U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-21-2014, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25978

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulblueskies View Post
I agree, I'm a size 12/14 woman and my finger and toe nails, and hair are professionally maintained, my makeup is always perfect (though I don't need any) and my shoes and clothes are always to the nines. Men of all races look at me all the time, so what that I'm technically considered overweight, I'm definitely not frumpy, so the idea of overweight=frumpy is ignorant. Yes in high school I did a better job of staying skinny, but that was because I only ate celery and grapefruits. Now, if I lose the weight, great, but until then, I'm going to continue to be an attractive overweight woman who maintains herself otherwise.

Generalizations are lame.
So true!

Even though I am not skinny, I get compliments on my outfits all the time..from people of all sizes, ages and backgrounds.

I don't wear makeup often. I am too lazy. I put most of my effort into making my skin more even, but on a daily basis? Maybe some lip gloss and I put some gold toned highlighter in my moisturizer to add a glow. Occasionally mascara. I do feel more "put together" when I where makeup but I am quite used to seeing myself without it. My mom never wore makeup, except the occasional swipe of lipstick on special occasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 PM
 
164 posts, read 151,432 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So many people think "dressing up" is this huge thing. I went out for coffee over the weekend and the worker was like you are so dressed up! Where are you going? And i was going somewhere (brunch), but my dress is made of stretchy cotton and feels like PJs. And a cardigan. So it might have looked like I was making a "huge" effort. But reality is that it was no more complicated than putting on jeans and a t-shirt. In fact it was less complicated.

It is, isn't it? That's why lately I've been buying a lot of one piece dresses because you save so much time picking what to go with it and you looked much better too.



You can dress well and you can have great makeup skills and go to the best hair stylist but you got to take care of the basics first: good skin and being fit and healthy. Being and looking healthy make you look good even when you have to open a door in your pjs. Beside looking good, it will save you a lot of aches and pains later in life. The clothes, the hair and the powders are just enhancements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 12:48 PM
 
164 posts, read 151,432 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
To MissLexi. Here is what I do everyday to stay healthy:

Shower in the morning with coconut oil and use sandalwood powder
Lift weights every afternoon and use deodorant afterwards
Keep myself well hydrated
Remained 100% vegan ever since birth

Do I in Anyway look attractive ? Judging by the opinion of CD posters, its a loud and clear No.

You're a vegan MAN. You could make vegetarian girls come over from left and right just by curling your forefinger at them. When you're rare, looks don't really matter at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
241 posts, read 265,892 times
Reputation: 387
About the weight thing, look there is an obesity epidemic in this country. Not to mention child obesity is sadly on the rise. I don't think its a bad idea to encourage others to be more active and eat healthier foods. I realize healthy comes in all shapes and sizes, and that some people naturally have more fat on them or are big boned. However no one is born obese, and its something we need to tackle head on before the problem becomes even worse then it is. Even if you are at a healthy weight, you could benefit from my advise, like I said earlier just because you are skinny doesn't mean you are healthy.

This isn't solely about being attractive, but healthy. Which in the end trumps all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
13,475 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Reputation: 23956
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Fat and slob are not interchangeable.
You can be overweight without being a slob. Losing weight is often very difficult and requires a lot of effort and time and discipline, not to mention medical issues. That doesn't mean you stop taking care of your appearance.
Being a slob, however, IS shameful. It shows a basic disrespect of yourself. If being a slob is okay, can we then let go of personal hygiene too? After all, WHY are we required to bathe, brush teeth, wear deodorant? What if a person is happy not doing any of these things?
We sure have no problem shaming people who are bad housekeepers, who are slobs when it comes to having dirty houses, who are hoarders or have nasty yards, etc. Yet god forbid you say anything about the people wearing dirty pajamas out, two sizes too small with flesh rolling out of them, greasy hair, etc. That's clearly not politically correct.
Same can be said for people who drink alcohol, eat cake, cookies, fast good, etc; all detrimental to ones health and showing lack of respect for ones health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
241 posts, read 265,892 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Same can be said for people who drink alcohol, eat cake, cookies, fast good, etc; all detrimental to ones health and showing lack of respect for ones health.
No one said you couldn't indulge yourself once in a while, and eat something sweet. You just gotta do it in moderation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 AM
 
2,079 posts, read 2,476,392 times
Reputation: 3947
lots of hate in the thread. but i agree with OP on everything.

lots of people in the thread are obviously mad because they're overweight and dress like your typical obese wal-mart scooter riddled shopper.

how do you feel that you deserve respect from others when you don't even respect yourself and what you wear or what you put into your body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 AM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
lots of hate in the thread. but i agree with OP on everything.

lots of people in the thread are obviously mad because they're overweight and dress like your typical obese wal-mart scooter riddled shopper.

how do you feel that you deserve respect from others when you don't even respect yourself and what you wear or what you put into your body?
Everyone will have a subjective opinion on what that means.

Some think if they dress up nice to them, as in comfortable clothing etc. then it is doing their best.

While others will think if you aren't wearing the newest trendy clothes then you are a slob or your fashion is out of date and slobby.


I agree with the OP, take care of you for you. That doesn't mean you have to be a fashion model, it just means that you can take care of your body and clothing to the best of your ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Reputation: 25978
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
lots of hate in the thread. but i agree with OP on everything.

lots of people in the thread are obviously mad because they're overweight and dress like your typical obese wal-mart scooter riddled shopper.

how do you feel that you deserve respect from others when you don't even respect yourself and what you wear or what you put into your body?
Yup that's it exactly. I just wear pajama pants with scrub tops.

You probably missed the nuance in some of the feedback. You can take care in your appearance at any and every size. Provided you don't have more pressing commitments and obligations that do not leave you the time or energy to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM
 
2,079 posts, read 2,476,392 times
Reputation: 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You probably missed the nuance in some of the feedback. You can take care in your appearance at any and every size. Provided you don't have more pressing commitments and obligations that do not leave you the time or energy to do that.
how do people get away with using this as an excuse? pressing committments & obligations...don't most of them at least require some degree of personal upkeep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top