Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are tongue rings trashy?
Yes 150 88.76%
No 19 11.24%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,542,423 times

Advertisements

Yuck! No face metal. Keep the earrings understated, too.

The only metal in one's mouth should be for normal dental purposes, like fillings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,914,817 times
I don't care for them.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,376,052 times
Many don't realize how many ailments affect a person's tongue, but quite a few will find out as the years go by.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,051,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
All face metal is trashy.
Agreed.
I can barely get on board with earrings...everything else is blecch.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,618,976 times
Maybe not trashy, but it certainly immediately labels someone as very, very different . . .

Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,802,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
They make it impossible to understand the person when they talk.
Not really. I had a tongue ring (actually a barbell, not a ring) for over a decade. The vast majority of people didn't know I had one until I told them. There was no difference in speech, and there was no way to see it unless I stuck my tongue out. Eventually I took it out because as I got older, I didn't want it to do damage to the enamel on my teeth.

Some people get theirs done really up close to the front of their tongue - it depends on each person (due to the veins underneath), and you might see their piercing more, and it may also affect their speech a little more if it's really close to the front. But with mine, you couldn't tell. Most people that found out were very surprised. Not only did I not look like "the type" to have it, but again, there were no speech problems nor could you see it when I was talking.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 AM

7,474 posts, read 6,999,015 times
To each their own, of course, but I honestly don't get this relatively recent fashion trend of sticking random piercing in your face, tongue studs and rings included. I just don't get it - it certainly doesn't draw positive attention to the person with the piercings and I honestly can't see any benefit to the person with the piercings. I have, however, seen people that would have been good looking if they DIDN'T have random piercings, and let's not even get started on the damage that can be caused by tongue studs to teeth, infections caused by huge ear hoops, etc.

It just doesn't make any sense... at a recent job of mine, we had a young janitor whose whole face was covered in piercings and tattoos. It was pure madness - he looked like he fell in a tackle-box, and his crowning achievement was getting the whites of his eyes tattooed black so he looked like some sort of zombie-demon. Why?! All he did was waste hundreds of dollars potentially putting his health at risk and guaranteeing that he'd never have a job higher than janitor for the rest of his days... all so he could look like some cultist from a Dungeons and Dragons module... people are insane...

Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 12,995,769 times
Very trashy.

I love to hear girls talk about how they wanted a nose piercing or a tongue piercing to be classy.

Uh, no, not ever on anyone's planet.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,331,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Not really. I had a tongue ring (actually a barbell, not a ring) for over a decade. The vast majority of people didn't know I had one until I told them. There was no difference in speech, and there was no way to see it unless I stuck my tongue out. Eventually I took it out because as I got older, I didn't want it to do damage to the enamel on my teeth.

Some people get theirs done really up close to the front of their tongue - it depends on each person (due to the veins underneath), and you might see their piercing more, and it may also affect their speech a little more if it's really close to the front. But with mine, you couldn't tell. Most people that found out were very surprised. Not only did I not look like "the type" to have it, but again, there were no speech problems nor could you see it when I was talking.
Mine is placed toward the back due to my tongue anatomy. The majority of people don't know I have it unless I tell them. It isn't that visible when I talk. The only time I had difficulty talking was during the first week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
To each their own, of course, but I honestly don't get this relatively recent fashion trend of sticking random piercing in your face, tongue studs and rings included.
Recent, as in, 15-20 years? They became popular when I was in middle school, nearly two decades ago.

Quote:
I just don't get it - it certainly doesn't draw positive attention to the person with the piercings
Does one draw positive attention for coloring their hair or waxing their eyebrows? I mean, no one stops me in my daily life to comment on my henna-ed hair or nicely waxed/threaded eyebrows. However, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't get a positive comment or reaction to, say, one of my tattoos.

Since my tongue ring isn't visible to random people, I'm not on the receiving end of neither positive or negative attention. My nose ring is pretty darn visible, and have yet to receive any negative attention from it. What is that supposed to look like anyway? Is the bank teller supposed to chastise me, or the cashier at Trader Joe's? Am I supposed to by lectured by my midwife for having a nose ring.

Yeah, no.

Quote:
and I honestly can't see any benefit to the person with the piercings.
What benefit is there to wearing high heels, wearing makeup, coloring one's hair, bleaching one's hair (does bleach "benefit" hair? No it doesn't, but many women still do it, including myself). The perceived "benefit" is for the wearer. The majority of people won't know that I have henna-ed my hair, and the majority probably couldn't care less that I prefer a Brazilian wax to shaving.

You don't see the benefit for yourself. Good. Your body, your choice. But what other people do with their body is no concern or worry of yours, so why care? I don't see the point of getting a butt lift, but other people do. I don't "get" muscle implants, as in, I see no reason to get them myself, but hey, plenty of men are into such thing. I doubt I'll ever get a face lift, but there are men and women who have them done. Their body, their choice.

Quote:
I have, however, seen people that would have been good looking if they DIDN'T have random piercings, and let's not even get started on the damage that can be caused by tongue studs to teeth, infections caused by huge ear hoops, etc.
Hyperbole. We're talking tongue rings, which aren't visible to most people. Why must folks resort to fallacies and exaggerations when trying to support their own biases? A piercing or two is not "covered in piercings." People always go for the extreme when attempting, and failing, to support their case.

Quote:
It just doesn't make any sense... at a recent job of mine, we had a young janitor whose whole face was covered in piercings and tattoos. It was pure madness - he looked like he fell in a tackle-box, and his crowning achievement was getting the whites of his eyes tattooed black so he looked like some sort of zombie-demon. Why?! All he did was waste hundreds of dollars potentially putting his health at risk and guaranteeing that he'd never have a job higher than janitor for the rest of his days... all so he could look like some cultist from a Dungeons and Dragons module... people are insane...
Once again, a penchant for hyperbolic statements. A piercing that is typically hidden from most people is not "man covered head to toe in tattoos and piercings."

Last edited by Metaphysique; 06-02-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,331,737 times
Most people who are into body modification are not doing it to be "classy." I sure as hell do not aim to be "classy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post

Very true. Many are surprised to discover I have a lot of tattoos. I don't look the "part" to have tattoos and piercings. I was probably the only moderately tattooed parent at my eldest's school back when I lived in Atlanta, GA. I received a lot of looks and smiles. I lived in a pretty affluent, yet progressive area, and it was still no big deal. Then we moved back to So Cal and there were a lot of tattooed parents. It's a pretty normal thing in metro and progressive cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty