U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,035,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is this metrosexual taking to the extreme?

Do women like metrosexual men?
What the hell are you talking about...? How could you possibly get "metrosexual" out of what I wrote?

Here's the definition:

a young, urban, heterosexual male with liberal political views, an interest in fashion, and a refined sense of taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 04:22 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
Quote:
Is this metrosexual taking to the extreme?

Do women like metrosexual men?
Well... how many popular male actors or singers under age 30 can you think of who aren't metrosexual?

Even great-grandma was hung up on Rudolph Valentino.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM

8,825 posts, read 6,296,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Well... how many popular male actors or singers under age 30 can you think of who aren't metrosexual?

Even great-grandma was hung up on Rudolph Valentino.
The metrosexual men I see die their hair with blond highlights, pierce their ears, do the eyebrows, shave the legs, wear capri pants with flip flops, and carry a purse. The also use cream to keep the skin moist and shave their legs.

I am surprised to hear women love that look. Justin Beaver looks real macho next to these metros.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
The metrosexual men I see die their hair with blond highlights, pierce their ears, do the eyebrows, shave the legs, wear capri pants with flip flops, and carry a purse. The also use cream to keep the skin moist and shave their legs.

I am surprised to hear women love that look. Justin Beaver looks real macho next to these metros.
I guess it's all part of a range, or spectrum, of grooming and dressing habits. When I think "metrosexual", I think of a guy who goes to a salon for a haircut (rather than to a barber's), dresses kind of in a slick downtown fashion-conscious way (but not hipsterish), uses "product" on his hair and skin, maybe wears some tasteful jewelry. Might wax. I hear that shaving the nether regions is becoming more common with U.S. urban hetero guys. (Not sure about that... need to set up a poll for more details.)

Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Hearing a man saying he wants to be a pretty boy sounds like extreme metrosexual:

So this is what some women like??
Androgyny does turn on some women. Not all women by a long shot, but quite a few. It's not a new phenomena... look at how popular Mick Jagger and Prince were. I'm not up to speed on who all the hot young celebs are these days, but I think Zac Efron, the Twilight dudes, Bruno Mars, all sort of fall into the metrosexual category.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM

8,825 posts, read 6,296,268 times
Quote:
Androgyny does turn on some women. Not all women by a long shot, but quite a few. It's not a new phenomena... look at how popular Mick Jagger and Prince were. I'm not up to speed on who all the hot young celebs are these days, but I think Zac Efron, the Twilight dudes, Bruno Mars, all sort of fall into the metrosexual category.
Comparing a megastar to the average Joe on the street is not the same.

Sometimes, these megastars have a look for public consumption, nothing more than marketing.

Bruno Mars is not in the same league as Jagger or Prince.

This is the ultimate metrosexual, Mister Pretty Boy:

[Mod cut: copyrighted]

Last edited by elnina; 06-17-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
Default Genes

Quote:
Best recipe to be good looking is to have good looking parents.
You said it there. I once read that rich people were better looking and I thought that was not true and that it had more to do with their access to plastic surgery, etc., but that isn't true. It was explained that wealthy men in the olden days (even now) were able to attract the most beautiful and healthy women and they married into good genes. The men usually had a higher IQ, even if they weren't so good looking, even so, several generations down the kids were getting better looking plus they were also smart. Rich attracts rich and the gene pool just gets more of the beautiful genes. Also, even if it wasn't genes rich people or their kids have more symmetrical faces and they had easier lives so they were healthier and less affected by stress and you can see it visually. Poor people, on the other hand, have a lot of stress to deal with, very difficult lives, less access to good medical care, and that is also visually reflected.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 PM

2,877 posts, read 4,389,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Healthy glowing skin? Find a gentle cleanser (Purpose or Cetaphil or Boots) & wash your face 2x a day, morning and night. Exfoliate your skin 1-2x a week with a gentle scrub with microbeads, the Aveeno skin brightening one is good or one of the clean & clear scrubs.
Please...do not buy any products that contain microbeads:

Quote:
SACRAMENTO - Microbeads, the tiny plastic particles found in many exfoliating facial and body cleansers, are passing through wastewater-treatment-plant filters and winding up in rivers and oceans, where they endanger marine life.
Skin-cleansing microbeads harm marine life, targeted for bans - SFGate

Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Quote:
I guess it's all part of a range, or spectrum, of grooming and dressing habits. When I think "metrosexual", I think of a guy who goes to a salon for a haircut (rather than to a barber's), dresses kind of in a slick downtown fashion-conscious way (but not hipsterish), uses "product" on his hair and skin, maybe wears some tasteful jewelry. Might wax. I hear that shaving the nether regions is becoming more common with U.S. urban hetero guys. (Not sure about that... need to set up a poll for more details.)
When I think "metrosexual" I think, "Does anyone actually USE that word? Does anyone really think it's a real term?"

Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
When I think "metrosexual" I think, "Does anyone actually USE that word? Does anyone really think it's a real term?"
Solamente Amandititita: Amandititita - Metrosexual - YouTube

But yeah, if you want to be a 'pretty boy', a few estrogen treatments, some waxing, some eyebrow-plucking, some mascara, some skinny jeans (They make the pelvis look sooooo wide.... just like a girl's!), and you're halfway there!

And then, before you know it, you'll be possibly lamenting not being able to "get a woman", and how you're a "kissless virgin"... before maybe going on a killing spree as revenge for not "getting a beautiful woman like you deserve".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or