U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times

Advertisements

My community has a large contingent of refugees from Myanmar due to a wonderful charity here. I have heard first hand the terrors of working conditions and the poverty there. Do you care about the working conditions where your clothes are manufactured or do you simply go after fashion and price?

Gap Is Starting To Make Clothes In Myanmar, Where Workers Are Horribly Mistreated
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 PM

13,654 posts, read 8,664,774 times
You like your garment read Made in Pennsylvania? I am sure you do. We have ghost towns only 50 miles from where I live and with plenty unemployed. Why don't you find out why GAP won't make them here and may be you could make a difference.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM

I know why clothes are rarely made in the USA. It's because of the incredibly cheap and mistreated workers in the Eastern part of the world. I would gladly pay a premium to buy clothes and everything else I can find made in the USA. Our unemployment problems are in part due to the manufacturers who are willing to create these ghost towns so they can pay their CEOs inflated salaries and more. I don't know how much of a difference I am making but if we all did our part to avoid the inferior and sometimes dangerous products (dog treats and baby formula from China) which come from the cheap labor areas of the world we can at least raise awareness.

this is just one example of what is going on.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/23/wo...fire.html?_r=0

Old 06-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,400 posts, read 50,602,810 times
I buy most of my clothes from Costco, and I have no idea where they are made. A long time ago I gave up trying to buy American because it's so hard to find out and so few things are. We bought a cast iron dutch oven from Lodge, after seeing a TV show do a tour of their factory in Tennessee. Lodge advertises "America's Original Cookware" since 1986. When it came the box and the pot were both clearly labeled "Made in China."

Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
Doesnt really matter to me but id rather see "Made in Myanmar" than "Made in Pakistan" on my clothes.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Do you want to pay for made in America clothing? A lot of people do not.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM

12,657 posts, read 12,078,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A lot of people pay prestige pricing for clothing; pretty everyone who purchases clothing that is not the basic for utility purposes are buying clothes with varying degree of prestige pricing.

Look at the prices GAP, CK, Boos, Inc., etc charge, look where the clothes are made... The companies are making huge profits off of these clothes. The only thing having them made in the USA would do is impact their profits, the only reason the prices would have to be raised is in order to keep the profit margin.

Point is, it is easily possible to make clothing in the US, and still have the same price as the clothes are now, it is not like all of a sudden no one will be able to afford the clothes, most all clothes have a prestige pricing on them now. The only thing labor costs in the US will do is shrink the profit margin, or cause the prices to rise if they want to keep the profit margin.

I have a pair of Lucky jeans that are going on 11 years old, made in USA, bought for $35. It is amazing how now all of their jeans are not made in the USA, and cost double.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd rather pay more for clothes made in USA (not a given) than the extra welfare and associated costs of rampant unemployment in our country because of all the outsourcing to cheap labor countries. Especially when we know those countries do not offer basic human rights and safety measures to those workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty