Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 10:45 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,769,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
But with improved cosmetics, better styling with hair and clothes, and a different outlook in later years, people in general do look better than prior generations.
I've often wondered if that's it or if the fashions older people wore back when I was a kid were actually what was in when they were younger so it had the effect of being aging, whereas we're used to the newer fashions now and it's just a matter of perception. When I look at pictures of me back in the late 70's and then now, I think I look better now but of course it's the silly fashions back then that give me that idea b/c I surely don't look better at 55 than I did at 22. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,150,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
For sure, it's tough job.

Obama looks a lot older than back 2008.
He has a lot of grey hair now. The job has aged him so much. Some people can age in a short time while others age OVER time as in years. I sometimes see someone that I haven't seen in a couple of months and in that time, they've aged considerably and dramatically, sometimes I don't even recognize them.

Remember the actor David Hemmings in Blow Up? It was a 1960s movie, and David H. plays a fashion photographer. He is very young and some would say he's a pretty boy with a very slim build as some of the male models strive to be these days. Toward the end of his life, David Hemmings looked nothing like the way he did in that movie. I found it hard to believe they were one and the same. People age at different rates and a LOT of it has to do with genetics, but also lifestyle and stress level.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,668,778 times
I think when people say they look young for their age, it's the mind fooling them.

Everyone couldn't possibly look young for their age ? I think what the curious question here is - why are people saying this to others ?

It kinda sounds similar to someone saying, "I'm so good looking".

Here again is one of these statements that just screams: denial, insecurity and someone embarrassing themselves.

Please people stop saying this so you don't further embarrase yourself. Live with dignity, humility and integrity it's much more appealing to others.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:41 AM

17,519 posts, read 39,037,831 times
Well, I guess I'm gonna go against the grain here, but so what if people think they look young for their age? I'm sure it makes them feel good. Do you want them to feel the opposite and feel like shriveled up shells of human life with one foot in the grave? It is bad juju to think that way. People should think well of themselves. I agree, that one should not BRAG to others if they feel they look good or whatever. It should just be a state of mind.

For myself, I feel very young at heart - I am very active, do a lot of things that make me feel good physically and mentally, and have a happy, positive outlook on life, and I am sure that affects how others perceive me.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 AM

649 posts, read 568,834 times
I don't think most people see themselves as others really do. I had this coworker that used to brag about how young she looked for her age. The thing is she actually looked about 5 years older than she really was. I have no idea why she thought she look so young.
Very few people I know look much younger than their age. Maybe 5 years but if your 50 it's doubtful that you look 25. I'm 37, with makeup and the right outfit I could probably pass for 32. If you've had a few drinks and the room was dim maybe 30.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,668,778 times
^^^^^^^^^^ I agree ! Most people don't see themselves as others really do.

I've also noticed this about people that say they look young for their age, they usually look other than they are. This is the same person that goes around asking everyone to guess their age.

The people that do look really good for their age or younger than they are never say anything.

I met someone for dinner that I hadn't seen in awhile and I didn't really recognize her. She kinda aged a little quickly, no big deal, until she started talking about age ! How younger guys think she is their age ? I thought uh oh she's having trouble with her age. Then asked our waiter how old do you think we are ? Yikes ! I just wanted to get up and leave ! I can't stand that !

What I realized is that everyone ages differently. This I know for sure nothing makes a person look and sound old/older than askking people to guess your age or saying you look young for your age.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:28 PM

13,003 posts, read 18,870,390 times
Obvious the OP hasn't talked to many teenagers.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:32 PM

75 posts, read 98,541 times
You should be happy.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 PM

646 posts, read 463,905 times
Well, if people tell you all your life that you look young then there must be some truth in it.

I have always been told that I look young for my age, even as a little kid. So, I assume people are right and enjoy the advantages.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,036,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Well, if people tell you all your life that you look young then there must be some truth in it.

I have always been told that I look young for my age, even as a little kid. So, I assume people are right and enjoy the advantages.
People that actually look young for their age don't need to play guessing games: they already know they look young for their age, because others regularly tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty