U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are tongue rings trashy?
Yes 150 88.76%
No 19 11.24%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 AM

3,420 posts, read 2,899,039 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone want a tongue piercing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM

4,915 posts, read 6,580,828 times
Self mutilation isn't attractive

Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM

18,549 posts, read 13,688,608 times
Kind of neutral on it. Ive gone out with a couple of women with them. The improvement you were supposed to feel really wasn't there, so not sure.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM

7,456 posts, read 5,448,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

Recent, as in, 15-20 years? They became popular when I was in middle school, nearly two decades ago.
Eh... maybe... I was in engineering college at the time, which is not exactly a place where you see a lot of piercing, tattoos, or otherwise. I can't say I was paying attention to fashion trends since I don't really follow them or care, though I stand by what I say. I've never heard of anyone look at another human and say, "He/She would be really good looking if he/she had some metal stuck in his/her face." Similarly, I've never seen anyone gain any employment prospects with facial piercings, unless they are working at a piercing shop, so I still don't get it and never will. To each their own, but if a person chooses to look like they fell in a tackle-box, i don't want to hear them complaining about how nobody will hire them.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,154,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
To each their own, of course, but I honestly don't get this relatively recent fashion trend of sticking random piercing in your face, tongue studs and rings included. I just don't get it - it certainly doesn't draw positive attention to the person with the piercings and I honestly can't see any benefit to the person with the piercings. I have, however, seen people that would have been good looking if they DIDN'T have random piercings, and let's not even get started on the damage that can be caused by tongue studs to teeth, infections caused by huge ear hoops, etc.

It just doesn't make any sense... at a recent job of mine, we had a young janitor whose whole face was covered in piercings and tattoos. It was pure madness - he looked like he fell in a tackle-box, and his crowning achievement was getting the whites of his eyes tattooed black so he looked like some sort of zombie-demon. Why?! All he did was waste hundreds of dollars potentially putting his health at risk and guaranteeing that he'd never have a job higher than janitor for the rest of his days... all so he could look like some cultist from a Dungeons and Dragons module... people are insane...
Clearly, though, that guy went to the extreme. Most people who have a tongue piercing, or a nose piercings, are not going to pierce everything, get facial tattoos, or tattoo the whites of their eyes (which, in my opinion, does look a little freaky).

Quote:
Eh... maybe... I was in engineering college at the time, which is not exactly a place where you see a lot of piercing, tattoos, or otherwise. I can't say I was paying attention to fashion trends since I don't really follow them or care, though I stand by what I say. I've never heard of anyone look at another human and say, "He/She would be really good looking if he/she had some metal stuck in his/her face." Similarly, I've never seen anyone gain any employment prospects with facial piercings, unless they are working at a piercing shop, so I still don't get it and never will. To each their own, but if a person chooses to look like they fell in a tackle-box, i don't want to hear them complaining about how nobody will hire them.
It depends on where you lived as well. I grew up in and around Oakland, CA, and piercings and tattoos have been very common for decades.

My dad went to Cal Berkeley during the Vietnam War. When I asked him if he attended all the demonstrations and peace rallies, his response was, "No, the students weren't interested in that. It was mostly people who came from off campus who attended those. We were just interested in getting to class and getting good grades." When I asked my uncle, who went there at the same time, but has different political beliefs than my dad, and also was in a different major (my dad was in accounting), he said, "What? Tons of students attended the demonstrations! I attended them all the time! It would be impossible to ignore everything that was going on!"

Point is, your vision of history or how certain people are, what they did, what they believed in, and even how they dressed, will all be influenced by the people you surrounded yourself with.

I do think it can be more difficult for people with facial piercings to get jobs, than it is for people with tattoos (depending on the job). I work at a nursing school, and facial piercings need to be covered up (although a tongue piercing would be fine, since those are difficult to see). Tattoos are a little more relaxed - a lot of students have them behind their ears, or have a wrist tattoo, and those aren't a big deal. Open holes in the face (outside of the natural ones) are more of a problem. But depending on the person, the company, and the job, it may not be a big deal.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,826,056 times
in all honesty I cant understand why anybody would pierce their tongue. It hurts a lot, from what I hear and what's the benefit?

Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,436,350 times
I thought those went out of fashion at the end of the 90's?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,466,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
in all honesty I cant understand why anybody would pierce their tongue. It hurts a lot, from what I hear and what's the benefit?
Prior to the "fad" they were gotten to enhance oral sex

Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 PM

6,919 posts, read 4,229,909 times
Quote:
Different era and region. I have tattooed and pierced friends that work in academia, IT and STEM fields. I don't think I've come across someone say "Gee, she'd look stellar if her hair were dyed auburn instead of chestnut brown." Or "Hmm. He'd look so much better if he got peck implants." Most people don't usually go around micromanaging the doings of others unless they're a parent of a minor child.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,284,308 times
@The OP: You mean like this?:

Not necessarily. In fact, I suppose that they might even be a little sexy in some cases (not sarcasm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty