U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 11:43 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,345,172 times

Advertisements

I see there are sometimes discussions about women who dress revealing and complain about the attention. What about the women who don't dress revealing and get attention?

The attention would obviously be different. Suppose you're a relatively modest woman who'd rather not have her boobs all hanging out. Or have her butt cheeks so pronounced you can see every contour. Now you're wearing a nice outfit in flattering colors and you end up receiving the attention of men. Is this necessarily a bad thing?

Sometimes I think we've demonized male attention because of the women who dress revealing and believe they should be able to select for who gives them attention. I've seen a lot of women who wear tasteful and flattering sundresses and men will look at them, but they aren't looking at them like a piece of meat. The men are looking at them as if saying "that's a feminine woman." Or heck, they might look because it may have been the first time they've seen a woman look tasteful in a long time and they can't believe it. Maybe they notice a particular item the woman is wearing and that gets their attention, in contrast to her breasts, butt, or legs. Wouldn't it be preferable if a man noticed a woman's face, the color of her dress, or how a necklace makes her look rather than how much cleavage she has? I find this topic (both sides) interesting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 12:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
The problem isn't the clothing, it is that some men feel entitled to women. There is a big difference between going to the mail box and getting male attention and going to the local watering hole. Not all male attention is positive in its intent or feeling.

I dress conservatively 95% of the time, it doesn't save me from lewd comments.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,153,236 times
I always dress modest when out in public . I'm also married and wear a ring, some men don't respect that as well..

Old 06-08-2014, 05:52 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
Just because I wear a tight tank top and shorts doesn't mean I'm doing it to get a man's attention. Men who think this are self absorbed.
I will wear what I am comfortable in and any man getting the wrong idea is going to have a real problem on their hands.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:46 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,872,641 times
I'm a man and I have never read so much BS in my life.....You know damn well that you dress to get attention but if it's not from the right guy then you don't like it...What other reason is there for you to walk around with your boobs and butt checks hanging out.... Some Women seem to change the way they dress after the have found Their Man......but not all do....

Just own up to it that you dress to attract a man, there's nothing wrong with it.....and knock off all of the BS!

You like the attention or you wouldn't dress the way you do....

Even married women like to know that men find them attractive... If you didn't care you wouldn't spend so much on makeup and getting your hair done so much..

Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,416,857 times
Some men have manners and some don't just like women.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Just own up to it that you dress to attract a man, there's nothing wrong with it.....and knock off all of the BS!
Even married women like to know that men find them attractive...
Both men and women do many things to get attention such as extensive piercings, tattoos, hair styles ....
It's completely up to them to do what ever makes them happy but in all honesty, people will be
looking.
I think most married women want to look nice for their husbands and the same could be said for men.
Personally, I always chose to dress modestly.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
dressing to be attractive but not looking like a hooker is not easy
no greater example than the women of saudi arabia who are supposed to attract men-- quality men-- the best of saudi arabia-- while wearing a opaque black veil-- head to toe.
how do they do it?
in a nut shell
catching fish without bait.
or maybe catching fish without a hook or bait

Old 06-08-2014, 08:29 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm a man and I have never read so much BS in my life.....You know damn well that you dress to get attention but if it's not from the right guy then you don't like it...What other reason is there for you to walk around with your boobs and butt checks hanging out.... Some Women seem to change the way they dress after the have found Their Man......but not all do....

Even married women like to know that men find them attractive... If you didn't care you wouldn't spend so much on makeup and getting your hair done so much..
I dress for attention (male and female) and feel disappointed if I don't get it! Having said that, I do NOT dress skanky or like a hooker. I like feminine sundresses or clothing that emphasizes my assets without going overboard. I don't think women mind getting attention per se, they just don't like lewd leering or comments, etc. But a look, smile or nice compliment is always appreciated, at least by me!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 AM

10,396 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no greater example than the women of saudi arabia who are supposed to attract men-- quality men-- the best of saudi arabia-- while wearing a opaque black veil-- head to toe.
I think that's a pathetic example. They're not supposed to attract men. They're supposed to be invisible.

I agree people should dress comfortably. However, other people have to stand behind you in line at the grocery store. Have a little decency. No one wants to see your body parts. Offensive body odor is no worse than offensive body visuals.

I'm past the half century mark. I know what looks good on me and what doesn't. I have a friend who can pull off wearing less clothes and not look bad. I can't. I decided a while back when I'm spending money on clothes, if it's not something that looks great on me I'm not buying it. You can flatter your figure no matter what you look like. Wearing less rarely looks better than dressing with class.

Hey, if you're stopping by for ice on your way to the lake, dress as skimpy as you want but don't be a Walmart People.

OH, I wanted to add, I do turn heads though the men who look are older now. That's okay. I do feel somewhat attractive and it makes me want to make an effort to look nice when I leave the house. My sweetie loves me, too. I want to look good for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty