U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:25 PM

26,871 posts, read 28,145,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
See thats where im somewhat confused. There are several different types of businesses so what is officially meant or implied by business casual? Is it supposed to mean white collar business only? I mean what if you work in a factory, on a farm, youre a maid, a mechanic, or some other type non professional job? If being casual at your business is wearing overalls and a pair of steel toed boots would that not be considered business casual to you? And at that wouldnt wearing a nice dress or suit be considered "dressing up"?
Business casual means "white collar" or professional office appropriate. There is a difference in what is OK for the "floor" and the office or front of the house in restaurant-speak.

So the overalls are not enough. Generally speaking, business casual for men is something like khakis and a polo shirt or a button down. Ladies can wear that, a nicer top and pants/skirt or an appropriate dress. The pieces for women should be somewhat conservative. I.E. not what you would wear to a Vegas nightclub.

Now something like the opera, has a bit more leeway in our casual times. But athletic clothing and workout clothes are casual casual and not business casual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
I don't think it's necessary to attend a symphony concert in a full-blown suit and tie, unless it's opening night. Business casual is perfectly find on such an occasion. On the other hand, sweats and sneakers to such an event doesn't mean you're dressing for comfort. It just means you're a lazy slob. I mean, if you can't respect yourself enough to dress better than that, don't expect the rest of the world to respect you either.

I'm always amazed at the people who come to parties and whatever else just looking as if they had their clothes thrown onto them with a pitchfork. It is entirely possible to dress for comfort and still look sharp at the same time. In that sense, khakis or linen pants are a heckuva lot more comfortable in the summertime than jeans or -- gawdhelpus -- sweat pants. And they flatter the wearer a great deal more.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't think it's necessary to attend a symphony concert in a full-blown suit and tie, unless it's opening night. Business casual is perfectly find on such an occasion. On the other hand, sweats and sneakers to such an event doesn't mean you're dressing for comfort. It just means you're a lazy slob. I mean, if you can't respect yourself enough to dress better than that, don't expect the rest of the world to respect you either.

I'm always amazed at the people who come to parties and whatever else just looking as if they had their clothes thrown onto them with a pitchfork. It is entirely possible to dress for comfort and still look sharp at the same time. In that sense, khakis or linen pants are a heckuva lot more comfortable in the summertime than jeans or -- gawdhelpus -- sweat pants. And they flatter the wearer a great deal more.
When i go out im not looking to be respected (read treated like royalty) but rather to be entertained. You dont have to respect me but you can keep your mouth shut. Thank God theres no dress code at the movie theater.

Now that I think about it this just reaffirms my decision to stay at home and never go out.

Last edited by pythonis; 06-10-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,893,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Generally speaking, business casual for men is something like khakis and a polo shirt or a button down. Ladies can wear that, a nicer top and pants/skirt or an appropriate dress. The pieces for women should be somewhat conservative. I.E. not what you would wear to a Vegas nightclub.

Now something like the opera, has a bit more leeway in our casual times. But athletic clothing and workout clothes are casual casual and not business casual.

If you are truly stepping out on the town and want to dress for theater "office" casual, the true definition of your first example, nor business casual jacket, jacket, tie and some sort of pants, are appropriate.
First...unless you usually wear a normal beard, shave your face to look like you have some sense. A disheveled fool is just that. A good quality suit, usually reserved for weddings or funerals, is what you are looking for. Black is preferable though very dark blue works well. Plain cloth looks far better than pinstripes for formal wear. A good quality shirt, neutral color with no designs, and nice tie along with real shoes will finish it and make you look sharp. I bet your date puts 3x as much into her clothes, accessories, time and effort as you ever will. Dress the part.

You could always go with $$$ designer sweat pants and pro sports team hoodie. Throw in a pair of $200+ Keds and you are good to go.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,029,286 times
I'm traditional. I'm of the belief that the clothing that one wears is an indication of the level of respect for the event.

I like formalwear for events like the symphony, ballet, opera, and other formal performing arts at major performance halls. At such events on the east coast (NYC, DC, and Boston), people generally dress up. The majority of people are very dressy--with most men in suits and women in elegant cocktail dresses. On opening night it is black tie--and plenty of people wear black tie for performances well into the season, especially if the performance is featuring a famed conductor or performer.

Younger people have a tendency to dress a bit more casually than the older people. Their outfits may consist of a blazer/tie/slacks/dressy shoes for men, and skirt suits, simple dresses with high-heeled shoes and smaller handbags, slacks with dressy/glittery tops for the women.

Sneakers, yoga pants, stretched out sweaters, and the like are out of the question, IMO, and show contempt for the event. Such clothing takes away from the traditional elegance of such events. But then again, I guess Sir Mix-a-Lot is not really known for elegance.

Last edited by Sage 80; 06-10-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM

Is all of this an implication that people who dont own "elegant" outfits are not good enough to attend events such as these?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,029,286 times
Quote:
Is all of this an implication that people who dont own "elegant" outfits are not good enough to attend events such as these?
I am not implying anything about the lack of worth of anybody. What I am saying is that there is an appropriate look for every event.

You would not go meet the queen at Buckingham Palace in the same outfit that you wear to run to Wal-Mart.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 PM

26,871 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
You don't need to make lots of money to have a sufficiently "elegant" outfit. This dress from Walmart would have been appropriate.

Full Circle Exchange Women's Shirred Drape Dress: Women : Walmart.com

Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I am not implying anything about the lack of worth of anybody. What I am saying is that there is an appropriate look for every event.

You would not go meet the queen at Buckingham Palace in the same outfit that you wear to run to Wal-Mart.
True. However one could always say something like "Hey, we're just going to the symphony; not like we're going to go see the Queen"

Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You don't need to make lots of money to have a sufficiently "elegant" outfit. This dress from Walmart would have been appropriate.

Full Circle Exchange Women's Shirred Drape Dress: Women : Walmart.com
Nice dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or