U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I see there are sometimes discussions about women who dress revealing and complain about the attention. What about the women who don't dress revealing and get attention?

The attention would obviously be different. Suppose you're a relatively modest woman who'd rather not have her boobs all hanging out. Or have her butt cheeks so pronounced you can see every contour. Now you're wearing a nice outfit in flattering colors and you end up receiving the attention of men. Is this necessarily a bad thing?
Why would it be a bad thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 05:54 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,870,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
ROFL who woulda thunk!?!

Wow, ornery much? If you had read my OP you would have seen I mentioned how it's not a bad thing to receive some attention, especially if it's positive. Getting looked at because you look nice is different than getting looked at because your butt is nearly hanging out. Just saying.

Of course I dress to attract a man. He's called my husband. My husband has also told me he's well aware that other men are going to look at me and it's not something either one of us can control. But I dress modestly anyway, so it's not for the sake of advertising goods. If you had read the OP, you'd see that I disagreed with having one's goodies hanging out. I guess you got a little carried away.

My point exactly. There is a difference between a compliment and having a man walk by with his tongue hanging out. There's nothing wrong with dressing in flattering clothes.
And what makes you think that I was responding to your OP.......I wasn't it was a post after your OP.....

I should gave used the quote but I didn't...

Old 06-08-2014, 05:54 PM

706 posts, read 912,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dress modestly. My daughters do as well.
No sleeveless tops
No pants
Skirts/dresses only and nothing higher than the knees sitting.
Nothing 4 fingers lower than your collar bone to avoid showing breast area
Nothing form fitting- shirt,skirt or otherwise.
Tights are allowed in winter under skirt
Bathsuits are fine within reason (no bikinis)
No ear piercing until 16+
No make up
Hair long (never cut, dyed or permed)
No nail polish

So I guess if you passed me in the street, you might even look straight by me because I dont stand out. Im not screaming for attention of any man but my husband. Any attention I get I would hope is based on my personality, not how I appear to look. If youre going to like me, make it because i said something funny not because i wore the cutest top at the mall.
We instill these values in our daughters (and our son for his future wife) because a woman is meant to save her body for her husband and dressing in a immodest way sends the wrong signals to a man (not that shes out for sex, but that shes not thinking of her self/spouse).

These are MY beliefs.
Wow!

Are you a Mormon? Just asking because those are pretty strict standards. Not criticizing, of course..we are all entitled to dress as we want for whatever reasons we want.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:08 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,635,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Wow!

Are you a Mormon? Just asking because those are pretty strict standards. Not criticizing, of course..we are all entitled to dress as we want for whatever reasons we want.
No, not mormon

Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,344,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would it be a bad thing?

Because we constantly hear from women how awful it is for men to pay attention to them. I get women don't like cat-calling, especially if they're not dressed provocatively. But a man just looking isn't bad, so why do women demonize that?

Quote:
Wow!

LOL my mom had half those standards when I was growing up. Parents are allowed to decide how their children should look if they live in their home.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM

706 posts, read 912,068 times
Of course they are! Again, I wasn't criticizing just making an observation and wondering if it was because of religious beliefs. My parents were also strict about what we could and could not wear as kids, just not that strict.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,151,636 times
Quote:
Wow!

That sounds more like Oneness Holiness Apostolic or UPC.They believe it's required to make heaven.....

Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,635,095 times
Quote:
Of course they are! Again, I wasn't criticizing just making an observation and wondering if it was because of religious beliefs. My parents were also strict about what we could and could not wear as kids, just not that strict.
It is for religious reasons as well as moral reasons. My parents were not this strict growing up. They had rules but not this many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
That sounds more like Oneness Holiness Apostolic or UPC.They believe it's required to make heaven.....
I am not either of those beliefs. I also dont believe it has anything to do with getting in heaven or making an impression to God.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:40 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,151,636 times
[quote=Ohky0815;35151272

I am not either of those beliefs. I also dont believe it has anything to do with getting in heaven or making an impression to God.[/QUOTE]
Cool...

Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,579,606 times
If you've got it, flaunt it. Male disrespect towards females is entirely a function of male mentality, and not of female fashion. If you have the opportunity to spread beauty and joy around the world, do it. Do we lock Mona Lisa in a safe where no one can view it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty