Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:31 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

TOKYO, June 4 (UPI) --Most clothing companies offer sizes in small, medium, large and extra large, but Japanese brand Fatyo has decided to take a less conventional approach by offering four sizes: "Twitch, Skinny, Fat and Jumbo."

Read more: Japanese clothing company labels sizes as 'fat', 'skinny' and 'jumbo' - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
This is hilarious. Two thoughts: It's hilarious how little tact they can get away with having on matters live this vs. America where Tumblr would have a field day (but might they anyway?), and WTF is a size "twitch"?

Old 06-08-2014, 02:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
When Uniqlo came to town I quickly figured out Japanese clothing wasn't right for me. I tried in a few things that were loose in the waist and way too small in the hips.

I am sure in this brand, Kim Kardashian would be wearing size "fat" and it would be way too big in the waist and really horrible around the hips.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:09 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Hilarious....

Of course, junk food is rarer there. The rest of the world must have a strange view of North American obesity rates.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:20 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,477 times
That's pretty funny....

And I agree, they'd NEvER be able to get away with that in the US.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Nice to see some honesty, without political correctness for a change.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When Uniqlo came to town I quickly figured out Japanese clothing wasn't right for me. I tried in a few things that were loose in the waist and way too small in the hips.

I am sure in this brand, Kim Kardashian would be wearing size "fat" and it would be way too big in the waist and really horrible around the hips.
Yes... Asian figures do tend towards more straight up and down. Of course there are exceptions, but there are also overall trends.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM

877 posts, read 1,315,923 times
My roommate is Chinese American, although born and raised in the US. She says that in Asia people are very open about their dissatisfaction with your appearance

If you're overweight, they'll tell you (if you're an Asian girl that might sound familiar), even if you're what we consider thin here in the US.
She said that if companies are looking to hire you and you're overweight or you don't look like a representation of the country (if you're don't look like a stereotypical Japanese girl when you're being interviewed in japan), they may not hire you and they'll let you know.

Honesty is not a taboo over there and can sometimes be what we call rude in the US

Most Asians are petite by nature so obesity is not an issue like it is in the US. And it certainly is not acceptable like it is in the US. Despite life being more hectic in certain countries, they don't have these imaginary ailments that make then weight 50lbs more than they should

Old 06-11-2014, 04:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yes... Asian figures do tend towards more straight up and down. Of course there are exceptions, but there are also overall trends.
It is pretty interesting! I was joking with a friend about this not long ago, I want to lose some weight, but I won't be fitting into most Asian brands no matter what size I am. I just have the wrong body type/shape at any size!

I'd say, when it comes to size and weight, (east) Asian people are a lot more "direct." It is one of many topics that shakes out that way in cultural differences. But on the flip side, it makes things that much harsher for women in particular, that don't match up with the "ideal" body size either. For (east) Asian women, being short and slim is perceived as being normal. Being taller, or having what I'll call a "sturdy" build (meaning you have thicker limbs or a wider back) can make you feel left out. These things are not a function of weight, but a function of body shape.

One of my friends, Japanese-American, feels "huge" when she goes to Japan. Reality is, she is small, around a size 8 or so US, but in Japan she is ginormous, and she doesn't have that "slight" build either. She has bigger legs and a swimmer like build.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Titch, Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty