U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 AM

774 posts, read 1,637,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Why is it okay for us to look at women with cellulite or rather large legs, thighs and shorts that show "everything" while men are supposed to look like monks? Here again, not advocating "daisy dukes" for men, but a little leg is not going to hurt anything. JMHO
Excellent post! I still never can understand how we got sold the idea that male thighs are disgusting and that long, baggy shorts are actually comfortable to wear in the hot weather. I recently went on a roadtrip that included several major cities and fortunately, it looks like the shorter shorts look is definitely coming back. It is mostly younger white guys sporting the look. I like shorts with an inseam of 3 to 5 inches. Not daisy dukes, but well above the knee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 AM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Why is it okay for us to look at women with cellulite or rather large legs, thighs and shorts that show "everything" while men are supposed to look like monks? Here again, not advocating "daisy dukes" for men, but a little leg is not going to hurt anything. JMHO
I completely agree. I don't know how we got sold on the ridiculous idea that the male leg is disgusting. It makes no sense.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:03 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,522,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I completely agree. I don't know how we got sold on the ridiculous idea that the male leg is disgusting. It makes no sense.
I like my legs. If seeing them makes you feel disgusted don't look.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:28 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,543,825 times
Being a runner, I wear short shorts for running/racing. However other than that, I wear long pants 99% of the time, just more comfortable.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:50 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I like my legs. If seeing them makes you feel disgusted don't look.
Exactly.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:01 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,383,435 times
i suppose the nba should go back to the lil bit shorts too

Old 06-14-2014, 06:14 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,688,674 times
Not everyone looks good in the same style of shorts. I am a slender guy and my limbs are fairly long for my size. I wear 9" inseams. They stop about 1" above my knee and look the best on me. Shorter is weird and out of proportion on my elongated thighs.

As far as v-necks and button-up shirts being left open a few buttons at the top, this is nothing "new" these have been popular/back in style for several years now...

Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 PM

857 posts, read 724,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Thats the thing about change. Someone has to be the one to start it.
And that's the thing about pasty white legs. You have to wear something short or they'll never tan.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I wear shorts above my knees for three years now. I guess that's what you meant with short shorts? It has been the trend for a while now for both straight and gay men (at least in Miami, NYC and Philly that I know of).
I don't think any men; both straight and gay, will wear daisy dukes. Their "berries" will be hanging out the bottom part of the shorts' openings!

And I am gay so I guess my opinion does not count! ;P
I don't think gay or straight has much bearing on this anymore. Many times I've driven through WeHo on hot summer days, and not once in at least twenty years have I seen any guy wearing short shorts of any kind.

ETA: Granted, when they show the Pride parades on the news, there are usually some scantily clad men, but that would be the exception, IME.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
gross

men's thighs should not be showing

if you ask me men should wear britches most of the time and basketball "style" shorts around the house, for yardwork and for hooping
A good example of how the attitudes changed, in a couple of ways. First, we somehow got to a point where so many people basically started saying, eww! Men's legs! Concurrently, we also arrived at the consensus that what others thought of your clothing always trumped wearing what was comfortable. This attitude has usually been sensible and practical in many business and social settings, but not so much for hot weekends at the beach, on the hiking trail, or by the pool. What used to be different is that guys were "allowed" more leeway back in the day.

Short shorts are worn by many, many women who have less than perfect figures. I happen to think that almost all of them look good regardless, and I wouldn't be surprised if a great many men agree with me. I for one don't expect that only people with "perfect" young bodies should be allowed to wear any kind of revealing attire, whether male or female. That's not to say we should be dangling our berries in public view, but come on, "manpris" are insane. So is calling it a "short short" when it hits just above the knee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or