U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:39 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
First off, with online shopping these days, it's totally doable. I'm not plus-size but I do most of my shopping online because shopping with a kid in tow is a pain.
Second, no one says everyone needs to dress like a fashion blogger. But finding regular, nice clothes that aren't muu-muus or pajamas or stretchy polyester, I have a hard trouble believing it's impossible.
There is no way I would clothes shop online unless they included free and unlimited returns shipping. I can't even tell if something is the right size or will fit right and look good when I take it off the rack in store. Chances are even worse when shopping online. I'll shop for shoes online and only because of the shipping return policy which I've had to use multiple times. I've shopped a few times for clothes online and it wasn't worth the hassle in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:41 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
First off, with online shopping these days, it's totally doable. I'm not plus-size but I do most of my shopping online because shopping with a kid in tow is a pain.
Second, no one says everyone needs to dress like a fashion blogger. But finding regular, nice clothes that aren't muu-muus or pajamas or stretchy polyester, I have a hard trouble believing it's not doable.
Not exactly. I have floated in the neighborhood of size 14-16 since basically age 16. I uncovered Gabi's blog on a mission for skinny jeans or something and found her style matched mine half of the time.

Let me tell you, there weren't even cute and on trend stuff until 5 years ago. And most of it is from UK or Aussie stores so it was both expensive and had shipping or customs fees. Those spots only added US distribution in the last 2-3 years, so get prepared to pay huge costs to return.

So basically that leaves you with Gap, Old Navy and Ann Taylor. And Torrid, which was for younger people, but has low quality clothes (and rockabilly style).

And only Old Navy sells sizes over 16 in their stores. And trust me, cute stuff, particularly for women under 35, did not exist from like 1996-2008, particularly semi-professional or professional stuff. In order to get an actual flattering interview suit, I needed to spend like $80 on alterations. And it took me basically 7 years to find a basic skirt suit that didn't look like an 80s power suit, or at mid-calf length or 80s politicians wife or with an actually flattering blazer.

You really have to seek out special stores if you are over a 16 or you happen to be bigger and have an hourglass figure, because "normal" stores clothes are cut really horribly if you are hippy or have bigger thighs. Most stores cut for women with skinny legs, at all sizes. My mom has mostly always been a skinny minnie and always had to size up to fit her pear-shape thighs. Sometimes 2 sizes up, and then just alter everything else. So most of the time, for me personally, size 16 pants don't fit, they are too tight in the thigh and baggy in the waist.

Now it is a little better, there are places like Forever 21+, ASOS, Dorothy Perkins, Evans and Modcloth that offer on trend stuff for moderate prices. But that stuff wasn't really available until 2011 or so. And you still have to be "in the know" to really find that stuff.

It is an epic fail, trust me.*

*and if you are bigger than roughly 20...well life sucks then. That blogger you posted a pic of is approximately a size 18. And I know we have all seen women larger than her walking around as well. It gets much much harder once you are an inch or 2 bigger than she is. Selection that is stylish and flattering is very very limited.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,302,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not exactly. I have floated in the neighborhood of size 14-16 since basically age 16. I uncovered Gabi's blog on a mission for skinny jeans or something and found her style matched mine half of the time.

Let me tell you, there weren't even cute and on trend stuff until 5 years ago. And most of it is from UK or Aussie stores so it was both expensive and had shipping or customs fees. Those spots only added US distribution in the last 2-3 years, so get prepared to pay huge costs to return.

So basically that leaves you with Gap, Old Navy and Ann Taylor. And Torrid, which was for younger people, but has low quality clothes (and rockabilly style).

And only Old Navy sells sizes over 16 in their stores. And trust me, cute stuff, particularly for women under 35, did not exist from like 1996-2008, particularly semi-professional or professional stuff. In order to get an actual flattering interview suit, I needed to spend like $80 on alterations. And it took me basically 7 years to find a basic skirt suit that didn't look like an 80s power suit, or at mid-calf length or 80s politicians wife or with an actually flattering blazer.

You really have to seek out special stores if you are over a 16 or you happen to be bigger and have an hourglass figure, because "normal" stores clothes are cut really horribly if you are hippy or have bigger thighs. Most stores cut for women with skinny legs, at all sizes. My mom has mostly always been a skinny minnie and always had to size up to fit her pear-shape thighs. Sometimes 2 sizes up, and then just alter everything else. So most of the time, for me personally, size 16 pants don't fit, they are too tight in the thigh and baggy in the waist.

Now it is a little better, there are places like Forever 21+, ASOS, Dorothy Perkins, Evans and Modcloth that offer on trend stuff for moderate prices. But that stuff wasn't really available until 2011 or so. And you still have to be "in the know" to really find that stuff.

It is an epic fail, trust me.*

*and if you are bigger than roughly 20...well life sucks then. That blogger you posted a pic of is approximately a size 18. And I know we have all seen women larger than her walking around as well. It gets much much harder once you are an inch or 2 bigger than she is. Selection that is stylish and flattering is very very limited.
I'm small but a pear shape, big hips, small waist, and no boobs, and yes it's a royal pain sometimes. If I find a pair of jeans or pants that actually fits, I stock on multiple pairs - because often even if they change the next batch slightly, it'll no longer fit.
I love Modcloth and get lots of stuff from there, and it has free returns, as does ASOS. I think the Modcloth style retro dresses and such are fantastic for curvier women.

...Damn, maybe I should start an online store for great clothes in larger sizes...seems to be a definite market opportunity there

Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,827,947 times
The majority of people are attractive - to someone.

They fact that they're not attractive to you says nothing of them, but merely speaks to your self-important notion that other people need to appear in ways you prefer so as to please you.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
I'm small but a pear shape, big hips, small waist, and no boobs, and yes it's a royal pain sometimes. If I find a pair of jeans or pants that actually fits, I stock on multiple pairs - because often even if they change the next batch slightly, it'll no longer fit.
I love Modcloth and get lots of stuff from there, and it has free returns, as does ASOS. I think the Modcloth style retro dresses and such are fantastic for curvier women.

...Damn, maybe I should start an online store for great clothes in larger sizes...seems to be a definite market opportunity there
Lots of opportunity! The big problem is, after let's say size 16, companies start cutting for size shapeless. Assuming that the women have no shape or definition at all, instead of dealing with different body types. You know, some women are pears, apples, hourglasses and so on. All the stuff is cut assuming you are "big" and suddenly there is no definition anywhere. I could never get a button down top, since I am busty, I sized out of mainstream sizes, and the "plus" sizes were just shapeless and too big and would require $50-100 of alterations to fit shoulders and waist. So I just decided I didn't need those in my wardrobe.

Supposedly, the variation increases quite a bit more as the sizes go up. I don't know if I buy that at all. I see women at all ends of the weight spectrum with different body types, it is just easier to ignore variation!

I also think a pear store would be helpful. I'd shop there for bottoms. I haven't got around to trying PZI jeans yet, because I finally got a couple of pairs I like. But that is next!

Check out the sizing! PZI Jeans

Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM

706 posts, read 912,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Lots of opportunity! The big problem is, after let's say size 16, companies start cutting for size shapeless. Assuming that the women have no shape or definition at all, instead of dealing with different body types. You know, some women are pears, apples, hourglasses and so on. All the stuff is cut assuming you are "big" and suddenly there is no definition anywhere. I could never get a button down top, since I am busty, I sized out of mainstream sizes, and the "plus" sizes were just shapeless and too big and would require $50-100 of alterations to fit shoulders and waist. So I just decided I didn't need those in my wardrobe.

Supposedly, the variation increases quite a bit more as the sizes go up. I don't know if I buy that at all. I see women at all ends of the weight spectrum with different body types, it is just easier to ignore variation!

I also think a pear store would be helpful. I'd shop there for bottoms. I haven't got around to trying PZI jeans yet, because I finally got a couple of pairs I like. But that is next!

Check out the sizing! PZI Jeans
I have about 8 pairs of their jeans from when I was a size 8 with a more ample behind. They do fit really well and I highly recommend. I'm just mad I can't wear mine anymore due to having lost so much weight.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:27 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
LOL
Who dresses like that everyday???
Nice try, I guess.
That's what I thought too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I don't think this woman is dressed sloppily at all. I do, however, think that for most people (not all), having a lot of extra weight makes them look sloppy or sloppier than if they were a reasonable size. Fat rolls and lumps/bumps make for a sloppy looking physique which factors into a personas overall appearance and level of attractiveness IMO.
After reading all the posts on this topic - it sounds like the script from the original Stepford Wives (and that first picture).

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 06-27-2014 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: error

Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM

8,004 posts, read 9,656,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
The majority of people are lazy these days and are quick to let themselves go. I strongly believe though if everyone put in a good effort in dieting, styling, and grooming most people could be at least average looking. Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american. With the amount of european stock most people are mixed with I actually think if people got into shape we could be considered one of the best looking nations in the world. As the russian saying goes,"no such thing as an ugly women only a lazy." This of course also applies to men. What do you think?
Wow.....yet another, "I think everybody who doesn't wanna spend time lookin' purty" post. Nice....OMG. What's it to YOU? OMG....because YOU would feel so much more comfortable in a purtier world? What the heck is YOUR definition of "pretty"? Personally....I love seeing women without makeup. You can really see you the purty one is....cuz she ain't got paint all over her face, making her look like somethin' she ain't!

Not gonna lie...when I see some women, all painted up to where they look like they've got a mask glued to their faces, I think, "ego issue?"...or "Wow, ....wow....either their hiding something?...or just eww."

Sure......I'm not gonna lie, I wear the stuff to work and if....IF I'm going somewhere dressy. The supermarket, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. are not places I consider "dressy". No dressy.....optional makeup.

If I'm going to a hardware store to pick up supplies or whatever....I have no intention of dolling up in stupid, uncomfortable shoes, clothes I give a crap about, OR makeup. I don't need to go in there looking like some purty lil' housewife, to pick up a load of lumber!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
That's what I thought too.

After reading all the posts on this topic - it sounds like the script from the original Stepford Wives (and that first picture).
OH dear gawd.......so this is what Stepford wives are like? Thank GOD I'm a country girl!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I don't think this woman is dressed sloppily at all. I do, however, think that for most people (not all), having a lot of extra weight makes them look sloppy or sloppier than if they were a reasonable size. Fat rolls and lumps/bumps make for a sloppy looking physique which factors into a personas overall appearance and level of attractiveness IMO.
You know...darn near anyone can look "sloppy" if their clothes don't fit right. I've lost a considerable amount of weight over the last year and for some reason, other women have to ALWAYS come up and comment on how SMALL I am..(hello...5'9" 185 lbs....bones sticking out and "well-proportioned"). I am NOT small. I am "well-muscled, well built, well proportioned, LARGE boned". Question #2- How did you do it? #3-So what size do you wear? Why? I love it when I state my size and someone with a giant muffin top says, "Oh, I used to be way bigger than you! I was a size 18 and now I'm a 10!"

Me?....I'm desperately praying that she can't read my mind as I think, "Chica...you're at LEAST a size 14. You just managed to squeeze yourself into those 10s, it don't mean they're YOUR size!"

What choice to heavy women have though? It's pretty hard to find something large that doesn't make you look.....well LARGE. It's sad and frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or