U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appreciate and want to see more plus size models
I'm a woman and I would like to see more plus size models 57 37.01%
I'm a woman and I would like to see fewer plus size models 7 4.55%
I'm a woman and I don't care one way or another 27 17.53%
I'm a man and I would like to see more plus size models 29 18.83%
I'm a man and I would like to see fewer plus size models 21 13.64%
I'm a man and I don't care one way or another 13 8.44%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 PM

18,584 posts, read 13,710,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Since nobody has a magic wand that makes you *POOF* lose weight, what do you suggest people wear in the meantime? Would you rather they go naked while over a size (whatever), or just throw on a Muumuu like in the old days?

Not that I'm saying we should all get huge, and for the record, I've maintained a significant & healthy weight loss for almost a decade... but due to how I am naturally shaped, no matter how much I lose, I will NEVER be that perfect little size 4/6 they push as ideal. Even at my very lowest weight, around 128-130lbs, I was still wearing a size 10/12 to accommodate the curves. It's taken a while to accept that, and I still (at age 37) have insecurities about those stupid numbers. Argh!

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, just saying that it doesn't work to "shame" or deprive people into losing weight - nor can everyone fit into small sizes, no matter what the scale says or how they appear. So we SHOULD celebrate diversity in our bodies, and let the focus be on health over appearance/numbers. And yes, one can be healthy over a 10.
"have insecurities about those stupid numbers. Argh!"
I wonder if this institutionalized shaming existed in the 50s? Looking at the Jane Mansfield and other fuller older actressees there was obviously not the shaming that goes on today. I'm sure the Fashion designers of their day designed to fit woman unlike those of today who apparently find women to fit their design. If anyone should be shamed it should be the designers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,975,456 times
I'd like to see a greater diversity in models' body types because it should encourage designers to make clothing that looks good on a wider variety of body types, rather than looking at the human body as a mobile hanger of standardized shape and size. Plus size is part of that, but also other forms outside what you generally see in the fashion industry.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:23 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,779,506 times
Models are selling a fantasy, not clothes. The women modeling those clothes don't exist. Their size (referring to models) is a non-issue to me for the simple fact that they aren't real and I don't buy into the fantasy.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:59 PM

21,492 posts, read 22,741,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post

High end designers aren't going to waste money on extra fabric to make a tiny portion of their consumers happy. One can't expect lululemon to cater to all sizes out of political correctness. There are many other athletic brands out there as far as clothing goes
Isn't this a chicken-and-egg thing, though? Maybe plus-sized people are only a tiny portion of high-end designer's customers because those designers don't make anything plus-sized people can wear. At a time when over half of the population is overweight, they're missing out on a lot of business.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,177,644 times
I don't think I've ever seen a fat, overweight male modeling clothes in a flyer at all. Now I don't go through flyers all the time, but when I do it's usually fit athletic males who are the models. This doesn't bother me at all. Advertising clothing looks visually more appealing when it's worn by someone more fit.

Just by looking at the models used, two I would consider Plus size, one I would say is overweight and the other I would consider on the low end of obese.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 PM

892 posts, read 1,128,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
some plus size models are gorgeous and what i consider healthy, but huge girls no way

Well I agree too a certain. A lot of times the bigger plus size models get a lot of the attention. Just recently plus size models have been smaller and put into the limelight.

I know a little bit about this industry as I was scouted by Ford 12+ division in New York. I was always too small in Chicago being a size 10 some 12 at the top, but I think it is more of a shape than anything because they would represent this type of girls but more hour glass shaped. I am more athletic toned type which I guess does not sell. The plus size models I look up are toned and fit and they are out there. But the out of shape one get more work so most people think all plus size models are fat or not toned.

Look for example of some in shape "plus" models

Signe Nordstrom
Amber Tolliver
and take a look at the Jessica London catalog. These women had my type of shape and what I aspire too,
but the most popular are people like Ashley Graham or Tara Lynn.

Robyn Lawley is popular right now and more in shape than most mainstream models, but she 6'2" which is unusual in the industry.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 PM

877 posts, read 1,027,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Isn't this a chicken-and-egg thing, though? Maybe plus-sized people are only a tiny portion of high-end designer's customers because those designers don't make anything plus-sized people can wear. At a time when over half of the population is overweight, they're missing out on a lot of business.
Well, wealthy people tend to make exercise and healthy eating a priority. But it's about money. Bigger clothing=more fabric=more money spent.
And a lot of the clothing that high end designers make really only compliment thin (and tall, keep that in mind) or at least in shape body types.

If high end designers don't make things for (what should be) average sized women, why would they jump the shark and make clothing for women above a size 10 or 12?

Keep in mind, plus sized models are generally taller than the average model as well. Taller is not better in the fashion industry. Most models are 5'8/5'9. So putting more plus sized models still will not be a representation of the average American woman.

And designers also have a large market in Asia and Europe, where obesity is not common.

ETA: Also, I only mentioned workout clothing cause some of y'all are mentioning it...? Of course I think they should wear whatever they want. Wear whatever is comfortable for the exercise/sport. Maybe other brands such as Athleta (GAPs brand) will step up?

Also, i'm not opposed to plus sized women dressing nicely either. i'm merely speaking on models.

Last edited by coffeendonuts; 06-06-2014 at 10:01 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,870,380 times
Yay. The plus-size demo is ridiculously undeserved, just cause someone's bigger than normal doesn't mean they shouldn't want or be able to dress nicely.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,227,133 times
Here is MY gripe with plus size models....

Why are they NOT showing AVERAGE plus size women?
They are in FACT no different from skinny thin models.

Why?
They all have the perfect figures(or photoshop)

They have ample chest and buttoms,a small waists with no cellulite or stretchmarks,and flat tummies.

There is one catalog that i know of that has true plus size women.
Its called BIGGALSLINGERIE.

Those are TRUE plus size women IMO.

Some average plus size woman might look at this and think
"Why do not have cellulite,rolls,and flat tummies but i do"?
In other words,women are back to square one...
looking at models with unattainable bodies.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:37 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,927,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I've said this in the past "if I can lift her up, she's good2go"
That's how I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty