U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2014, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
10,053 posts, read 6,999,787 times
Reputation: 4982

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:21 AM
 
14,810 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Reputation: 11772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I think the term originally and traditionally applied to a white male over six feet tall with dark features--dark according to white people--to include dark brown or black hair, dark eyes and olive or tan skin. But of course people can use it however they choose these days because the world is diverse and not only caucasian men possess these features. In fact (and obviously) men of other ethnicities possess these features even more so.
It doesn't make sense to call a white guy "dark" just because he's not "pale white"
That only makes sense if you think that men anybody darker than white doesn't exist.

But we all know that Hollywood have their own reality which a lot of times has nothing to do with the real World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Reputation: 25988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
When I was growing up, it didn't occur to me it meant anything but a tanned white man, but obviously I can see that it could have a different meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I think the term originally and traditionally applied to a white male over six feet tall with dark features--dark according to white people--to include dark brown or black hair, dark eyes and olive or tan skin. But of course people can use it however they choose these days because the world is diverse and not only caucasian men possess these features. In fact (and obviously) men of other ethnicities possess these features even more so.
It is sort of like how when you say "brunette" someone who lets say, looks like me (or any of the range of shades black women come in), never comes to mind, although most of us naturally are brunette.

I guess now, maybe Kim Kardashian or Sofia Vergara might count as brunettes these days.

Historically, these terms aren't very inclusive. I am sure my 8 year old self asked my parents about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2014, 04:45 AM
 
14,810 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Reputation: 11772
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is sort of like how when you say "brunette" someone who lets say, looks like me (or any of the range of shades black women come in), never comes to mind, although most of us naturally are brunette.

I guess now, maybe Kim Kardashian or Sofia Vergara might count as brunettes these days.

Historically, these terms aren't very inclusive. I am sure my 8 year old self asked my parents about this.
If you look like them... I gotta see a picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM
 
Location: In the Zombie Room
1,603 posts, read 2,681,773 times
Reputation: 2466
Julio Cesar - goalie for Brazil *swoon*

Nacho Figueras - Argentinian polo player

and a young Andy Garcia ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 PM
 
Location: WNY (NOT NYC for the geographically challenged)
70 posts, read 105,114 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
What's the MEDIAN (half taller/half shorter) of the AVERAGE American Male???

Hint: yes, it's dropped since there are so many Asians around, but you'll be surprised at the answer.
What the hell, nobody else seemed to care so I'll give it a shot -5'9"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
4,747 posts, read 7,537,784 times
Reputation: 9686
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
John Stamos (current)
Yeah, but not so sure about the "tall".

In his day, Sean Connery.

Also, and don't laugh, again in his heyday, Rick Springfield. I was always a sucker for the "pretty" boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
4,747 posts, read 7,537,784 times
Reputation: 9686
Oh, two I forgot.

Chris Noth, and a young Alec Baldwin (minus the politics and attitude, the perfect tall, dark, and handsome example, in his prime).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Paranaguá, Brazil
111 posts, read 228,207 times
Reputation: 119
It makes me think of those handsome "Latin lover" type guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2014, 09:24 PM
 
Location: 60630
11,635 posts, read 17,044,904 times
Reputation: 10632
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top