U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM

3,420 posts, read 2,899,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A waitress at one of our local cafes put the name and date of her mis-carrriage in huge letters on her arm.

Other folks put names and death dates on their arms, legs, etc. etc. Is this good? I mean, all they are ever going to think about is the day their deceased died. It's not like they put "Brunhilda - BFF" or anything, it's Brunhilda 6-6-2012 or some such. How could they get any more dismal than that? Why don't they tattoo something happier about their friend than that they died?
Tattoos can be cool, artsy, trashy, or works of art. But getting a tattoo to immortalize your miscarriage is trashy, disgusting, and says a LOT about the character (and education) of the person who has it. A miscarriage tattoo is one or two steps lower on the class scale than someone with a tattoo that says "RIP Lil O.G. Sniper, 1996-2014, you are going to be missed vato homie"

Gross.

Ive seen someone with a portrai of their grandmother on their back shoulder blade. It was very very well done. They got it to remember grandma. What made it nice is that it was JUST her portrait. No "RIP" no date of death, just a great pic of grandma. That was okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,961,653 times
A tat of grannie would be happy. Although one hopes it doesn't turn into a green blob eventually. Have tattoos been fixed so they don't become blobs as they age like they used to?

A granny tattoo would be a happy thing, you expect to outlive your parents and grandparents so it doesn't seem so grim. Especially if it is just the person, as you mentioned, and not the day they died.

I suppose tattoos can be fixed and changed, but they seem so permanent and even when one is grieving, one hopes for a happier state at some point, I would think? A permanent reminder of a grim event just doesn't seem like a path to happiness.

There are different types of granny tattoos out there, though. A friend of mine used to own a bar in Waikiki. They were having a drink special and four women of the granny persuasion came in for a drink and ordered the special. Since it was a huge drink, he thought they were going to share it between the four of them so he made it extra strong. Turns out they all wanted one each. Ooops! So he made them all match so they wouldn't think he was skimping on the rum. They had their drinks, they had another. They got pretty happy, but they could all walk to their hotel three buildings over so he didn't think much of it. Later that night they all came trooping back into his bar to show off the brand new tattoos they had gotten to horrify their grandchildren. Horrified their bartender as well! This was back in the mid-80's rather a bit before the current tattoo craze.

I forget what each of them had gotten, but they were all happy sorts of things and the story to go along with them of how they got their tattoos is another happy event. This is sort of the way I'd expect most folks to get tattoos. Well, the happy event part, although I do suppose rum is involved with rather a lot of tattoos as well.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:13 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times
Two of my sons have a few done but personally I dont really like them especially on women.. I might be old fashioned as when I was young only sailors and women of ill repute had them... but yes its a fashion thing.. but dont forget.... fashions change..

Old 06-14-2014, 03:23 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
Quote:
A tat of grannie would be happy. Although one hopes it doesn't turn into a green blob eventually. Have tattoos been fixed so they don't become blobs as they age like they used to?

A granny tattoo would be a happy thing, you expect to outlive your parents and grandparents so it doesn't seem so grim. Especially if it is just the person, as you mentioned, and not the day they died.

I suppose tattoos can be fixed and changed, but they seem so permanent and even when one is grieving, one hopes for a happier state at some point, I would think? A permanent reminder of a grim event just doesn't seem like a path to happiness.

There are different types of granny tattoos out there, though. A friend of mine used to own a bar in Waikiki. They were having a drink special and four women of the granny persuasion came in for a drink and ordered the special. Since it was a huge drink, he thought they were going to share it between the four of them so he made it extra strong. Turns out they all wanted one each. Ooops! So he made them all match so they wouldn't think he was skimping on the rum. They had their drinks, they had another. They got pretty happy, but they could all walk to their hotel three buildings over so he didn't think much of it. Later that night they all came trooping back into his bar to show off the brand new tattoos they had gotten to horrify their grandchildren. Horrified their bartender as well! This was back in the mid-80's rather a bit before the current tattoo craze.

I forget what each of them had gotten, but they were all happy sorts of things and the story to go along with them of how they got their tattoos is another happy event. This is sort of the way I'd expect most folks to get tattoos. Well, the happy event part, although I do suppose rum is involved with rather a lot of tattoos as well.

This is not true at all, if one goes to a reputable tattoo parlor a reputable tattoo artist will not tattoo anyone who has been drinking because they bleed too much.
One should do a bit of research regarding tattoo parlors and the laws they have to abide by before making such a blanket assumption.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:18 AM

6,916 posts, read 4,229,909 times
Quote:

Huh? No one should have any expectations about what others choose to do with their body. Their reasons are their own.

And reputable shops, as a rule, do not take on clients who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You sure have a penchant for making a lot of baseless and asinine assumptions.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,640,102 times
Quote:

You really have no idea about tattoos do you? They dont become blobs. They arent grim. You cant go drunk and you dont want a hole in the wall place to do it.

Hasnt this been beaten to death now? You dont like tats, we get it.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 14,281 times
I don't know if I'd want to put a mourning tattoo on my body - it might just be yet another reminder of something quite sad. But if someone, like the waitress you're talking about, decides that it helps her cope... Who am I to disagree? She knows her sense of loss better than I do.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
You know, this past week I took a road trip to the mountains of West Virginia and everywhere you looked there were tiger lilies.

That was my moms favorite flower and I think it would be a perfect tattoo in her memory. As I drove past those probably more than thousands of lilies I just smiled.

They brought such wonderful memories of her. Though my mother passed there will always be something that reminds me of her.

I thought of putting it on my leg and never once did I think it would be morbid or make me sad to look at. As a matter of fact, it would be quite the opposite.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
I lost a child when she was 18, and the idea of tattooing it anywhere on me is a very chilling thought and am not a bit impressed with the concept of "mourning tattoos". But for the next person, it's their own body to ink up in any way they like. To each his own.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I lost a child when she was 18, and the idea of tattooing it anywhere on me is a very chilling thought and am not a bit impressed with the concept of "mourning tattoos". But for the next person, it's their own body to ink up in any way they like. To each his own.
Oh I am so sorry for your loss. I have a daughter that aga and a 20 year old son, and I just cannot imagine...

Do you have any tattoos at all? I think if you don't, that probably makes a difference in whether or not you would tattoo something about her on your body.

Personally, I do not think I would ever tattoo any RIP or dates, only something significant to the person I lost, like with my mom it would be a tiger lily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty