Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 PM

631 posts, read 1,067,469 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm going to buy an umbrella for a woman as a gift. Here are four of them in my short list. What one would you choose? What one would you not choose? Why? Thanks for details and your opinion.

See the pictures in the attachment. They are clickable.
Attached Thumbnails
Umbrella for a woman-01.png   Umbrella for a woman-02.png   Umbrella for a woman-03.png   Umbrella for a woman-04.png  
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,229,051 times
As a functional rain umbrella? Definitely not the pink one. That won't hold up to rain very well.

Personally I'm not fond of the extra frippery of the first two. The last two are better, and much would depend on her personality ... does she tend toward more modern styles or more romantic styles?

I must admit that an umbrella strikes me a bit of an odd gift.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,093,605 times
I think that pink one is a parasol, not an umbrella.

If I had to choose one for myself, I'd go with the red/polka dots, but that's me.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:17 PM

5,124 posts, read 4,445,350 times
I like the red and the green umbrellas--so I'd buy one of those. The one I'd get depends on the taste of the person for whom I am buying the umbrella.

I like the red umbrella best...love the lining. I'd get that for someone who likes or looks good in red, or likes bold colors.

The green one is nice, too. I'd get it for someone who likes or looks good in green, or prefers softer colors.

I would not get the other two. I'm bored with black umbrellas--so I would not buy that. BTW, what's that red thing?
The pink one is too impractical.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,725,734 times
I like the first one.

The trim on the second one looks like it would just hold in extra water and take longer to dry or would drip on the floor.

The mint green one reminds me of raincoats that some older ladies wear.

I've seen some really pretty ones on Amazon that look like giant flowers, or like a stained glass lamp, if you're looking for something sort of whimsical and you know what kind of things the lady you're buying for likes.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:19 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,893,502 times
I think an umbrella makes a lovely gift. I like #4. The floral print underneath would make me happy on a gray, rainy day.

I recently bought a pretty one from Victorian Trading and have received compliments every time I've used it.
LOVELY LAVENDER UMBRELLA

Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
Personally? I only like small umbrellas that fit in my purse. Any other one is likely to get left somewhere.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
As a functional rain umbrella? Definitely not the pink one. That won't hold up to rain very well.
Functionality doesn't matter. These are luxury umbrellas. It means they just have to be beautiful, stylish and fancy like a flower.

I guess the pink one is designed to protect against sunlight. Not against rain.

Quote:
much would depend on her personality ... does she tend toward more modern styles or more romantic styles?
It is a hard question to answer since I don't get what 'modern' means in this context. Which one of them does look modern to you?
Quote:
I must admit that an umbrella strikes me a bit of an odd gift.
Why? May I ask?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think that pink one is a parasol, not an umbrella.
You said it. It is called parasol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If I had to choose one for myself, I'd go with the red/polka dots, but that's me.
Red/polka dots one is sure awesome. Though I like them all. If I was a woman I'd bought them all for myself.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,917,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Functionality doesn't matter. These are luxury umbrellas.
So they're expensive umbrellas that you can't really use when its raining? What a great gift...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty