come back and say, OK, tell me the truth. I've gotten up to 17 years younger than I am, and at the oldest I've gotten 10 years younger. I can only guess the occasional adult acne and oily skin, as well as small stature helps. I never go in the sun or tan. My SIL is 2 years older than me, but was mistaken for my mother. She lives to tan, and her skin shows it.

A similiar thread like this came up last year. I think people aren't showing age like they used to. When I look back to my grandparents generation, when you got to your late 50's or 60's, you would usually retire, sit at home, dress a certain age (polyester pantsuits, never jeans) as a woman cut your hair off, you'd really slow down. Now people at that age don't live like that - they remain active, tend to keep up with trends better, dress younger (my parents still wear jeans and trendier clothes), etc so maybe that's why people appear younger. I don't think people "age" like they used to in previous generations.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I think I look my age and I often wonder how I appear to others. I know I don't look 10-15 years younger, that's for sure. I can't say anybody has ever asked my age.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
A similiar thread like this came up last year. I think people aren't showing age like they used to.
Definitely. Women work out at the gym regularly, which previous generations didn't do. People were more sedentary in past generations, and it showed. They also smoked, were into cocktails after work, and didn't avoid the sun. People (there may be regional differences) eat healthier these days, too; more veggies, less meat-and-potatoes. And they tend to dress more youthfully. It's said that coloring grey hair takes 10 years off, too. More women are doing that than used to be the case.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Definitely. Women work out at the gym regularly, which previous generations didn't do. People were more sedentary in past generations, and it showed. They also smoked, were into cocktails after work, and didn't avoid the sun. People (there may be regional differences) eat healthier these days, too; more veggies, less meat-and-potatoes. And they tend to dress more youthfully. It's said that coloring grey hair takes 10 years off, too. More women are doing that than used to be the case.
I highly disagree.
I think its the obesity epidemic that has people looking younger.
More facial fat=less wrinkles.

Also do not forget facial fillers,botox etc.

In my HONEST opinion,the women who work out do not looks as young as the obese women.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

Makeup tricks...

You are right though. CD is esp ripe with these people.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
I'm 50 but still feel 20's inside, my children keep me young at heart. I never did drugs, never smoked never drank , I don't sunbath, I do workout and eat organic and have all my years . I lived a healthy and stress free life only been with just my husband of 32 years...

Last edited by WildCard~; 05-31-2014 at 12:36 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 01:48 AM

369 posts, read 392,700 times
Quote:

I always look/looked older. A human body cannot sustain that much punishment and abuse without showing signs of it. I've noticed it often draws attention when in a room with many men and few women. The bank in the richy neighborhoods has all these smurfed up metro-sexual men in there. I walk in looking like hell (the day I had at work) and all eyes are forward at me.

Probably the first REAL man they have seen all week.

Ain't that right Conrad? lol

Now move that damn BMW before I smash it to bits with this F-250 Super Duty. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty