U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,587,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
One of my daughters came by the house over the weekend and the conversation turned to tattoos.

She said that she is basically the only one of her group of friends who doesn't have a tattoo. Her friends have multiple tattoos and spend a lot of time talking about tattoos and planning their next tattoo. My daughter says that she feels like an outcast for not having a tattoo and is feeling lots of social and peer pressure to get some.

Her friends are always saying to her, "Why don't you get with it and gets some tattoos?"

If you are 21-40 and don't have any tattoos do you get any peer pressure from your friends or family to get with the times and get some tats?
I'm at the high end of your age range, and I've never had anyone tell me I should get a tattoo. I've seriously considered getting them on several occasions but have never been able to commit to a design idea or a place on my body. Perhaps I will get one in the future. I don't really know. One thing that comes to mind with your daughter is that she should not ever do anything due to social or peer pressure; that's just common sense. If her friends outcast her over something so vain, that's crazy and shallow. If she is bored or tired of hearing her friends talk about tattoos, perhaps she should find other friends who have something more interesting (to her) to talk about.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 AM

6,940 posts, read 4,241,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Isn't it cool, then, that folks can get tattoos of things other than children's show characters, pop stars, and the like, if they so choose?
I know, right? I don't know anyone who has a tattoo of a cartoon character or pop star. And for my artwork, there is no "outgrowing" them since they have significant meaning and symbolism. They represent an important part of me, my journey and life.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:54 AM

832 posts, read 553,125 times
Have not yet read all of these posts (only 1st page), BUT...hubby's 18 yr. old granddaughter lives with us. There is peer pressure from her age group to be tattooed & pierced. . We started with the tattoo discussion when she first brought it up at 15 yrs. old. Kept hearing about ALL of her friends having them (AND her biological father is covered in them). Doubted this explanation of peer pressure until I started paying attention; to the bathing suit & swim short clad bodies in our pool, bodies in shorts, etc. And MOST of them DO have tattoos. She attended a small Christian school that prohibited tattoos, radical hair colors & styles, body piercings, etc. First thing SHE did upon graduation (actually, day before!) was get a tattoo. We are sort of disappointed that she did this. We are only hoping that (as we tried to explain) this tattoo will not become an unwanted "permanent reminder of a temporary feeling," to quote Jimmy Buffett. The world did not come to an end because she got a tattoo, but neither did it gain her any brownie points in her social circle. She is now just one of the many. One of the sheeple. Life among them got no better or easier. She gained no more popularity. I only hope "they" do not start jumping off buildings or eating poo. Not for or against anyone wanting a tattoo or piercing, just think a lot of thought needs to into the graphics, placement, and permanency.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 PM

144 posts, read 136,417 times
No. I personally hate that stuff. Same with too much make-up. If it covers up too many assets then just don't bother. Trashy trashy trashy!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:49 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,559,797 times
You know, my children are 18 and 20 and I have never heard talk of anyone they know pressuring them to get any tattoos.

My son voices his opinion that he doesn't like them, and doesn't want any. Every once in a while my daughter talks about maybe wanting one.

Did the OP even come back? His daughter most likely is not adolescent, and I am sure she can make her decisions on her own whether or not she wants something like that without someone telling her.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 4,291,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I know, right? I don't know anyone who has a tattoo of a cartoon character or pop star. And for my artwork, there is no "outgrowing" them since they have significant meaning and symbolism. They represent an important part of me, my journey and life.
No, but I do know a lot of people who have tattoos of exes, either their name or face. Now that that person is no longer in their life the tattoo is unwanted. I know many people who try to cover their tattoos because they don't like them any longer. If you want them, get them, but no one should be pressured to do so.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:02 PM

613 posts, read 570,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
One of my daughters came by the house over the weekend and the conversation turned to tattoos.

She said that she is basically the only one of her group of friends who doesn't have a tattoo. Her friends have multiple tattoos and spend a lot of time talking about tattoos and planning their next tattoo. My daughter says that she feels like an outcast for not having a tattoo and is feeling lots of social and peer pressure to get some.

Her friends are always saying to her, "Why don't you get with it and gets some tattoos?"

If you are 21-40 and don't have any tattoos do you get any peer pressure from your friends or family to get with the times and get some tats?
Tell your daughter I have had several tattoos on my upper arms for almost 30 years. I am socking away money to get them blasted off, once and for all, now that the lasers have improved.

If she does get tattooed it should be in a place that is easily covered. Letting your freak flag fly is great when you are young, but when you get to be middle-aged, not so much. I haven't worn a sleeveless top in 20 years :/

Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,988,624 times
I'm 39 and know a lot of people my age with tattoos. I considered getting one for a while but just never did. The other day I was out somewhere and saw a lady with what, in my opinion, was a rather hideous tattoo on her calf. All I could think was, "Wow, that's never coming off." I then decided I would never consider getting a tattoo again. I don't think there's anything wrong with them. I just now know that it's not for me.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:10 PM

92 posts, read 78,486 times
No, I've never had friends pressure me to get tattoos and I have friends who have them.
I'm 30 y.o., she needs new friends.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,969,625 times
I'm 30 and never felt peer pressured into getting one. I have friends with them and I've dated guys with tattoos (though I probably wouldn't date someone who was covered head to toe), but they are not to my taste and I'll never get one. I think they look trashy. There are so many ways to express yourself or show tribute to someone or whatever it is you're trying to do without getting a permanent mark on your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.