Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appreciate and want to see more plus size models
I'm a woman and I would like to see more plus size models 57 36.77%
I'm a woman and I would like to see fewer plus size models 7 4.52%
I'm a woman and I don't care one way or another 27 17.42%
I'm a man and I would like to see more plus size models 30 19.35%
I'm a man and I would like to see fewer plus size models 21 13.55%
I'm a man and I don't care one way or another 13 8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 AM

31,013 posts, read 22,056,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Where is a size 8 considered "Plus Size"????? I haven't seen that.
That is ridiculus, considering the average in the US is a 12-14. You would think the Fasion industry would understand their market and basic math, and realize that an 8 is smaller than the average.

Is their a Store out there that caters to the Average woman and man? I would think all the major department stores would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:39 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,342 times
some plus size models are gorgeous and what i consider healthy, but huge girls no way

Old 06-06-2014, 11:40 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Ugh. Getting into sizes discussion of "OMG is size 8 is blah blah....." or "A size 12 is blah blah...." doesn't matter.

As long as there is a need for plus sized clothing we should have plus sized models. Who cares what and/or/how the skinny gay guys in the fashion industry who don't like women, define as "plus sized". Plus sized women would like to see the clothes that they wear being modeled by women their size so they can make informed decisions on what they want to wear.

Plus sized clothing needs plus sized models. Just don't go parading about trying to sell plus sized models as being sexy because although they can be beautiful, there is nothing "sexy" about being plus sized.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:01 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,371 times
Why does anything have to be called "Plus size" anyway? Why not just have sizes. Why separate them into the categories like that.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:45 PM

256 posts, read 342,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

Plus sized clothing needs plus sized models. Just don't go parading about trying to sell plus sized models as being sexy because although they can be beautiful, there is nothing "sexy" about being plus sized.
hahahahahahahahaha.... OKAY.... they can't be sexy. I'm a size 12, and i'm sexy. I know i'm sexy, sexy has little to do with looks. Sexy is just that "special little something" you either have or you don't. Being under size 12 doesn't automatically make a woman sexy, so being a size 12 or larger doesn't automatically make a woman unsexy. I think many people here can agree with that, especially all those men who find their wives sexy at any weight.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
.....sexy has little to do with looks. .
It has a LOT to do with looks which is one of the main points of this thread - the LOOK of plus sized models.

I have no problem or issue with plus sized models. Like I said, as long as there is a need for plus sized clothes, we need to have plus sized models. Just don't go around trying to compare the plus sized models to the "normal" sized models we see in Victorias Secret fashion shows or Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition because they are NOT the same.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:08 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
hahahahahahahahaha.... OKAY.... they can't be sexy. I'm a size 12, and i'm sexy. I know i'm sexy, sexy has little to do with looks. Sexy is just that "special little something" you either have or you don't. Being under size 12 doesn't automatically make a woman sexy, so being a size 12 or larger doesn't automatically make a woman unsexy. I think many people here can agree with that, especially all those men who find their wives sexy at any weight.
Yeah, sexy is pretty much determined by appearance. Sure, confidence is nice. But no amount of confidence will make up for a lack of physical appeal.

Plus size women are sexy to some men, but the majority of men will take an Irina Shayk or Adriana Lima over a plus sized chick.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
It depends on the audience you are trying to sell to. If there are mostly plus sized clients, then use plus sized models.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times
I just don't understand one thing. Why does women's clothes have a distinction between plus size and normal size. Clothing size just a number for goodness sake (7,12,17, whatever), don't pressure into their heads what is "plus size" and "normal".

My body is composed of a muscular chest, back, shoulders, and thighs, a plushy beer belly, skinny calf, and average sized arms. I usually wear size L (36-38 waist) in America. Bottom line, its just a freaking number, just wear what fits well.

With that said, regular exercise is important. I do moderate weightlifting (90-135 lb) for an hour 4 days every week to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. Doctor says my risk of heart disease has reduced dramatically since starting regular exercise.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-06-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM

677 posts, read 652,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
It has a LOT to do with looks which is one of the main points of this thread - the LOOK of plus sized models.

I have no problem or issue with plus sized models. Like I said, as long as there is a need for plus sized clothes, we need to have plus sized models. Just don't go around trying to compare the plus sized models to the "normal" sized models we see in Victorias Secret fashion shows or Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition because they are NOT the same.
Beauty and sexiness has nothing to do with size, and the way you talk about it is mostly culturally ingrained. Go back a few centuries and the skinny model types of today would have been considered ugly. Once you break out of the stupid advertising branded cultural bias you will find that women of ANY size can be either beautiful or ugly. I have seen incredibly ugly people of all sizes, and incredibly beautiful people of all sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty