U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 AM
 
Location: MN
1,306 posts, read 1,345,172 times
Reputation: 1578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
The problem I see is that women's fashions have become about being undressed rather than dressed.

Men have always been dressed, no problem there.
I disagree. A lot of women's fashions cover up more skin but do it femininely. However those fashions are considered hideous, prudish, matronly, and what have you. As you may have already seen, I've posted pictures for illustrative purposes to show how women can dress nicely without showing lots of skin and most people said they were awful. I could care less if they didn't like the clothes themselves; I was using the general outline of the clothes to show how it's not all about being undressed.

As I have also witnessed here on CDF, there is the idea to gain a man's attention one must show more skin or else they never, ever, ever look. Ever. Also, if you aren't sexy to appeal to a man you suck. Oh yeah, dressing femininely and tastefully sucks, too. I've already come to the conclusion most of the people at CDF have a very insular view when it comes to fashion, compared to the countless blogs, forums, and people IRL I've talked to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 AM
 
Location: CA
459 posts, read 286,765 times
Reputation: 759
Default Wow...

I'm nearly speechless after reading through all this.
What comes to mind first is the ol' cliche, "Opinions and _ssholes, everybody's got one... and they all stink".
I may be way too open-minded for this site. I dunno. That's all I can muster right now... (if ever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 09:55 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,272,785 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I disagree. A lot of women's fashions cover up more skin but do it femininely. However those fashions are considered hideous, prudish, matronly, and what have you.
Only because women's fashions and the latest fashions are to be undressed, rather than dressed. Naturally, being dressed looks frumpy, old-fashioned, matronly and prudish regardless of how cute the fabric, how unique the design. If it doesn't make the woman look somewhat undressed in comparison to the man, it's not "fashionable."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,099 posts, read 3,390,521 times
Reputation: 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I see there are sometimes discussions about women who dress revealing and complain about the attention. What about the women who don't dress revealing and get attention?

The attention would obviously be different. Suppose you're a relatively modest woman who'd rather not have her boobs all hanging out. Or have her butt cheeks so pronounced you can see every contour. Now you're wearing a nice outfit in flattering colors and you end up receiving the attention of men. Is this necessarily a bad thing?

Sometimes I think we've demonized male attention because of the women who dress revealing and believe they should be able to select for who gives them attention. I've seen a lot of women who wear tasteful and flattering sundresses and men will look at them, but they aren't looking at them like a piece of meat. The men are looking at them as if saying "that's a feminine woman." Or heck, they might look because it may have been the first time they've seen a woman look tasteful in a long time and they can't believe it. Maybe they notice a particular item the woman is wearing and that gets their attention, in contrast to her breasts, butt, or legs. Wouldn't it be preferable if a man noticed a woman's face, the color of her dress, or how a necklace makes her look rather than how much cleavage she has? I find this topic (both sides) interesting.
Sometimes it is interesting how the 'universe' coincides with reality.

Minnesota Woman Calls Out Catcallers

Minnesota Woman Calls Out Catcallers | Video - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,272,785 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Sometimes it is interesting how the 'universe' coincides with reality.

Minnesota Woman Calls Out Catcallers

Minnesota Woman Calls Out Catcallers | Video - ABC News
Good for her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Sometimes it is interesting how the 'universe' coincides with reality.

Minnesota Woman Calls Out Catcallers

Minnesota Woman Calls Out Catcallers | Video - ABC News
Of all places, in Minnesota where one needs a jacket or sweater 9 months every year .

This year, people needed sweats up there even in July:

Monthly Weather Forecast for Duluth, MN - weather.com

^^
That is the equivalent of winter in northern Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2014, 04:07 PM
 
Location: MN
1,306 posts, read 1,345,172 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Of all places, in Minnesota where one needs a jacket or sweater 9 months every year .

This year, people needed sweats up there even in July:

Monthly Weather Forecast for Duluth, MN - weather.com

^^
That is the equivalent of winter in northern Florida.
Haha, I live in MN and that's true.

I heard about the callout on craigslist. It was all over the internet for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top