U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:57 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
All sorts go to the symphony... even students who make less than that.
Why do you think your income plays into it? No one knows that but you... and they won't know unless you tell them.
I guess ive always assumed that there was some sort of fancy dress code which is why ive never gone. All of the movies ive ever seen featuring ppl going to the symphony its all fancy dresses and tuxes (usually because of some royalty or VIP attending). If theres any possibility of someone sticking their nose up in distaste at my choice of dress id just as soon stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 04:03 PM

706 posts, read 912,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I guess ive always assumed that there was some sort of fancy dress code which is why ive never gone. All of the movies ive ever seen featuring ppl going to the symphony its all fancy dresses and tuxes (usually because of some royalty or VIP attending). If theres any possibility of someone sticking their nose up in distaste at my choice of dress id just as soon stay home.
Pfft...I'd look at them and stick my nose up right back...ask if they have a problem and sashay right on to my seat.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

If it's the symphony (performing artist is no excuse) in a Symphonic Hall or Opera House: athletic shorts, work-out clothes, leotards, hoodies, tank tops, even white T-shirt undershirts are extremely gauche and déclassé.
LOL! Just like all those ladies grabbing their butts and grinding onstage....

Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I guess ive always assumed that there was some sort of fancy dress code which is why ive never gone. All of the movies ive ever seen featuring ppl going to the symphony its all fancy dresses and tuxes (usually because of some royalty or VIP attending).
Opening night is a usually black tie affair, and quite pricey to boot. We avoid those.
For the rest of the season, business attire is just fine, even business casual. You will even get the sweater and (nice) jeans crowd.
You should go sometime.... classical music is great for the soul!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,891,490 times
I like big butts and I wear no tie,
You other fellows wonder why.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL! Just like all those ladies grabbing their butts and grinding onstage....
That is one of my fave songs, but I wouldn't have been one of those ladies grinding in the stage. I did happen to see a girl wearing a dress I own though. Lol.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 AM

2,600 posts, read 537,810 times
I saw the majority of women wearing dresses. It was just a couple outliers who weren't. Who knows why they were wearing workout clothes? Maybe they came straight from jobs that allow them to wear them! Or maybe they came straight from working out. Definitely people aren't dressing up for cultural events anymore (I watched an opera broadcast from the Met and people were coming in wearing baseball caps) anymore than they dress up to fly in a plane they way they used to. This definitely isn't Madmen era!

What's more important in the scheme of things and cultural organization's health and viability is that paying customers support them....so better to have a full house of people who aren't dressed up attending than having just a few formally dressed patrons.

And let's face it, with a performer like that, they were pandering to the younger crowd who probably wouldn't attend a classical concert. This is not the thread to discuss whether a song like that is really music, but I just have to say that it came across more like a music video with the orchestra just happening to be sitting in the background more than a classical concert with the orchestra truly having an integral role in backing up the 'singer." And I don't think it would have looked any more dignified with the women grinding and bumping and butt-grabbing if they were wearing evening gowns!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

And let's face it, with a performer like that, they were pandering to the younger crowd who probably wouldn't attend a classical concert. This is not the thread to discuss whether a song like that is really music, but I just have to say that it came across more like a music video with the orchestra just happening to be sitting in the background more than a classical concert with the orchestra truly having an integral role in backing up the 'singer." And I don't think it would have looked any more dignified with the women grinding and bumping and butt-grabbing if they were wearing evening gowns!
Exactly!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 AM

670 posts, read 760,316 times
If I were going at night, I would wear a dress, but I'm old-fashioned. Business casual would also be acceptable, but not yoga pants and a hoodie! Noooooooo!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times
See thats where im somewhat confused. There are several different types of businesses so what is officially meant or implied by business casual? Is it supposed to mean white collar business only? I mean what if you work in a factory, on a farm, youre a maid, a mechanic, or some other type non professional job? If being casual at your business is wearing overalls and a pair of steel toed boots would that not be considered business casual to you? And at that wouldnt wearing a nice dress or suit be considered "dressing up"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or