Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 PM

241 posts, read 359,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
In my opinion,if i am not turning heads after making a huge effort to look my best, then there is no point in looking my best.
But I FEEL great and attractive, needing to have yourself validated by other isn't a good motivation to better yourself physically. My boyfriend alone is the only person I need to make me feel sexy and desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Some people adorned themselves nicely in that period. The woman who worked in a hot factory all day didn't always have that luxury. Did a woman doing agricultural work in a hot dusty field look like that? Do photographs and movies from that period portray that sort of woman?
I realize that all women didn't look like or dress like movie stars everywhere they went, I am not suggesting to people they need to look like one everywhere they go. Its more how much more healthy they looked and how they held themselves with more dignity.

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-20-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you do realize that we aren't you? If you put your thread on a diet forum, or one for overweight people, and changed to title to say something like: "I lost weight and became attractive, you can too", it would be received very differently.
I just didn't want to talk about weight lost, but basic grooming tips that I did that which in the end made a DRAMATIC change in my appearance. If you put more effort into your appearance, you will be amazed at how much better you look, trust me on that.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,477 times
I've been reading this thread throughout the day. To the OP, you really are wasting your time, particularly about weight loss. I was a personal trainer for a period of time before I got completely burned out doing it. Trying to get most people to see the benefits of eating healthy and exercising when they themselves are not motivated to do so is akin to banging ones head on a brick wall. While some overweight people are perfectly happy with how their bodies look, a large majority simply don't want to put forth the discipline and the effort to make the change. Hence the reason why we have such an alarming number of overweight and obese.

As for dressing nicer...consider that some people really are doing the best they can to dress as nice as they can. Some people are struggling these days just to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads. For people like that, I seriously doubt that fashion and nice hairstyles are high on their list of priorities.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Lexl, people have told you what they think and you then reply with a much different scenario than your original post. Read your original post up above and honestly tell me that you don't see it as just a bit insulting and condescending? I do and that's why "you get what you give".

majority of people are lazy...not a good way to make friends and influence people, jmho.

most people could be at least average looking...way to go!

look better than the average American, uh yeah...no. Those are hostile generalizations on your part.

Yes, yes you are not only telling people what to do you are belittling and insulting them.

Deeply insecure, develop more of a personality (good advice for ALL of us)...

Just read this and tell me where in all of it is an 'encouraging' word?

Exactly...haughty and hostile to say the least.

Yeah Lexi, when people speak down to other people they have a tendency to take it PERSONALLY! 'Not shame people'...well, that ship has sailed! Time to rethink that one!

This entire thread, which you started, has been nothing but your attempt at shaming and denigrating people and then your trying to backtrack and say you didn't say what you said. Some friendly advice, next time maybe choose your words more carefully and say what you mean in the first place and not on the last page where you confess that you feel and look better because you quit drinking and drugging and are NOW taking personal responsibility for yourself and your actions. BRAVO, way to go; you should have said that in the first place rather than insulting Americans for being fat, lazy slobs; just my point of view!
I honestly don't feel like addressing each of your points, I am sorry to anyone if anyone read my first post as being nasty/judgmental, its was more encouragement.

I don't know why people are getting butt hurt about the European comparison. I am a proud American, but have been to serval European cities(Prague, London, Paris) and each time I was amazed at how clean cut and nice looking everyone looked. I am certainly not claiming they are better then Americans or don't engage in health hazardous practices(smoking), but I think we could certainly learn a few habits from them. They are not "naturally" better looking then Americans, they just put in my more effort to present their best. Having pride in your appearance is one the best traits anyone can have.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Having pride in your appearance is one the best traits anyone can have.
I Partly blame the brainwashing media. Just because some Hollywood chic looks smokin hot in yoga pants and sports bra does not mean the average person will look good in such clothes. People should learn to dress for themselves, and not respond to media brainwash.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I Partly blame the brainwashing media. Just because some Hollywood chic looks smokin hot in yoga pants and sports bra does not mean the average person will look good in such clothes. People should learn to dress for themselves, and not respond to media brainwash.
I actually think a lot of people in Hollywood who are seen as attractive, I doubt if they weren't famous people would hype them up as much as Hollywood does. In fact the only reason men/women in Hollywood look better then the average person is because its basically their job too, just look at pictures of celebrities without make up. Most to me still looked attractive, but not better then the average fit girl.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I actually think a lot of people in Hollywood who are seen as attractive, I doubt if they weren't famous people would hype them up as much as Hollywood does. In fact the only reason men/women in Hollywood look better then the average person is because its basically their job too, just look at pictures of celebrities without make up. Most to me still looked attractive, but not netter then the average fit girl.
What do you mean. OK, next time compare a raw picture of 20 year old Antonio Banderas shirtless with me. There is no way we look similar, and I am a "reasonably fit" guy.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
What do you mean. OK, next time compare a raw picture of 20 year old Antonio Banderas shirtless with me. There is no way we look similar, and I am a "reasonably fit" guy.
Only a handful of people in Hollywood are gifted physically, you can't forget that plastic surgery is rampant too. Antonio Banderas is better looking then average men due to his strong jaw and facial features, I never claimed that there aren't people in Hollywood who aren't naturally better looking then the average person. But the majority of folks in Hollywood are only better looking because its their job to be. Just look at pictures of celebrities without makeup, you can't honestly say they look better then the average fit/college girl.

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-20-2014 at 11:33 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 AM

92 posts, read 101,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Meh, I am the size of the "average american woman" and I still manage to find a way to dress cute most of the time.

Being put together has no size limits. There is definitely something to be said for putting some effort into your appearance. But there is no rule that says being overweight automatically means you need to dress frumpily as well.
I agree, I'm a size 12/14 woman and my finger and toe nails, and hair are professionally maintained, my makeup is always perfect (though I don't need any) and my shoes and clothes are always to the nines. Men of all races look at me all the time, so what that I'm technically considered overweight, I'm definitely not frumpy, so the idea of overweight=frumpy is ignorant. Yes in high school I did a better job of staying skinny, but that was because I only ate celery and grapefruits. Now, if I lose the weight, great, but until then, I'm going to continue to be an attractive overweight woman who maintains herself otherwise.

Generalizations are lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty