U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 PM

23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am sure many of you have seen the Seattle Symphony performing Baby Got Back with Sir-Mix-A-Lot.
Here's The Seattle Symphony Performing 'Baby Got Back' With Sir Mix-A-Lot - Digg

I loved this performance, but I was absolutely appalled at the ladies wearing their workout clothing! Trainers and running tights with hoodies! To the symphony?

Whatever happened to dressing for the occasion. I mean I think jeans and a nice top would have been on the casual end, but that is totally ridiculous to be wearing sneakers!

So what do you think, what is appropriate to wear to the symphony, orchestra, ballet and other dress up affairs?
Hey I am always in the "you can't be too dressed up crowd"! But THAT performance speaks nothing but casual street attire. I'm pretty sure those people were aware that they would be up in the front, dancing their tails off. I am amazed that anyone would be appalled at ANYTHING that showed up there, for such a performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 7,362,552 times
Opera goes for a fine quality performance will dress up. But for a performance such as this one, don't expect the audience to dress better than the performer. It draws a completely different crowd, than a normal Opera crowd.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I would dress nice to go to a play or symphony, but honestly couldn't care less what someone else chooses to wear. I've noticed that as time goes on, people dress more and more casual even for situations that people would dress up for in the past. Lots of people don't even dress up for church anymore...just shorts/jeans and a polo. It is what it is.
Same here ^^^. Hehe I dress better just to go the grocery store than most people do for a night out! But, I am an "old school" Latina, and we tend to like to look nice. I do like to see people dressed nice, it doesn't have to be "fancy" per se, but at least look like they made an effort. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else does, I just worry about myself.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 AM

72,656 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am sure many of you have seen the Seattle Symphony performing Baby Got Back with Sir-Mix-A-Lot.
Here's The Seattle Symphony Performing 'Baby Got Back' With Sir Mix-A-Lot - Digg

I loved this performance, but I was absolutely appalled at the ladies wearing their workout clothing! Trainers and running tights with hoodies! To the symphony?

Whatever happened to dressing for the occasion. I mean I think jeans and a nice top would have been on the casual end, but that is totally ridiculous to be wearing sneakers!

So what do you think, what is appropriate to wear to the symphony, orchestra, ballet and other dress up affairs?
This is Seattle. I've been to the symphony there, and sat next to a dad in shorts with a 10- or 11-year-old child who spent the whole time bouncing and jumping up and down in her seat. Seattle ain't San Francisco.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When i go out im not looking to be respected (read treated like royalty) but rather to be entertained. You dont have to respect me but you can keep your mouth shut. Thank God theres no dress code at the movie theater.

Now that I think about it this just reaffirms my decision to stay at home and never go out.
Oh, what a bunch of self-serving baloney. Everybody wants to be respected. What's more, your very presence on a thread in the Fashion forum tells me that you do indeed care.

Before someone can know you, before they can understand your guiding philosophy in life, your way with words, your sense of humor, or anything else about you, they will give you the once-over. First impressions matter a great deal. And while you certainly don't need to be dressed to the nines, dressing like a total slob tells the world how to treat you.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,580,363 times
I would use the "I don't have a nice outfit to wear" as my reason to get out of going to it.
Then I would stay home and have a few beers and a steak with baked potato....or tacos.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, what a bunch of self-serving baloney. Everybody wants to be respected. What's more, your very presence on a thread in the Fashion forum tells me that you do indeed care.

Before someone can know you, before they can understand your guiding philosophy in life, your way with words, your sense of humor, or anything else about you, they will give you the once-over. First impressions matter a great deal. And while you certainly don't need to be dressed to the nines, dressing like a total slob tells the world how to treat you.
Im sorry (well no actually im not) but i was raised to respect my parents regardless of what they were wearing. If i was in public everyone around me was to be shown the same respect as i would show my parents. Now maybe we differ in our definitions of respect. I am not looking for people to bow and curtsy to me or to be treated like a VIP or some such. All i need from people are basic manners. Please, thank you, youre welcome, excuse me.....I think we can do that for people in sweat-suits or jeans and tshirts as well as for those in nice dresses or suits, can we not?

Im in the fashion forum because i love various fashions. However my behavior towards people does not depend upon how those people are dressed. Just because a person is dressed like a slob that doesnt give us the right to treat them rudely or look down on them. We're not royalty and peasants anymore.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,028,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Add in Sir-Mix-A-Lot to the mix and you have to expect some additional level of casualness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Hoodies are totally appropriate when you are featuring Sir Mix-a-Lot singing 'Baby Got Back", symphony or other.
It's not like that was a dignified affair....
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
But for a performance such as this one, don't expect the audience to dress better than the performer. It draws a completely different crowd, than a normal Opera crowd.
^^^^ Agreed. The performer set the tone.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM

26,866 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is Seattle. I've been to the symphony there, and sat next to a dad in shorts with a 10- or 11-year-old child who spent the whole time bouncing and jumping up and down in her seat. Seattle ain't San Francisco.
Eek! SF is casual too. Some people like to wear Northface to the ballet.

I miss the good old days when people dressed for the occasion.

I went to a museum not so long ago wearing a dress. Not a super nice one, just cotton and in a fit and flare shape. Anyway, one of the workers stopped me and started gushing "OMG, thank you for dressing up for the museum, I love your outfit. So many people dress sloppily here, it is nice to see someone looking put together." I thought it was hilarious because for me it was a comfy casual outfit. Not much thought at all!

Old 06-11-2014, 04:08 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
I miss the days where everyone wore togas. Lets get back to that then all this dress up and dress down wont matter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or