Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:16 PM

241 posts, read 359,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I might have been that person a time or two when my kid was in the early weeks of his life and I was running on 4 hours of sleep stretched out over 3 days in 20 minute increments but I still needed to go to the store.

Sometimes, you just don't know what's really going on.
That is very true. Americans don't get as much leisure time as Europeans do, so we general have to be better about time management. I don't have kids yet, but I could imagine how much more crazier my schedule would get if I did. Grooming myself and exercising has become like brushing my teeth to me, as I see as essential to my health. I honestly do hate how much we work at times, mothers especially have it bad as they usual work and take on the burden of the housework/childcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
I definitely agree with you on makeup. I think too many young women over due it on the makeup and rely on it to cover up their flaws. I told my sister who has suffered from acne all her life to cool it on the makeup and let her face breathe. The only thing she put on her face for months was skin regiment which helped nourish her face. Within six months her face cleared and never looked better! Makeup is wonderful because it helps emphasis feminine features on a women's face but a women should never be ashamed of her natural beauty and nourish it daily.
As for your second point, I am not encouraging people to put in little more effort solely for the opposite sex. I take care of myself by eating right, grooming myself, and exercising daily for no one but MYSELF. Attracting members of the opposite sex are the last thing on my mind when I partake in these activities. My wellbeing and making sure I live a long and happy LIFE is. You don't truly love the person your marrying of you only try to look sexy just so he'll marry you, how lame is that? If my boyfriend and I ever get married I will continue to maintain my grooming routine because one I am doing for MYSELF, not so I can trap him into marrying me. How lame do you have to be to do that?
IDK, people just get lazy and simply don't care.

There is a flip side to grooming as well. Look at other countries they have their ways of doing things in a more holistic approach, not using gobs and gobs of chemicals in plastic bottles. Hippies still groom, but seem to do it much more eco-friendly; that's sort of what I do. But yes, everyone should take care of themselves. Eating right, grooming, cleaning will all be better for yourself and the people around you. I just don't agree with the cosmetic world and the daily junk they sell to people so they can pollute the world all in favor of profits. A few states this past couple weeks outlawed soaps with those little beads in them, good. Minnesota has outlawed anti-bacterial soaps due to research suggesting an ingredient to be harmful.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
IDK, people just get lazy and simply don't care.

There is a flip side to grooming as well. Look at other countries they have their ways of doing things in a more holistic approach, not using gobs and gobs of chemicals in plastic bottles. Hippies still groom, but seem to do it much more eco-friendly; that's sort of what I do. But yes, everyone should take care of themselves. Eating right, grooming, cleaning will all be better for yourself and the people around you. I just don't agree with the cosmetic world and the daily junk they sell to people so they can pollute the world all in favor of profits. A few states this past couple weeks outlawed soaps with those little beads in them, good. Minnesota has outlawed anti-bacterial soaps due to research suggesting an ingredient to be harmful.
Vanity is frowned down upon in our culture as is should be. I don't want to turn America into South Korea were nearly every single young women gets plastic surgery. I think both men and women should put more effort into grooming, dieting, and styling not to look good but feel good too. The reason so many people get lazy about it is because they only do it to draw the attention of the opposite sex which isn't a bad thing but you should also do it for yourself.

Last edited by MissLadyLexi25; 06-17-2014 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Vanity is frowned down upon in our culture as is should be. I don't want to turn America into South Korea were nearly every single young women gets plastic surgery. I think both men and women should put more effort into grooming, dieting, and styling not to look good but feel good too. The reason so many people get lazy about it is because they only do it to draw the attention of the opposite sex which isn't a bad thing but should also do it for yourself.
Right on, I agree.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
What I meant by similar genetics that many Americans share the same genetics as Europeans and Brazilians. Thus dismissing any claim that Americans are naturally less attractive then their South american or European counterparts. The USA is a melting pot, there is little bit of everything here.
That is true, but just as an aside I have noticed that some of the teams in the World Cup are much better looking than others. For example, South Korea, total eye candy, Russia, not so much. Germans yuck. Portugal yum. And these are all fit youngish guys identically dressed, so it's kind of an even playing field. And actually America had a not bad-looking team this year.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I agree with you. I little makeup and hygiene/grooming can go a long way.
Eating well, exercising, getting a good night's sleep, bathing regularly, dressing neatly...I completely agree.

As for the make-up, you can keep it. I like my face sans adornment.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That is true, but just as an aside I have noticed that some of the teams in the World Cup are much better looking than others. For example, South Korea, total eye candy, Russia, not so much. Germans yuck. Portugal yum. And these are all fit youngish guys identically dressed, so it's kind of an even playing field. And actually America had a not bad-looking team this year.
For me as long as a guy's face isn't deformed or covered in acne I always find fit athletic guys attractive. Your right about the Portugal team though !

Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Right on, I agree.
Thank you !

Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
The majority of people are lazy these days and are quick to let themselves go. I strongly believe though if everyone put in a good effort in dieting, styling, and grooming most people could be at least average looking. Just look at Europe and Brazil for example, same genetics basically the only difference is they weigh less and dress better therefor look better then the average american. With the amount of european stock most people are mixed with I actually think if people got into shape we could be considered one of the best looking nations in the world. As the russian saying goes,"no such thing as an ugly women only a lazy." This of course also applies to men. What do you think?
Another thread equating lack of attractiveness to overweight. That often has nothing to do with it. Average-looking isn't enough. There are loads of average-looking people (yes, who are trim, have good grooming, and dress at least decently, some dress stylishly) who can't get anywhere with dating. This post is so overly-simplistic, it's useless as advice.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Helena Rubenstein says there are no ugly women, only lazy ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty