Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I guess the professional environments with which I'm familiar (tech) are pretty conservative then, because the women all wear slacks. I haven't seen a skirt outside of a holiday celebration since...well...pretty much ever!
And did you ever stop to think that these are not usually the most fashion forward and stylish women, in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I see it every day where I work. While all types of women are guilty of it, I find that Asian women are the biggest abusers of short skirts in the workplace.
Because they are usually so short themselves, it looks more cute than inappropriate, no matter how short the skirt and how high the heels.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
It actually seems more of a 90s thing...but maybe it's making a comeback?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And did you ever stop to think that these are not usually the most fashion forward and stylish women, in general?
Yes, that has crossed my mind. No need to get your back up.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
I've noticed and it depends on the woman, her position and other circumstances. As a woman with a bigger butt and wide hips and a more curvy figure I know that wearing leggings or short skirts would be provocative. My body is very similar to coco austin(best comparison) minus the boobs. I know that i just can't wear certain clothing without giving off the wrong vibe. Knowing this I'm careful about what I wear. The reality is they certain styles and outfits just look better or more polished on certain people. Not everyone can pull of a style or a look and recognizing the best way to dress yourself so that you project the image you want to project is very important.
My sister and other slimmer women with smaller butts, and less curves can wear short skirts and dresses and it doesn't look sexual at all. Half the time even I think it looks fine. I have seen women that when wearing certain outfits look very sexy or not work appropriate and I often chalk it up to either being younger and not realizing how much dress code matters or they normally dress sexier for certain attention(not necessarily for attention within the workplace but in general to feel sexy and validated). More often than not they are not always aware of how it might be perceived and the implications of how it effects their professional careers.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Is there a length that's considered too short by almost everyone, regardless of how nice legs look in them? For example, covering less than 1/3 of the thighs? And how common is it for women to show off that much leg in schools or workplaces?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I have a pretty hard and fast rule about work. I think fingertip length is a good rule of thumb. If you are at work, your skirt/dress/shorts should be at least that long. Yes, if you have shorter or longer arms, that can vary a bit. But that is just your burden!

As for other occasions, well it depends on the occasion and locale. It is fine to wear a short outfit to a night club or at a casual place for dinner. At "nicer" places or the orchestra/symphony/ballet super short stuff just isn't appropriate in my book.

And I do reserve the right to wonder, if you are wearing a super short item, if it is possible to pick up something from the floor discretely. Or if it is a good plan to sit on public transit in your outfit.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:31 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Hey, the girls gotta get their boss's attention somehow.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
is short skirts being considered acceptable to wear in business situations and the like.

Is it just me, or have the standards changed? It seems cleavage is still a no-no, but I have noticed more and more respectable women wearing skirts far above their knees. I recently attended an academic residency and was surprised to see a lot of the female faculty (PhDs) wearing short skirts and dresses, but always with a modest neckline.

Btw, no value judgment here at all, just an observation.
Obviously you've never watched Mad Men.

Those mini skirts used to be everywhere. Barely covering the crotch, even in the office.

Not many women have fantabulous legs, so it mostly looks kinda sad.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Obviously you've never watched Mad Men.

Those mini skirts used to be everywhere. Barely covering the crotch, even in the office.

Not many women have fantabulous legs, so it mostly looks kinda sad.
Mad Men was also set in a time where women weren't in the workplace near the amount they are in now, and the workplace was a male-dominated place in general. Women probably dressed like that thinking it was to their advantage, but now it would look silly and unprofessional. There have been studies and surveys to show men don't think too highly of female managers who dress this way, as it gives off the impression they're using their sexuality to get what they want.

If you want to get people's respect-- not their admiration of your body-- in the workplace, a skirt or dress shouldn't be any higher than 2 inches above the knee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty