U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM

706 posts, read 911,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Mormon standards are not that strict!
Admittedly, I do not now that much about the Mormon faith. The few Mormons that I have known dressed very conservatively, so I assumed that modest attire was a general rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They don't. I've never heard of women who dress tastefully complaining about being looked at. There's nothing wrong with that.
The problem is, dressing "tastefully" doesn't save everyone from lewd/rude behavior. Did you see the study out this week? About 60% of women have been cat called or had unpleasant comments about their appearance. And 40% of women have had incidents with physical contact.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5445956.html

Old 06-08-2014, 08:57 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem is, dressing "tastefully" doesn't save everyone from lewd/rude behavior. Did you see the study out this week? About 60% of women have been cat called or had unpleasant comments about their appearance. And 40% of women have had incidents with physical contact.

Study Confirms What It's Like To Walk Down The Street While Female
Might be true in Newark, Trenton, Camden, St. Louis, Detroit, NO, parts of Los Angles, parts of Oakland, and other bad places. But lewd behavior isn't all that common in most reasonably safe areas. Once again, why would anybody (man or woman) want to go nearby an area filled with GFN guys who cause trouble. Most guys out there are nice people, its only a few who lose control and act in an indecent manner.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-08-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 08:59 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,754,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
It is ridiculous for you to dress in tight clothing then get upset when you get male attention. Even if it's not your reason for wearing such things, that doesn't change the fact that men will get the wrong idea, and their eyes will be instinctively drawn to you. Tough shi*, that's how the world goes round.
Bingo. Understand--this doesn't mean a woman needs to be covered head-to-toe when it's 95'F, nor does a woman dressing in tight & revealing clothing means it's okay for a guy to act like a total ding-a-ling. However, yes, wear a tight tank-top and ESPECIALLY if you wear no bra and it's obvious, and guys are going to stare a bit. They are most certainly going to be instinctively drawn to that sight, it is inevitable, and a woman has no right to make a fuss over it at all.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:12 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Bingo. Understand--this doesn't mean a woman needs to be covered head-to-toe when it's 95'F, nor does a woman dressing in tight & revealing clothing means it's okay for a guy to act like a total ding-a-ling. However, yes, wear a tight tank-top and ESPECIALLY if you wear no bra and it's obvious, and guys are going to stare a bit. They are most certainly going to be instinctively drawn to that sight, it is inevitable, and a woman has no right to make a fuss over it at all.
A lot of women will stare too and usually it's because we think it just looks awful but the fact is, when women dress a little too revealing, pretty much everyone stares. Really, it doesn't mean the person dressed that way looks good.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Might be true in Newark, Trenton, Camden, St. Louis, Detroit, NO, parts of Los Angles, parts of Oakland, and other bad places. But lewd behavior isn't all that common in most reasonably safe areas. Once again, why would anybody (man or woman) want to go nearby an area filled with GFN guys who cause trouble. Most guys out there are nice people, its only a few who lose control and act in an indecent manner.
It is pretty common actually. This is a big misconception. It doesn't happen if you are never out in public on the sidewalk, but I have had lewd comments happen in middle to upper middle class burbs, downtowns, and plenty of safe places. It happens more often when there are lots of people on the corner. But don't think it doesn't happen at the mall, shopping center or strip mall parking lot.

I was walking with some coworkers the other day and some old guys catcalled us. My work town has an average income of like $100k.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is pretty common actually. This is a big misconception. It doesn't happen if you are never out in public on the sidewalk, but I have had lewd comments happen in middle to upper middle class burbs, downtowns, and plenty of safe places. It happens more often when there are lots of people on the corner. But don't think it doesn't happen at the mall, shopping center or strip mall parking lot.

I was walking with some coworkers the other day and some old guys catcalled us. My work town has an average income of like $100k.
Yes, I am not saying that it never happens in Franklin park, NJ. However, its more likely to happen in Newark than down here. Also, women do walk down my street without fear at night. I had to do the same distance walk in Newark twice near the federal building, and was creeped out in spite of being a 6' guy.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,150,463 times
Today while at the food market shopping with my husband we both caught a man staring me down. I was modestly dress in jeans and black top with sandals.. he turned away fast and high tailed when he realized both my husband and I notice .. we later ran into him again, this time with two young boys and his wife from the looks of things, she had shorts and a tank top, he was like hiding behind her looking down at the floor when we past by..Whatever...

Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I HAD a friend who did this a lot and got a rush from it. In other words, she was an exhibitionist.
Forward a decade of two later with no reactions (plus she had no personality at all which didn't help
as she got older) - boy was she a miserable person.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Admittedly, I do not now that much about the Mormon faith. The few Mormons that I have known dressed very conservatively, so I assumed that modest attire was a general rule.
Yes, they do generally dress fairly conservatively, but they defnitely can and do wear make-up, nail polish, have their hair cut, styled and colored any way they wish. They also can wear pants, including capris and shorts that come to the knee. Form-fitting clothes are also fine, just as long as they are not exaggeratedly so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty