U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like long toenails?
Yes 7 5.26%
No 126 94.74%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2014, 11:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,170,126 times

Advertisements

I would NEVER do the long toenail thing... UGH!

But I do get pedicures for my normal length toenails
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Now that it is sandal season, I have been noticing women wearing their toenails long. At the nail salon recently, a couple of women were extending their toenails by getting nail tips.

I don't recall ever having seen so many long toenails. Is this the latest thing?

What do you think of these looks?

I have never seen anything more ugly in my life! Toenails look best short, neat and polished.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Now that it is sandal season, I have been noticing women wearing their toenails long. At the nail salon recently, a couple of women were extending their toenails by getting nail tips.

I don't recall ever having seen so many long toenails. Is this the latest thing?

Clearly those women are not runners. Oy vey. No way would I EVER have toenails like that.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,120,147 times
No. I don't even like long fingernails - or anything that prioritizes form over function.

I work with my hands. I can't have crap under my nails. Or mess up my feet with 4" heels. Or whatever.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 AM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Clearly those women are not runners. Oy vey. No way would I EVER have toenails like that.

"not runners" is putting it mildly! They must be sitters! And not shoe wearers!

Really, what can you do with toe nails like that? Carve a pumpkin? Use a litter box?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,271,385 times
Quote:

ew is all I have to say.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,271,385 times
Quote:
I asked the manicurist about that. She said that some people like them because they think the long toenails give the feet a "feminine, sexy look"--kind of like longer, polished fingernails give the hands a more feminine look.
But the feet are at ground level, and gather dirt, unlike hands, which are not at ground level, and we wash all day long. We can afford to have long fingernails, but long toenails are nasty and collect grime under them like crazy.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 AM

3,417 posts, read 2,895,243 times
Quote:

With the exception of the feet with the flower, they all look rather ugly. Appears to be more of an "inner city" type thing (if you know what I mean). I find it to be terribly unattractive. Definitely not the type of woman I would find attractive and it actually approaches dealbreaker category having long azz toenails. But, I guess its an "urban" thing (if you know what I mean) so if they like it, more power to them.

I think its gross. How would they even do things like sports, athletics, yoga, etc. with toenails like that? Definitely not my type.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Just tacky.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 AM

4,236 posts, read 3,029,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Appears to be more of an "inner city" type thing (if you know what I mean).

But, I guess its an "urban" thing (if you know what I mean) so if they like it, more power to them.
It's not an inner city thing. When looked into this online, it seems to span across geographical and class lines.

Long fingernails originated in China as a sign of wealth and not needing to work. So I'm guessing there's a similar reason for the toenails.

The long toenail style seems to have started in India. It may be that it's an indicator of wealth and privilege. Obviously the only people who can wear this style--especially the extreme lengths--has to be someone who has little to do and can wear sandals all the time. This style is incompatible with toiling in the fields or working in a factory/office/professional setting.

I'm not sure why it's becoming popular here.

Anyone who has more info on this, please chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or