U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,792,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I'm at a lost, most people I encounter pretty much look like the people in the picks featured for dressed up, which I consider rather average everyday non dressed up looks. Now on the other end, I don't know where one regularly encounters people dressed like the people in the I don't even know what to call the dress down styles, I don't know anyone that would even sleep in that stuff. But like someone said, maybe they just don't know any better have mental issues or the like.

If this thread was made to help people, I'm not sure the target audience as there are over weight people feature in the dressed up pics as well who look very nice, so is it fat people or just people who dress so extremely horrific, they really shouldn't be let out the house with an advisor or both. There was the, ick I can't don't like the sight of fat/over-weight people. in the early posting to oh just dressing appropriately. I'm confused and if anyone is further confused by what I just said, it's in line with this thread so far.

I say take the advice to the street, because I, highly, doubt anyone on this section of the site wears whats featured in those Walmart shoppers photos.

I'm confused also. This thread is all over the place.

I think the OP meant to shame overweight people and then switched it up when people caught on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,549,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I think the OP meant to shame overweight people and then switched it up when people caught on.
I only read the beginning part, so I know exactly what she was doing.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,306,776 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the OP meant sloppy, not overweight people who are put together and take care of themselves.

But maybe people are getting offended because these things are a bit related - as in, like it or not, but it's generally 'easier' for very overweight people to look sloppy wearing things that a slimmer person may get away with. Things like tight workout gear, or ripped jeans and a tank top, may look great on one of those 'celebs caught on the weekend' shots but will look downright awful on an obese person.
Yes, I know that's not politically correct. But I deal with that myself too, even though I'm not overweight in the least, I don't have the perfect body - and I know that, for instance, I can't get away with wearing boyfriend jeans and a wifebeater for that casual look like someone who is fitter and tanner could. On me, it'll look downright sloppy - but if I trade it in for dark skinnies and a feminine blouse, I'll look great and put together. Curvier women also tend to look fantastic in retro-ish dresses and pencil skirts, or leggings, boots, and tunics, there's plenty of options out there.

Same with the makeup, like I've said before. For example, my mom and my grandma were both blessed with nice even features, bright eyes, etc, and could get away without wearing makeup. Neither my sister or I were so lucky - we both have very similar sallow skin tones, deep-set eyes, no cheekbones, and hereditary dark circles that won't go away. When we don't wear makeup, we look sleepy and ill, and makeup makes a huge difference. Again, just need to be honest with yourself.

Last edited by EvilCookie; 06-27-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP meant sloppy, not overweight people who are put together and take care of themselves.

But maybe people are getting offended because these things are a bit related - as in, like it or not, but it's generally 'easier' for very overweight people to look sloppy wearing things that a slimmer person may get away with. Things like tight workout gear, or ripped jeans and a tank top, may look great on one of those 'celebs caught on the weekend' shots but will look downright awful on an obese person.
Yes, I know that's not politically correct. But I deal with that myself too, even though I'm not overweight in the least, I don't have the perfect body - and I know that, for instance, I can't get away with wearing boyfriend jeans and a wifebeater for that casual look like someone who is fitter and tanner could. On me, it'll look downright sloppy - but if I trade it in for dark skinnies and a feminine blouse, I'll look great and put together. Curvier women also tend to look fantastic in retro-ish dresses and pencil skirts, or leggings, boots, and tunics, there's plenty of options out there.

Same with the makeup, like I've said before. For example, my mom and my grandma were both blessed with nice even features, bright eyes, etc, and could get away without wearing makeup. Neither my sister or I were so lucky - we both have very similar sallow skin tones, deep-set eyes, no cheekbones, and hereditary dark circles that won't go away. When we don't wear makeup, we look sleepy and ill, and makeup makes a huge difference. Again, just need to be honest with yourself.
Naw, she meant overweight people in general.

And it's really not her business how people present themselves while going about their own business. Perhaps she could focus on her own perfect appearance so that the unwashed, sloppy masses don't bother her so much.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM

11,735 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Quote:

And it's really not her business how people present themselves while going about their own business. Perhaps she could focus on her own perfect appearance so that the unwashed, sloppy masses don't bother her so much.
Been there! Some who loose weight get lost in it. They also loose tolerance with those who are not perfect in their mindset. So how come OP lost something the rest is not supposed to have?

I am generally a pretty happy camper. How I doll up or not is my decision. Size 18 or 8 is also to a point my decision. Making fun of others has never been my idea of fun. Live and let live.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Been there! Some who loose weight get lost in it. They also loose tolerance with those who are not perfect in their mindset. So how come OP lost something the rest is not supposed to have?

I am generally a pretty happy camper. How I doll up or not is my decision. Size 18 or 8 is also to a point my decision. Making fun of others has never been my idea of fun. Live and let live.
I totally agree.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,306,776 times
Quote:

I dunno. Personally I very much doubt that the OP, or anyone else, would call this young woman sloppy or unkempt:

Weight is just another excuse.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I dunno. Personally I very much doubt that the OP, or anyone else, would call this young woman sloppy or unkempt:

I doubt it, but some people just do not feel the need to wear things like this on a daily basis. I know I don't.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,398,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I'm at a lost, most people I encounter pretty much look like the people in the picks featured for dressed up, which I consider rather average everyday non dressed up looks. Now on the other end, I don't know where one regularly encounters people dressed like the people inthe I don't even know what to call the dress down styles, I don't know anyone that would even sleep in that stuff. But like someone said, maybe they just don't know any better have mental issues or the like.

If this thread was made to help people, I'm not sure the target audience as there are over weight people feature in the dressed up pics as well who look very nice,so is it fat people or just people who dress so extremely horrific, they really shouldn't be let out the house with an advisor or both. There was the, ick I can't don't like the sight of fat/over-weight people. in the early posting to oh just dressing appropriately. I'm confused and if anyone is further confused by what I just said, it's in line with this thread so far.

I say take the advice to the street, because I, highly, doubt anyone on this section of the site wears whats featured in those Walmart shoppers photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I know I sure don't! =/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't even know where you buy that stuff. :P
Quote:
LOL Some of these people look like they came straight from the office.

I'm in jeans and a T-shirt or sweater on weekends if I'm at the store. I'm not trying to impress anyone - I just want to grab my stuff and go.
Quote:
I'm confused also. This thread is all over the place. I think the OP meant to shame overweight people and then switched it up when people caught on.
[quote=Pikantari;35418041]I only read the beginning part, so I know exactly what she was doing.[/quote]

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I totally agree.
Well, there you have it and I stayed away because I thought I just didn't understand it at all...phew

Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM

706 posts, read 913,227 times
Quote:

I don't think this woman is dressed sloppily at all. I do, however, think that for most people (not all), having a lot of extra weight makes them look sloppy or sloppier than if they were a reasonable size. Fat rolls and lumps/bumps make for a sloppy looking physique which factors into a personas overall appearance and level of attractiveness IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or