U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM
 
2,540 posts, read 3,316,160 times
Reputation: 5542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
For people to understand my point about dressing/styling, I am going to use people shopping at the grocery store as an example:

With perhaps the exception of the vintage photos, no one in the pics above are dressing up all fancy nor is supermodel beautiful. They are all attractive in book because of how nice and put together a lot of them look. I realize a lot of these pictures are probably of models, and are not the best example of my point. If anyone has a better example of what I mean, please post pictures.
Aaaand then you have this







You can't say these people are so busy that they put less care and time into how they dressed than the people in the pics above...if anything it looks like it should've taken some of them a fair bit of time and effort to squeeze themselves into their outfits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 PM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,309,931 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
For people to understand my point about dressing/styling, I am going to use people shopping at the grocery store as an example:























With perhaps the exception of the vintage photos, no one in the pics above are dressing up all fancy nor is supermodel beautiful. They are all attractive in my book because of how nice and put together a lot of them look. I don't think a lot of people realize how much dressing nicely and carrying yourself with dignity can add so much to your attractiveness.
I realize a lot of these pictures are probably of models, and are not the best example of my point. If anyone has a better example of what I mean, please post pictures.
Wow! Are these photos of actual people? They look good enough to be models!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
241 posts, read 267,405 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Wow! Are these photos of actual people? They look good enough to be models!
I know some of them are staged pics with models, but half the pics are just regular folks shopping at the store. Each picture has people of different shapes, sizes, and race yet the thing they all have in common is they all dress decently, look well groomed/clean and look like they take care of themselves. Those are legitimately the only things that makes them more attractive then the people EvilCookie posted.

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-26-2014 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,576,325 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
If anyone has a better example of what I mean, please post pictures.
Myself completely dressed up. This is my usual outfit from December-March every year, give or take a couple days.




Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 06-26-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,309,931 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Aaaand then you have this







You can't say these people are so busy that they put less care and time into how they dressed than the people in the pics above...if anything it looks like it should've taken some of them a fair bit of time and effort to squeeze themselves into their outfits...

Well, we don't know the whole issue. These people might be poor, very sick, or just too busy, or discouraged, to dress up. It sometimes takes a lot of work to get over one's insecurities. (Also, these could have been Photoshoped. The media will always play its dirty little tricks.) I say we should help the whole person, not just the body. Who is to say that the women in the picture aren't going through deep depression, have serious body image misperceptions, or just think they "aren't valuable" to society? Besides, standards of beauty change. Believe it or not, there was a time in European history when thin was out; it meant you were poor and could not afford food. It was also once fashionable for women to poison their blood by putting harmful metals on their skin. Now, it's again fashionable for the "haves" to condemn the "have-nots." It amazes me how fashion's outlandish trends manage to enslave us everytime, even though one extreme is almost as unhealthy as the next. What can we get out of hating one another? Why can't we just see people as people and start thinking instead of just following? It's sickening how a few small images probably encourage a barrage of assumptions. If these are real people, they should be pitied and assisted, not judged and hated.

That said, though, I do think people should pay attention to their appearance like they pay attention to their health, as it frequently creates the same impression. Those who can afford to should dress well, but the poor and discouraged shouldn't be hated; they should be encouraged and cared for. Kindness does a lot more than condemnation. I think that many people want to change but don't know how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
241 posts, read 267,405 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, we don't know the whole issue. These people might be poor, very sick, or just too busy, or discouraged, to dress up. It sometimes takes a lot of work to get over one's insecurities. (Also, these could have been Photoshoped. The media will always play its dirty little tricks.) I say we should help the whole person, not just the body. Who is to say that the women in the picture aren't going through deep depression, have serious body image misperceptions, or just think they "aren't valuable" to society? Besides, standards of beauty change. Believe it or not, there was a time in European history when thin was out; it meant you were poor and could not afford food. It was also once fashionable for women to poison their blood by putting harmful metals on their skin. Now, it's again fashionable for the "haves" to condemn the "have-nots." It amazes me how fashion's outlandish trends manage to enslave us everytime, even though one extreme is almost as unhealthy as the next. What can we get out of hating one another? Why can't we just see people as people and start thinking instead of just following? It's sickening how a few small images probably encourage a barrage of assumptions. If these are real people, they should be pitied and assisted, not judged and hated.

That said, though, I do think people should pay attention to their appearance like they pay attention to their health, as it frequently creates the same impression. Those who can afford to should dress well, but the poor and discouraged shouldn't be hated; they should be encouraged and cared for. Kindness does a lot more than condemnation. I think that many people want to change but don't know how.
That is very true, I know this use to apply to me. America does need to be better about educating people on the effect of drugs, bad foods, etc, have on the body. As someone who use to live in very obese area, a lot folks are just truly clueless about it.
Also people shouldn't base their attractiveness on the what the fashion industry puts out or air brushed models. Models are usually solely picked for their height and unique features, and no one looks like those airbrushed models in magazines. We need to develop a more realistic expectations on what makes a person attractive.

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-26-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,576,325 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, we don't know the whole issue. These people might be poor, very sick, or just too busy, or discouraged, to dress up. It sometimes takes a lot of work to get over one's insecurities. (Also, these could have been Photoshoped. The media will always play its dirty little tricks.) I say we should help the whole person, not just the body. Who is to say that the women in the picture aren't going through deep depression, have serious body image misperceptions, or just think they "aren't valuable" to society? Besides, standards of beauty change. Believe it or not, there was a time in European history when thin was out; it meant you were poor and could not afford food. It was also once fashionable for women to poison their blood by putting harmful metals on their skin. Now, it's again fashionable for the "haves" to condemn the "have-nots." It amazes me how fashion's outlandish trends manage to enslave us everytime, even though one extreme is almost as unhealthy as the next. What can we get out of hating one another? Why can't we just see people as people and start thinking instead of just following? It's sickening how a few small images probably encourage a barrage of assumptions. If these are real people, they should be pitied and assisted, not judged and hated.

That said, though, I do think people should pay attention to their appearance like they pay attention to their health, as it frequently creates the same impression. Those who can afford to should dress well, but the poor and discouraged shouldn't be hated; they should be encouraged and cared for. Kindness does a lot more than condemnation. I think that many people want to change but don't know how.
I agree. Many of these folks are poor or have medical issues. They want to look pretty as well but can't usually because their priorities are different. On speaking with some of them, I actually found out that most were very nice people but had so much burden in their daily lives. Shaming and grouping all of these people as lazy slobs is the last straw. Please, teach and guide in a kind hearted and firm manner, don't point fingers and laugh. At least that is what my mother taught me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 PM
 
2,540 posts, read 3,316,160 times
Reputation: 5542
I'm sorry, call me cold-hearted and uncaring. But I still don't see what terrible things in these people's lives would force them into putting on see-through lace pants or a hot-pink spandex ensemble. Honestly, if they were sick or depressed they wouldn't have the energy to pour themselves into one of these things, that would take considerable physical effort!

My grandma lived in the Soviet Union through the war. Her family went through starvation, literally. she ate watermelon rinds off the ground. For the longest time when she was in school and then university, she had one dress, and one coat. That's it. But she told me how, every couple of nights, she would wash it, starch and iron so it had perfect creases, patched up any holes, because she was already embarrassed to look 'poor' and made sure that if anything, that dress fit her like a glove and was clean and pressed. I saw pictures of her from that time - she would always have her hair done and lipstick on (a precious, treasured tube), and she looked great. So no, sorry, I don't buy that the People of Walmart are too poor to afford a t-shirt that actually covers their body, just not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 11:35 PM
 
398 posts, read 361,585 times
Reputation: 780
The reason all of those people are attractive is because they are wearing clothes that fit them, and are flattering to them.

Clothes do make the person. If you have a sense of style, you can improve your looks just by upping your wardrobe. This is why, when you wear t shirts and jeans most of the time, and then get dressed up for a function, people say, "You clean up good." That's because...it is cleaning up!

All of the attractive celebrities also don't go around wearing potato sacks. I don't think Kristen Stewart is all that attractive, but she can be sexy because she knows how to be fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,309,931 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Myself completely dressed up. This is my usual outfit from December-March every year, give or take a couple days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm sorry, call me cold-hearted and uncaring. But I still don't see what terrible things in these people's lives would force them into putting on see-through lace pants or a hot-pink spandex ensemble. Honestly, if they were sick or depressed they wouldn't have the energy to pour themselves into one of these things, that would take considerable physical effort!

My grandma lived in the Soviet Union through the war. Her family went through starvation, literally. she ate watermelon rinds off the ground. For the longest time when she was in school and then university, she had one dress, and one coat. That's it. But she told me how, every couple of nights, she would wash it, starch and iron so it had perfect creases, patched up any holes, because she was already embarrassed to look 'poor' and made sure that if anything, that dress fit her like a glove and was clean and pressed. I saw pictures of her from that time - she would always have her hair done and lipstick on (a precious, treasured tube), and she looked great. So no, sorry, I don't buy that the People of Walmart are too poor to afford a t-shirt that actually covers their body, just not buying it.
I'm just saying that it's a possibility. I knew someone who was suffering from cancer and getting beaten up by her boyfriend. She dressed badly, because she was too mentally burdened to feel that it would do any good. She dressed badly before she found out about the cancer, because the joy had been sucked out of her life. Not to mention, her rat boyfriend kept her in debt to his friends and family and kept her too busy for her to really take care of herself. That's an extreme example, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top