U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:07 PM

5,190 posts, read 3,783,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I dunno. Personally I very much doubt that the OP, or anyone else, would call this young woman sloppy or unkempt:

Weight is just another excuse.
LOL

Who dresses like that everyday???

Nice try, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
LOL

Who dresses like that everyday???

Nice try, I guess.
Geez, well clearly it's not something you wear grocery shopping It's obviously a dressier outfit - a party, a work function, dinner out. You wear something more casual for other occasions, but it can still look just as stylish The point was that you can be plus-size and still very much look stylish and put together, weight is not a deciding factor. And it sure beats pulling on some ugly polyester sack, which many women at her weight would do because they have poor body image or are too busy or too depressed or can't be bothered.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,607,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
The majority of people are lazy these days and are quick to let themselves go. I strongly believe though if everyone put in a good effort in dieting, styling, and grooming most people could be at least average looking. Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american. With the amount of european stock most people are mixed with I actually think if people got into shape we could be considered one of the best looking nations in the world. As the russian saying goes,"no such thing as an ugly women only a lazy." This of course also applies to men. What do you think?
Well I used to think that I could look good with some effort but I have broken so many mirrors that I lost hope. I am highly deficient in the looks department so I just enjoy life as much as I can and that is about it.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I don't think this woman is dressed sloppily at all. I do, however, think that for most people (not all), having a lot of extra weight makes them look sloppy or sloppier than if they were a reasonable size. Fat rolls and lumps/bumps make for a sloppy looking physique which factors into a personas overall appearance and level of attractiveness IMO.
I agree, however this is something that many people seriously struggle with, and losing a lot of weight is a very difficult undertaking for many, requiring lots of effort, time, and willpower, and can often be compounded by medical issues, etc. So I wouldn't necessarily point to overweight people as all being lazy slobs.
Presenting yourself well, however, is really NOT all that hard, and is realistic and doable at any size, weight, or age. So I have less compassion for people who CAN but CHOOSE not to do it.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:21 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
I dunno. Personally I very much doubt that the OP, or anyone else, would call this young woman sloppy or unkempt:

Weight is just another excuse.
she dresses cute about 90% of the time. But I am sure she doesn't blog when its not a cute outfit. LOL!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Also, if you look at some of her outfit pictures and then at swimsuit shots, it's pretty shocking how much smaller an outfit can make you look. Like, how adorable is this:

Old 06-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Geez, well clearly it's not something you wear grocery shopping It's obviously a dressier outfit - a party, a work function, dinner out. You wear something more casual for other occasions, but it can still look just as stylish The point was that you can be plus-size and still very much look stylish and put together, weight is not a deciding factor. And it sure beats pulling on some ugly polyester sack, which many women at her weight would do because they have poor body image or are too busy or too depressed or can't be bothered.
If you are over roughly size 14 or 16, it takes a lot of work to find things other than shapeless polyester muumuus. So if you don't have time for the hunt, well you aren't going to find the cute stuff in regular mall stores (like Gabifresh's outfits).

Old 06-27-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
she dresses cute about 90% of the time. But I am sure she doesn't blog when its not a cute outfit. LOL!
Eh, I don't have a blog, but most of the time I like to dress like I do
In fact sometimes I feel sad that I don't, when I go out in a great outfit and no one notices But it still makes ME feel great.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Eh, I don't have a blog, but most of the time I like to dress like I do
In fact sometimes I feel sad that I don't, when I go out in a great outfit and no one notices But it still makes ME feel great.
Hehe! I know the feeling.

Sometimes I feel like "hey my outfit is so cute, where are the compliments!" And then other days I'll pick a combo that doesn't work, or I am unsure about and random people are like "cute outfit!"

Old 06-27-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you are over roughly size 14 or 16, it takes a lot of work to find things other than shapeless polyester muumuus. So if you don't have time for the hunt, well you aren't going to find the cute stuff in regular mall stores (like Gabifresh's outfits).
First off, with online shopping these days, it's totally doable. I'm not plus-size but I do most of my shopping online because shopping with a kid in tow is a pain.
Second, no one says everyone needs to dress like a fashion blogger. But finding regular, nice clothes that aren't muu-muus or pajamas or stretchy polyester, I have a hard trouble believing it's impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or