Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

Just today a co-worker asked me if I have any tattoos and she was very surprised that I don't. I'm not comfortable getting one at my age, but I think I'd go with one or two small ones if I was young. I really do not like large tattoos at all.

Besides, I always figured I would eventually stand out as the last one un-inked. LOL!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:26 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If you are 21-40 and don't have any tattoos do you get any peer pressure from your friends or family to get with the times and get some tats?
I don't have any, and don't plan to ever have any. I'm 53

Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Sounds like typical adolescent peer pressure. Sucks. Hopefully your daughter will stand her ground. I have tattoos and I would never suggest someone get one, let alone suggest it because "it's the thing to do". Ugh, people.
+1. I have two myself but I wouldn't pressure anyone to get any either. It is a personal decision, just like getting a piercing or a choice of clothing style. As for mine, they both have deep personal meanings. I thought about what I wanted for many months before getting them instead of choosing something on impulse. I think that's better if a person decides to get one.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
I have no tattoos, and I don't plan on getting any, ever. I know that what I like at this moment will change as I grow older. It would be sad to be stuck with a tattoo of Adam Levine for instance, when I am older and the band Maroon Five is no longer one of my favorites. I mean I was kind of into Barney when I was tiny, but who wants a tattoo of a giant purple dinosaur when they are an adult? Life and our likes and dislikes change.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:09 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
They're so commonplace now that actually it's considered hip & trendy NOT to have any lol.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
One of my daughters came by the house over the weekend and the conversation turned to tattoos.

She said that she is basically the only one of her group of friends who doesn't have a tattoo. Her friends have multiple tattoos and spend a lot of time talking about tattoos and planning their next tattoo. My daughter says that she feels like an outcast for not having a tattoo and is feeling lots of social and peer pressure to get some.

Her friends are always saying to her, "Why don't you get with it and gets some tattoos?"

If you are 21-40 and don't have any tattoos do you get any peer pressure from your friends or family to get with the times and get some tats?
No. AND She should not fall for peer pressure! That is ridiculous. Maybe time for some new friends! Seems like her friends don't have a lot to do, or are interested in anything else. That is boring, annoying, and not a way to spend quality time with someone.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I have no tattoos, and I don't plan on getting any, ever. I know that what I like at this moment will change as I grow older. It would be sad to be stuck with a tattoo of Adam Levine for instance, when I am older and the band Maroon Five is no longer one of my favorites. I mean I was kind of into Barney when I was tiny, but who wants a tattoo of a giant purple dinosaur when they are an adult? Life and our likes and dislikes change.
Isn't it cool, then, that folks can get tattoos of things other than children's show characters, pop stars, and the like, if they so choose?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
The only time it was ever an issue with me was with a woman I was interested in, and her in me. She had quite a bit of very nice body art. She made the statement several times that she preferred a man with ink. I took it that she had a fairly strong preference since she brought it up several times. That wasn't the only reason nothing materialized out of it but if someone has a preference and you’re not it, you’re starting out at a deficit.

Mod cut: Quoted post has been deleted.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-04-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
Quote:
One of my daughters came by the house over the weekend and the conversation turned to tattoos.

She said that she is basically the only one of her group of friends who doesn't have a tattoo. Her friends have multiple tattoos and spend a lot of time talking about tattoos and planning their next tattoo. My daughter says that she feels like an outcast for not having a tattoo and is feeling lots of social and peer pressure to get some.

Her friends are always saying to her, "Why don't you get with it and gets some tattoos?"

No.

While I do think some tattoos like nice, I personally would never get one, as I do love my blemish free skin. Additionally, I don't feel a need to express myself through body in any way, shape, or form.

I'm at an age (early 30s) and mindset/mentality, where peer pressure is a thing of the past (well...at least, for the most part).

I want you to encourage your daughter to resist the temptation to succumb to peer pressure and think for herself. No one should ever get a tattoo unless he/she wants one, and even then, he/she is 100% committed to having one.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
have a friend who got small mole removed for cosmetic reasons, yet she got a tattoo which she defends as "part of her" I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty