U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 AM
 
413 posts, read 554,357 times
Reputation: 669

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Having sex and getting a tattoo are not in the same universe.
Well let's see -
Tattoo: permanent marking, possible badly drawn or inked tattoo, possible disease if not done by a licensed professional
Casual Unprotected (as I wrote above) sex: possible diseases (STDs), unwanted pregnancy (leading to either other choices like abortion or being unwed/single parent and possibly having to drop out of school), possible financial burden for at least 18 years


Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Otherwise facial tattoo is OK ala Mike Tyson.
If you read the whole post then you would have noticed that I listed different professions. So while the facial tattoo that Tyson has might look silly or stupid it did not prevent him from working in his chosen profession.

 
Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM
 
8,827 posts, read 6,318,473 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Well let's see -
Tattoo: permanent marking, possible badly drawn or inked tattoo, possible disease if not done by a licensed professional
Casual Unprotected (as I wrote above) sex: possible diseases (STDs), unwanted pregnancy (leading to either other choices like abortion or being unwed/single parent and possibly having to drop out of school), possible financial burden for at least 18 years
Sure, but wanting sex is a natural need, it is biological function.

Wanting a tattoo is a tribal and cultural. Saying no to sex is a million times harder than saying no to a tattoo. But, you make a good point about the consequences.

Quote:
If you read the whole post then you would have noticed that I listed different professions. So while the facial tattoo that Tyson has might look silly or stupid it did not prevent him from working in his chosen profession.
I think Mike Tyson got a tattoo because he is not very smart and a follower of fashion.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
6,947 posts, read 4,258,502 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree!


The problem with tattoos is that they say "I am a follower with little individuality". The tattoos are also associated with low social status, but there are exceptions. SO why would anyone do this?
Low social status? In what region is this? Is this like a super affluent, predominantly Caucasian area in the NE or something? The individuals I know who are moderately tattooed, I don't count a fairy on the shoulder blade or lower back as someone part of a certain demographic. I'm talking people with several or more tattoos. They have been servicemembers and their spouses or individuals of varying walks of life. A good friend of mine is moderately tattooed, and is a university professor. Another is a physician, D.O., and guess what? He has a back piece.

I know quite a few tattooed people in academia, and many in STEM fields. So this "low social status" is pretty antiquated thinking from a few or more generations ago.

Just about anything can be said to be a "follower with little individuality" from religious ideologies, political leanings, music and movie tastes, fashion style. The perceived lack of individuality is not unique to any one subculture or practice.

I can easily claim people who watch X or believe Y are sheeple and lack coherent, individual thought and analysis. The argument can go both ways.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
11,053 posts, read 13,673,445 times
Reputation: 8491
My wife works with a plastic surgeon and she sees a lot of "tattoo regret". Tattoo removal is a growing business for them.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
6,947 posts, read 4,258,502 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My wife works with a plastic surgeon and she sees a lot of "tattoo regret". Tattoo removal is a growing business for them.
I don't know anyone, personally, that has had a tattooed removed. Removal is often marketed to people who got a tattoo when they were young, often a flash art, and decided they didn't like it anymore when they got older.

And there are others who got a design, had it removed and covered over with something else. A better design.

There are people who regret cosmetic surgery. So, does that mean everyone who has received cosmetic surgery regrets it? No. I wouldn't even say "most" people do. And plastic surgery is "mostly permanent."

I'm not particularly fond of my first tattoo, but I don't regret it, either. It's located in a place that isn't very visible. It's no big deal. The tattoos I put a lot of planning into, custom work, no way do I regret them. Those who are into custom work don't "regret" them because there's a reason why they put so much time and money into that specific piece. While I may not be into tribal, my first tattoo, anymore, there's no way I would ever not be into or outgrow my custom pieces.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM
 
8,827 posts, read 6,318,473 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Low social status? In what region is this? Is this like a super affluent, predominantly Caucasian area in the NE or something? The individuals I know who are moderately tattooed, I don't count a fairy on the shoulder blade or lower back as someone part of a certain demographic. I'm talking people with several or more tattoos. They have been servicemembers and their spouses or individuals of varying walks of life. A good friend of mine is moderately tattooed, and is a university professor. Another is a physician, D.O., and guess what? He has a back piece.

I know quite a few tattooed people in academia, and many in STEM fields. So this "low social status" is pretty antiquated thinking from a few or more generations ago.

Just about anything can be said to be a "follower with little individuality" from religious ideologies, political leanings, music and movie tastes, fashion style. The perceived lack of individuality is not unique to any one subculture or practice.

I can easily claim people who watch X or believe Y are sheeple and lack coherent, individual thought and analysis. The argument can go both ways.
I agree, the old stereotype of low social class is disappearing and nowadays one can see folks that are educated with tattoos. However, the tattoos are still quite prevalent in the underclass. And many folks will discriminate based on the presence of tattoos. That is not right , I have seen plenty of nice folks with tattoos. But, it is what it is. And sadly folks with tattoos are bombarded with positive comments about their tattoos. I always praise people with tattoos even though i do not think they are cool at all. But, what else could one say? I am not about to tell anyone with a tattoo that they are insane, no way.


That others are also followers does not make lack of individuality acceptable.


Tattoos are so common that nowadays it is a rarity to find a young person without tattoos. So this probably means it is just a fad and most people are followers of fashion.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: USA
18,604 posts, read 13,747,844 times
Reputation: 12167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Nobody I know is sporting a Barney or Beiber tattoo. Maybe I don't run with the really rough crowd though.
I have tattoos and they all mean something to me. I made sure that I waited until I was in my 30s and that I knew what they would look like before I got them. I like the idea of art work on my body and I can cover them up if I so desire.
Hey don't knock them when they mean somthing to someone else. I got mine when I turned 38 and would never remove it
Attached Thumbnails
You don't have any tattoos?  What's up with that?-beiber.jpg  
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
6,947 posts, read 4,258,502 times
Reputation: 8932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree, the old stereotype of low social class is disappearing and nowadays one can see folks that are educated with tattoos. However, the tattoos are still quite prevalent in the underclass. And many folks will discriminate based on the presence of tattoos. That is not right , I have seen plenty of nice folks with tattoos. But, it is what it is. And sadly folks with tattoos are bombarded with positive comments about their tattoos. I always praise people with tattoos even though i do not think they are cool at all. But, what else could one say? I am not about to tell anyone with a tattoo that they are insane, no way.


That others are also followers does not make lack of individuality acceptable.


Tattoos are so common that nowadays it is a rarity to find a young person without tattoos. So this probably means it is just a fad and most people are followers of fashion.
Tattooing as a practice has been around for millennia, so it's not quite a "fad." I know more people who are not tattooed than those who are. The vast majority of my relatives do not have tattoos. The vast majority of men I have dated did not have tattoos. I can count on one hand the number of met I have gone out with that had tattoos. My first husband doesn't have any, and he's a former Marine. My current husband also doesn't have any, and no plans for any in the future. I have two dozen and counting.

If you're not into tattoos or don't think they're cool, it would seem best not to comment on them at all. It's disingenuous to comment positively about something you feel negatively about. I mean, I don't care for extreme body modification, and certainly wouldn't say it's "cool" since I believe otherwise. I don't think extreme plastic surgery looks "cool," either.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 PM
 
8,827 posts, read 6,318,473 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Tattooing as a practice has been around for millennia, so it's not quite a "fad." I know more people who are not tattooed than those who are. The vast majority of my relatives do not have tattoos. The vast majority of men I have dated did not have tattoos. I can count on one hand the number of met I have gone out with that had tattoos. My first husband doesn't have any, and he's a former Marine. My current husband also doesn't have any, and no plans for any in the future. I have two dozen and counting.

If you're not into tattoos or don't think they're cool, it would seem best not to comment on them at all. It's disingenuous to comment positively about something you feel negatively about. I mean, I don't care for extreme body modification, and certainly wouldn't say it's "cool" since I believe otherwise. I don't think extreme plastic surgery looks "cool," either.
Have you asked yourself why you don't date or marry men with tattoos?

This is avery difficult issue for many. Judging others because of tattoos is not right, but how does one get around this? In my case I get around this by knowing the person and realizing they are OK. But, why do I have to do this?

My wife likes Adam Levine a lot, but she always says: "I wish he did not have tattoos, they do not match him". Why is that? Why do we have this built-in prejudice?

BTW, one of our secretaries has a very tiny tattoo in the angle (a little rose) and I actually love the way she looked in high heels. The tattoo is tiny, colorful, and very well done with nice sharp borders.
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,591,367 times
Reputation: 19578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Have you asked yourself why you don't date or marry men with tattoos?

This is avery difficult issue for many. Judging others because of tattoos is not right, but how does one get around this? In my case I get around this by knowing the person and realizing they are OK. But, why do I have to do this?

My wife likes Adam Levine a lot, but she always says: "I wish he did not have tattoos, they do not match him". Why is that? Why do we have this built-in prejudice?

BTW, one of our secretaries has a very tiny tattoo in the angle (a little rose) and I actually love the way she looked in high heels. The tattoo is tiny, colorful, and very well done with nice sharp borders.
I have to say that Adam Levine looks lovely in every single one of his tattoos......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top