U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 AM

670 posts, read 760,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
The majority of people are lazy these days and are quick to let themselves go. I strongly believe though if everyone put in a good effort in dieting, styling, and grooming most people could be at least average looking. Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american. With the amount of european stock most people are mixed with I actually think if people got into shape we could be considered one of the best looking nations in the world. As the russian saying goes,"no such thing as an ugly women only a lazy." This of course also applies to men. What do you think?
I get what you are alluding to. I agree with the dieting and grooming, but style is a very personal thing. Not everyone wants to look cool and chic. I would say that the majority of people could look better if they lost some weight...and for some...also paid more attention to grooming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Quote:
No I am talking about in terms of putting effort in how they dress, or present themselves. Granted a lot of teens aren't exactely what I would classify as "classy," but behavior is not what I am talking about. Elderly women are probably the best at the examplifying modest and classy behavior that so many lack today.
Anyways look as pictures of people from the 50s/60s, everybody was pretty then because of the way they adorned themselves so nicely.
It sounds like your perception of the 50s and 60s is based on Hollywood and Internet. Of course I can be dolled up to the T when I do not have a full time job, commute, after school activities with kids, house cleaning, cooking and trying to find a plumber.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 AM

5,459 posts, read 4,577,627 times
I do see the OP's point. I know as a teenager, I and my friends would spend lots of time on our nails, hair, makeup and clothes. But as I get older, my priorities changed. I have a lot more responsibilities now and while I am always clean and presentable, I no longer have the time or inclination to spend hours fussing over my appearance the way I did as a teen.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:03 AM

3,417 posts, read 2,893,826 times
Quote:
The majority of people are lazy these days and are quick to let themselves go. I strongly believe though if everyone put in a good effort in dieting, styling, and grooming most people could be at least average looking. Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american. With the amount of european stock most people are mixed with I actually think if people got into shape we could be considered one of the best looking nations in the world. As the russian saying goes,"no such thing as an ugly women only a lazy." This of course also applies to men. What do you think?
I totally agree.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,810,094 times
I think a lot of us could benefit from a few episodes of 'What Not to Wear'. I know I did.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,388,567 times
Thumbs down Reading is fundamental...

Quote:
What's it gonna' be MissLexy Lou? Fashion & Beauty or fat/lazy 'average american'? And seeing how you have asked...I am an average American (yeah, we actually capitalize the word American) and quite frankly, I dress for myself exclusively and I do not give a rodent's hiney what you or anyone else thinks of my fashion sense or lack thereof.

Opinions are certainly and always appreciated in a public forum, however, frequently...the more we read the more we know.

And, just an FYI...I have zero bone to pick with Europe, Brazil, or Russia about ANYTHING they do, they wear, they eat, or they think as it pertains to living their lives as THEY see fit. Could NOT care less, I leave that all up to forum participants, politicians, and global governments...ad nauseam.

Culture of the United States Fashion

Though informal dress is more common, certain professionals, such as bankers and lawyers, traditionally dress formally for work, and some occasions, such as weddings, funerals, dances, and some parties, typically call for formal wear.

Culture of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obesity (World Health Organization-Europe)

WHO/Europe | Obesity

Tackling Brazilís Obesity Problem

Tackling Brazil

Russians outweigh most Europeans in obesity rankings

After an annual examination of 1,500 people across the country, dieticians found that 55 percent of Russians had problems with excessive weight, Viktor Tutelyan told journalists.

Russians outweigh most Europeans in obesity rankings | RUSSIA | The Moscow News

Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you and understand exactly the points you are trying to make. I knew you would get some vitriolic responses here. I am an "old school Latina," (born here) my grandparents came here from Spain. Also, I am older, and I always dress up even to go to the store, it's part of my culture. I work out, eat healthy and watch my weight. I definitely notice that anyone who bothers to take care of their appearance definitely looks several notches more attractive than one who does not. We have European friends, and they ALWAYS look nice, and NEVER let themselves get overweight. I also agree that in the 50s and 60s everyone looked better. When I was going to school there was a dress code, girls wore nice skirts/dresses, boys wore nice pants with shirts tucked in. In late 60s it all went to hell and the kids were wearing cut-offs and holey t-shirts.

Personally, I don't understand why people don't want to bother to take care of themselves more, but I only worry about myself. I feel much better when I feel like I look nice, so I am going to continue doing this the rest of my life.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,209,426 times
Quote:
Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american.
Plastic surgery and pharmaceuticals are the reason that they look better!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM

27,237 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I used to put effort into looking clean and fit, but still was regarded as ugly. I give up at this point, because there is so much more than looks I need to take care of right now. We will see about looks later.

BTW, Europeans only work 35-40 hours a week, with lesser chance of being unemployed. Americans do more like 50 per week (though on pen and paper its 40), and are fired or hired at will. We are expected to do more than just look pretty, and stress of getting fired runs very high here. Company will hire whoever works and contributes the most for minimum compensation.
Great point. I did notice people in London appeared better dressed than what I normally see in suburbia.

OTOH - most of us DO work like dogs at home, at the office, volunteering at school, etc . . . so there are other priorities as well.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 AM

3,417 posts, read 2,893,826 times
I find it hilarious how so many people can respond with such anger and hostility towards the op. The OP is absolutely RIGHT.

Putting effort into how you look should be just as important and common as putting effort into personal hygiene.

Eat right so as not to be fat, don't dress sloppily (unless you are at home relaxing), fix your hair, wear some makeup, etc. For gods sake people take some pride in your appearance.

Instead of trying to google articles to dispute what the OP says about Brazil and Russia, just realize that he/she is talking about HERE in the U.S. Its nothing wrong if you don't care about putting effort into not looking bad, that's fine, just continue looking bad, but don't get angry because someone mentions it.

In the most simplistic terms, just don't be fat and more than likely you will be considered attractive or at the very least "normal". Add in some kind of fashion sense, style your hair, wear clothing that fits, and don't drag your feet when you walk. But for the most part, just don't be fat and you should be good.

As far as the article goes that someone posted about obesity in Russia, that is two years old and probably lumps the older generation and male population into those findings. My extended family are Russian, many of my friends are as well and NONE of them are even remotely overweight/obese. NOT a single one. Same for most of the Russians I know/see around where I live (Los Angeles). The only ones who appear to be overweight are the women who are either 1)working to lose their babyfat; or 2) older babushkas who just don't care anymore. Almost all the other women are thin/fit and stylish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or