U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:00 PM

770 posts, read 739,869 times

Advertisements

I think a shaved head is ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:07 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Why would you shave your head if you had hair?

I never understand why men do that.
For some men it ends up working better. Maybe they thing their hair is annoying. But being bald also makes your features stand out too.

Like I think Boris Kodjoe looks way better without hair:
hair: http://content6.flixster.com/photo/4...686724_ori.jpg
no hair: http://www.hdwallcloud.com/wp-conten...ds-2011-01.jpg

Old 06-04-2014, 03:23 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,030,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
For some men it ends up working better. Maybe they thing their hair is annoying. But being bald also makes your features stand out too.

Like I think Boris Kodjoe looks way better without hair:
hair: http://content6.flixster.com/photo/4...686724_ori.jpg
no hair: http://www.hdwallcloud.com/wp-conten...ds-2011-01.jpg
Boris Kodjoe looks great bald, but he is the exception. Most men look better with hair.

I always thought that baldness is something that one resigns himself to because of hair loss. Not something to choose over a full head of hair.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM

13,230 posts, read 11,764,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
I think a shaved head is ugly.
Some men can pull it off quite well, but it's not my preference. I'm not into buzz cuts either since I prefer hair long enough to run my fingers through. As for what impression a shaved head gives me? Nothing in particular.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,444,169 times
Not a fan--but in the grand scheme, it really doesn't matter, right?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 PM

8,716 posts, read 8,919,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Why would you shave your head if you had hair?

I never understand why men do that.

It's a lot cooler in the summer, great for motorcycle helmets or hardhats, etc etc. I know guys who work construction and do it because it helps them stay cooler by letting them put a rag on their bald head under the hard hat. My buddy has a full head of hair and shaves it because his wife loves how he looks with a shaved head vs hair.

I shave mine due to thinning hair at a young age. I haven't heard anything negative from it. Some women hate it, but i've found a lot that like it.

I got a chuckle at the comments about shaving your head means you are lazy or cheap. I assure you, for me to shave my head is neither laziness or cheap. I need to use some pretty expensive razors that do not give me razor burn, good shaving cream for same reason and I follow up with a conditioner that gets it pretty smooth. Takes me 20 minutes to shave it every 2 days, and the cost of product/razors far exceeds what I spent on haircuts. Growing hair would save me money.

If science every produces a cure (and they may be getting close) i still might shave my head. I just would like the option of growing it out in the winter for warmth.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Gotta agree with everything you said, especially the bolded. My handsome hub has shaved his head the past few years. Now when I see photos of him with the "George Costanza" hairstyle, I think how much older and less attractive he looked then.
Does anyone have a link to a picture of someone with the "George Costanza" hairstyle who looks good because of it? While not everyone has the right head shape to look good bald (I don't, for iinstance), I don't think hair fringe looks good on anyone ever, and being completely bald often does.

On some men, bald is a cooler look than a fringe, and sometimes even if they have hair.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:58 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The reason I shaved my head was thinning...
I think most men shave for this reason. If you like it & are comfortable, that's all that matters.

Personally, I don't like the Vin Diesel look, but I know most women disagree. You may look fine, but it's not a flattering look on many, imo. It's a style which draws so much attention to the face & the size/shape of the head... I've seen men who look like pumpkins & others with teeny tiny heads that it just strikes me as an odd look.

I have 3 thoughts when I see a shaved head. Aren't they cold? Do they moisturize their sensitive scalps? Don't they get sunburned?

If you like it, rock it.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,036,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
A lot of them seem to think they're sooooo tough. It's kind of sad really. Full of ego and pretenses. Trying to look like a big intimidating bulldog on the outside, hiding a tweeting little canary on the inside.

BTW - my comments are tongue in cheek. Though I dunno, they look a bit like giant babies to me. Babies tend to have very little hair. Real men have lots of hair (and not just on their head).
That's funny, cause when I see men with lots of hair I think they look more like women then men. Especially when it's clear that the dude spends a lot of time to make it nice like a woman's.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,036,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I am honestly amazed at the amount of people in here who immediately make stereotypes based on a shaved head. It's like 1950 in this thread!
Probably because most of the people in it were alive in 1950
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty