U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,879 posts, read 28,188,703 times
Reputation: 26003

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
how do people get away with using this as an excuse? pressing committments & obligations...don't most of them at least require some degree of personal upkeep?
If you are the primary care taker of a loved one who is really sick, it is hard to put yourself first. If you work 70-80 hours a week and your job has a uniform you may not have the energy to get dolled up in your personal time. If you are the stay at home parent of a bunch of toddlers you are probably pretty busy.

There are tons of reasons. Not everyone can or is good at putting themselves first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,207,918 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you are the primary care taker of a loved one who is really sick, it is hard to put yourself first. If you work 70-80 hours a week and your job has a uniform you may not have the energy to get dolled up in your personal time. If you are the stay at home parent of a bunch of toddlers you are probably pretty busy.

There are tons of reasons. Not everyone can or is good at putting themselves first.
Just pick up one of those makeup guns. I think the key point is that you should try to make yourself presentable whenever and where ever you are, regardless of how tired you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 AM
 
1,167 posts, read 1,040,744 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Just pick up one of those makeup guns. I think the key point is that you should try to make yourself presentable whenever and where ever you are, regardless of how tired you are.
And some people think a pair of jeans, a clean, unwrinkled shirt and a comb run through their hair is perfectly presentable and acceptable day to day and unless going somewhere that more dressed up attire expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,879 posts, read 28,188,703 times
Reputation: 26003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
And some people think a pair of jeans, a clean, unwrinkled shirt and a comb run through their hair is perfectly presentable and acceptable day to day and unless going somewhere that more dressed up attire expected.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 AM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,207,918 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
And some people think a pair of jeans, a clean, unwrinkled shirt and a comb run through their hair is perfectly presentable and acceptable day to day and unless going somewhere that more dressed up attire expected.
That's pretty much how I dress, albeit with those things being nice. Whatever your fashion is though, just make yourself presentable, if that is something simple and minimalistic all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,879 posts, read 28,188,703 times
Reputation: 26003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Just pick up one of those makeup guns. I think the key point is that you should try to make yourself presentable whenever and where ever you are, regardless of how tired you are.
Yesterday I didn't put a ton of care in my appearance. I was tired. My skin was tripping out and I had dry patches (I probably have eczema and my skin hates me this week). I need to do laundry so all my favorite outfits put together were dirty.

I combed my hair into a ponytail, loaded up on moisturizer, put on a t-shirt, cardigan, skirt and loafers and called it a day. I didn't have the mental energy to do anything else.

My clothing was clean, my hair was combed. My outfit "matched." That is sufficient to look presentable. Makeup not required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,226 posts, read 7,411,312 times
Reputation: 17876
It starts with the kids in school. No dress code? They come to school in cut-offs, flip-flops, t-shirts advertising heavy metal bands or alcoholic drinks. School decides enough is enough and declares there will now be a dress code. No cut-offs, no advertising on shirts, khakis okay and shirts must have a collar.

OMG!! Here comes Momma Bear, loudly proclaiming her Snowflake's right to express him/herself by wearing the clothes he/she likes. And besides, Momma just spent a boatload of money on new jeans and "stuff" and doesn't have the money to go buy more clothes. (Of course, the fact that Junior hasn't yet been seen in any of this new "stuff" doesn't matter.)

Kid graduates and gets a job and is offended when Boss says "Those clothes you're wearing to the interview aren't appropriate for wearing on the job." So, Kid lives with Momma Bear who supports Kid financially for the next 40 years.

Yes, we all have the right to express ourselves. Up until the moment when the Man Who Signs the Paycheck tells us to put on some shoes and iron your shirt.

The slovenly look starts early and as long as there are Momma Bears who reinforce wrong choices, people will continue to dress that way. I always wore "dress clothes" to work. No not a Formal gown. Don't be ridiculous. A skirt and sweater; a dress and jacket; stockings and heels; hair washed and combed; make-up.

Now, I'm retired but when I go to the store, I make sure I'm dressed nicely in clean clothes. My only concession is to footwear. Mainly, I wear sneakers because they are comfortable when I'm walking and assure better footing. But if I'm going out to eat or to a show, I'll put on real shoes.
When I attend church services, I'm appalled at the clothes some people opt to wear to a solemn occasion. Yes, yes, I've heard all the crap about how "God doesn't care what I wear to church."
Well, I don't presume to know what God thinks about my shorts and tank top in His house, so I'll go with the safe side.

As far as "attractive", there are different degrees. I once saw a woman, probably in her late 60s, about 4'11", in jeans and western boots. Silver gray hair and an attitude that exuded such confidence that I found myself staring at her. The man with her didn't look like much, but the way she looked at him, I knew SHE found him attractive. Degrees...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,207,918 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yesterday I didn't put a ton of care in my appearance. I was tired. My skin was tripping out and I had dry patches (I probably have eczema and my skin hates me this week). I need to do laundry so all my favorite outfits put together were dirty.

I combed my hair into a ponytail, loaded up on moisturizer, put on a t-shirt, cardigan, skirt and loafers and called it a day. I didn't have the mental energy to do anything else.

My clothing was clean, my hair was combed. My outfit "matched." That is sufficient to look presentable. Makeup not required.
Sounds good to me, I'm not a fan of makeup anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
241 posts, read 266,335 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
That's pretty much how I dress, albeit with those things being nice. Whatever your fashion is though, just make yourself presentable, if that is something simple and minimalistic all the better.
This is what I have been trying to get people in this thread to understand, you don't have to dress like your going to the club everytime you go out but making sure you look presentable with what you got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,879 posts, read 28,188,703 times
Reputation: 26003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
This is what I have been trying to get people in this thread to understand, you don't have to dress like your going to the club everytime you go out but making sure you look presentable with what you got.
Working with what you've got is a slightly different than the OPs. I agree that everyone should work with what you've got now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top