Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,657 times

Advertisements

Giorgio Armani. It's never gimmicky or "trendy". It's always got own sophisticated unique style.
Louis Vuitton handbags and luggage. ALWAYS exudes class.
Hermes bags, especially the Birkin bag.

Today's Chanel is extremely gimmicky and tacky-looking. I would definitely NOT associate it with "elite luxury". Chanel in the 80s was more about high class. Think of an 80s Chanel suit with multiple strands of pearl necklaces and a white camelia pinned like a brooch. Nowadays Chanel puts out gimmicky crap like furry ski boots.

Same thing with Dior. Lost its prestige a long time ago (late 1990s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:31 PM

24 posts, read 38,088 times
Stella Mccartney, Chloe, Judith Leiber, Alexander McQueen, Pucci, and other brands that aren't constantly faked and sold to the masses.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When I was visiting London some years ago, I was staring at the windows of bespoke suit tailors on Savile Row and dreaming about affording one of those suits some day.

Is there any place similar to that in Manhattan?

There are guys like the venerable Len Logsdail (Leonard Logsdail - Savile Row Bespoke Tailors) and the newcomer Rory Duffy (Rory Duffy Handcraft Tailor) who've had careers at Savile Row shops before starting out on their own here in the US, but they don't come cheap at all. I've heard that Logsdail's bespoke suits start at $8k and Duffy's at $6k. The most bang for your buck for high-level custom tailoring is supposed to be Ercole Tailoring over in Brooklyn (Ercole Bespoke Suiting), but even then you're looking at over $3k a pop. One of my classmates from college who's now a corporate litigator in Manhattan had a couple suits made up from him... the one I saw him in fit really well on his frame, but I don't know about double the price of a Zegna.

For a guy, besides your car making a statement about your social status, I would say expensive watches like Audemars Piguet or Lange & Sohne really send a message, just because they're over $10k and only those who are in the elite crowd would know the value of these brands. They're not run-of-the-mill Rolex, TAG or Panerai watches which are knocked off left & right in China.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When I was visiting London some years ago, I was staring at the windows of bespoke suit tailors on Savile Row and dreaming about affording one of those suits some day.

Is there any place similar to that in Manhattan?
There are bespoke tailors, but no equivalent to Savile Row where they're all right next to each other. Manhattan that has a "district" for every little thing, so it is a bit odd that they don't have one for bespoke suits.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:54 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Brands that I like:
Brunello Cucinelli, Etro, Zanotti, Cavalli, Kiton, Brioni, Canali, Balenciaga, Belstaff, Lela Rose, Loro Piana, Herve Leger, Rene Caovilla...my list is endless.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,964 times
LV, Gucci, Prada come to my mind.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,427 times
Someone once said "you don't need to be a millionaire to dress and look like a million buck". Spending a fortune on expensive clothes and accessories don't necessarily turn someone into an elegant and classy looking person. There're plenty of rather affordable brands out there that will do the job just as well. Having said that many of the luxury goods are well designed and made, just that not everyone will automatically look good in them. Remember, it is the person who is wearing the clothes and not the other way around. Sometimes, a nice pair of jeans and good quality top will look far better on some.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,403 times
L.A. Gear, you can't compete with lights in your shoes!

Old 06-16-2014, 03:17 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
L.A. Gear, you can't compete with lights in your shoes!
The stitched Velcro and glitter highlights is unrivaled

Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Someone once said "you don't need to be a millionaire to dress and look like a million buck". Spending a fortune on expensive clothes and accessories don't necessarily turn someone into an elegant and classy looking person. There're plenty of rather affordable brands out there that will do the job just as well. Having said that many of the luxury goods are well designed and made, just that not everyone will automatically look good in them. Remember, it is the person who is wearing the clothes and not the other way around. Sometimes, a nice pair of jeans and good quality top will look far better on some.
Youth and genetics are the strongest factors for determining whether or not anyone will look strikingly beautiful to other people. (Plus attitude.) Luxury brands can't compete with those factors, not even close, but they can certainly try.

"Luxury" to me means indulgence. So an article that is out-of-this world comfortable (cashmere, silk, great tailoring) is going to get points; an article with complex, high-quality construction (LV products, Manolo Blahniks, Jimmy Choo) is also going to get points. Artistry also matters (Alexander McQueen).

(As if I could afford to pick and choose which luxury brands I would prefer to buy... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty