U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:38 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,837,859 times

Advertisements

Seems like the latest hipster craze. I know for a fact that very visable tats are going to keep you from employment in certain industries and with some companies. A lot of them. Perhaps some people just need something to help them stand out.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 PM

3,676 posts, read 3,254,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The OP is retired in the mid 60s.
I highly doubt there is a high school daughter....
The point is it sounds like high school behavior, to get caught up in "peer pressure" over tattoos.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM

2,969 posts, read 3,762,829 times
Tattoos have been a facet of culture for thousands of years. It must run deep in our psyche somewhere.
The Sythians would know their queen by her marks and apparently the scarring in African tattoos can literally be read by others, and reveals your clan.

However, I'm not on the Ukraine plateau with a bunch of horses looking for T. Bulba nor am I in Africa, where today I don't think I'd like to run into a bunch of machete wielding bros. from the clan down the road.

Personally, I don't see them as very feminine.

But I was holding out for Howard the Duck until everyone else got one.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,079,858 times
I have plenty of friends who has tattoo. I am 29. NO peer pressure here.
In fact this is the first time I ever heard a group of people said that.
Maybe it is time for her to find new friends.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,398,035 times
Tell her to just say she's "allergic" to needles.
Since every one of that group has some allergy or 'nother, she may get away with it.

Tats have always been tribal, BTW. That's not a racist comment, just a fact that tats have been used throughout the centuries to define who is "in" and who is "out" -- especially when everyone looked racially the same. It's also forbidden in the Jewish faith to have tats... which is why the first thing Hitler did was tattoo all the Jewish people he sent to the camps. So she could also claim it's forbidden by her faith...

Personally, it's not that I don't like a tasteful small tattoo on some people... it's that I'm old enough to know what happens to skin. Those jokes about tramp tats turning into drawings of monsters on oversized aging buttocks isn't far off. You can't stop Father Time... and very few tattoos on older people look flattering. The cost of removing them and the damage to the skin afterwards is enough to keep me from ever considering it... othern' that I'm allergic to needles

One of my kids wanted a tattoo. I convinced her to get a removable one at one of those state fairs. She had it for about a week and decided she didn't like having ink on her body. She washed it off and there were no more conversations about it.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,016,534 times
I'm nearly 40 and have no tattoos. Over the years, I thought of getting one but I never got around to it because I simply couldn't decide on what design to get. My opinion on tattoos is that some of them look cool and even sexy on some people. But, I think that unless you're into alternative scenes, tattoos generally look silly. The whole notion that a tattoo has a "profound meaning" is just ridiculous. It's nothing more than ink in your skin.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:17 PM

15,746 posts, read 11,750,377 times
She needs new friends.

I have tattoes and would never ask anyone to get them. None of my business what other people do with their bodies.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:23 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
I'm nearly 50 and I get it.

Mind you where I live, everyone's had tattoos for ever, there's a lot of old sailors, hookers, and rockers about.

I would never ever get a tattoo.

To me, it's like buying a pair of shoes and never taking them off, just wearing that same pair of shoes for the rest of your life no matter how tatty and unfashionable they become.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM

7,969 posts, read 6,716,042 times
For years I hid a tattoo on my right forearm by wearing long sleeve dress shirts while in a business environment. It was easy to do so as long sleeve dress shirts were the dress code at higher business levels, but another subject. Years back tattoos were considered a sign of low class people. My only advice is the trend of tattoos might wear off, especially as one climbs the corporate ladder, so consider how they might be covered. Like the classic tramp stamp can easily be hidden as can something on your back, shoulder, etc. Others cannot be so easily hidden. Just think twice about them showing is what I advise.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:02 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
I have 6 tats. 2 of them id very much like to either remove or cover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty