Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Which is more attractive, a shaven pate (or tight buzz/very short) or sweaty clumped strands revealing the pink, sunburned scalp underneath?

I am thinning and when my hair is perfectly clean and dry, it looks fine, even with the pink, proto-bald spot, but any sweating or water on my hair and it looks terrible. My hair also naturally parts on the side and I had a good looking woman I work with say, "I can see your future comb-over." I am not proud, I accept myself, but that made me feel like sh-.

I don't work in an air conditioned office, my only exercize from walking to the air-conditioned break room, I work hard, in a hot climate, and I also bike and walk, sun or rain, so I am thinking of going to 'very short' (>.75"), but probably not buzz cut or entirely bald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
When you see a man with a shaved head, what sort of impression does it give you?

When I shaved my head, one of my female coworkers said it made me look meaner. Mostly I got favorable responses. But the "meaner" statement got me thinking.

In my part of the country, shaved heads are not that uncommon. Three other guys at my church have shaved heads. As an added detail I have a small trim beard (just on chin-no mustache)
I used to keep my head shaved. I've had a few people tell me that I have a good shape for a shaved head. I thought it worked.

However, in recent years, due to not being able to have a haircut, I had to grow my hair out. I thought it was horrible. It did go through an awkward stage. Eventually, I came to like it because I thought my hair had personality. So I worked on my hair to find a style that I felt suited me. Now, I am treated so much better than I ever was with a shaved head.

Made me wonder about some of the comments about the clippers taking my hair. I used to have people tell me that I should grow out my hair.

Now, I did and everyone is happy.

I'll go back to the shaved head when my hairline recedes.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Generally I like it.

But it really depends on the rest of your features whether it gives off a "mean" impression. Pretty hard to have dimples and a shaved head and come across as mean.

But I've like shaved heads since I was like 10 anyway.

If you've got on combat boots and camo in an area where people in the military aren't common, then potentially sketchy comes to mind.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times

Wow, this thread provides a lot of insight as to why I was treated the way I was when I was bald.

I am definitely holding on to my hair.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Generally I like it.

But it really depends on the rest of your features whether it gives off a "mean" impression. Pretty hard to have dimples and a shaved head and come across as mean.

But I've like shaved heads since I was like 10 anyway.

If you've got on combat boots and camo in an area where people in the military aren't common, then potentially sketchy comes to mind.
Gotta looooove "them" dimples!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
I think some men with shaved heads may appear to look more mean or tough. But I also think that depending on how the person looks, a balding head/receding hairline/etc. can make a guy look a little like a creeper, or unkempt, or prematurely aging. So a large or muscly guy who isn't balding, may look better and be treated in a more friendly manner if he has his hair (and be encouraged by others to grow his hair out), while a thinner or balding-in-an-unattractive-way guy may look better going completely bald and is encouraged by those around him to go bald.

I have both a cousin and a friend who were, for years, encouraged to just shave it all off. When they finally did, they started to get so many compliments.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Wow, do you realize the time and effort it takes to shave your head every day or every couple days? It is really easier to wash, dry, and comb hair. Personlly, I had never even thought a man who shaves their head would be considered anything but choosing a different hair style. Lots of swimmers and surfers shave their heads instead of just rubbing the sun screen on their hair so they don't get skin cancer.

I would shave my head if I had to have chemo and my hair was going to start falling out in big blotches, too, and I am a woman. If my child had leukemia and lost their hair, I would shave my head to make them feel more confident, too.

Lots of reasons for shaved heads in this world......maybe it just isn't common in some areas; but here in Florida it is pretty normal to see many many men everyday who shave their heads. And it does not make them ugly or look mean unless they already looked ugly or mean with hair. It also does not mean they are lazy or too poor to get their hair cut.

If a guy is getting the round bald spot on top their head and keeps the hair on the side....now that is kind of ugly in my book and they would look younger and more professional by shaving their head. Bald is beautiful!
Gotta agree with everything you said, especially the bolded. My handsome hub has shaved his head the past few years. Now when I see photos of him with the "George Costanza" hairstyle, I think how much older and less attractive he looked then.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
TJenkins
You wrote "...due to not being able to have a haircut...".
I don't know what the factors were in that situation but I chose to buy a clipper set & learn to buzz my own hair down very short about a decade ago. Keeping it as short as regularly as I wanted it to be short was getting expensive so I made the choice to save a few bucks & keep it shorter to my ideal with a weekly buzz by learning to clip it myself.
I'm sure that you look fine either way but the important thing is that YOU are happy with your current look. I know that I am, something that I would never have believed was possible during all of the years when I lamented my growing loss of hair which bothered me tremendously.
I'm fortunate in that a buzzed/bald look is in vogue & appreciated by a large segment of the population. To the haters of the look, I don't care what you think.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I used to keep my head shaved.
Why would you shave your head if you had hair?

I never understand why men do that.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:44 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The only time I don't care for it is when someone has a roll of flesh at the back of their skull, .
I am the total opposite on this- I love the little rolls of flesh that some men have at the back of their necks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty