U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are nice, broad-looking shoulders?
Pure bone-structure; wide chest, upper-back etc. 14 26.92%
Strong, powerful looking shoulder muscles, often making men look wider 8 15.38%
Various combinations of #1 and #2 27 51.92%
None of the above 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,898,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If ever in doubt about perfect shoulders, fellas, feel free to reference this pic:
So is that picture of good bone structure, concidentally with some good conditioning?

If you want to nit-pick, what I see is a nice pic of a left deltoid (shoulder) and right pectoral (chest muscle). Maybe it's the way the light is shining or the way he's standing, but I think it's at least easy to tell his left pectoral could be a little under developed in proportion to his right pec, possibly from pushing weights with crooked or off-center body positioning.

It is a decent pic. Is that that Russian dude from the movie Rocky?

If I had to guess what this guy's arm (bicep) size is, I'd figure 15-18 inches.
Of course it's kind of hard to tell from a 2-D picture.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-19-2007 at 04:05 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,552,293 times
Crooked or not looks good to me. Not too meaty or veiny, don't know if those are words or not, but you get the idea.
It is really difficult to get symmetry IMO. I am right handed, but have a bad right shoulder, so have to be real careful not to over compensate for it.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
Crooked or not looks good to me. Not too meaty or veiny, don't know if those are words or not, but you get the idea.
It is really difficult to get symmetry IMO. I am right handed, but have a bad right shoulder, so have to be real careful not to over compensate for it.
I know, I'm probably crooked too. It's something that I've been sort of working on for the past few years. No real problems with being off-center, except that for myself I'd prefer to minimize or eliminate my imbalances. (more for function than appearance )

Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So is that picture of good bone structure, concidentally with some good conditioning?

If you want to nit-pick, what I see is a nice pic of a left deltoid (shoulder) and right pectoral (chest muscle). Maybe it's the way the light is shining or the way he's standing, but I think it's at least easy to tell his left pectoral could be a little under developed in proportion to his right pec, possibly from pushing weights with crooked or off-center body positioning.

It is a decent pic. Is that that Russian dude from the movie Rocky?

If I had to guess what this guy's arm (bicep) size is, I'd figure 15-18 inches.
Of course it's kind of hard to tell from a 2-D picture.
Whoa, I am glad I am not the one being scrutinized like that! I think you are taking all of this way too seriously - as a woman, I can say, had you not pointed out all those "flaws" on my 6 foot 4 Swedish wet dream, I never would have considered him physically less than sheer perfection. I hope you don't scrutinize your lady (or 'partner', I don't know you well enough) with the same eye for symmetry and flawlessness, because you are going to set yourself (and her/him) up for a lot disappointment.

FWIW, I think the reason the left looks different from the right in the photo I posted is because he has his arm lifted higher and is therefore flexing the muscles on that side more. This is just an assumption. Suffice it to say, when I posted the picture I assumed most guys would realize that they would probably never look like that in real life, hence getting the joke. I never would have guessed that you would look for and find imperfections! That would be like me taking a picture of Angelina Jolie and pointing out that her breasts are lopsided or her ears don't match.

I am sure if you are this wrapped up in how you look, that you are already stellar-looking! As a matter of fact, I'm now wondering how hot your shoulders must be, if Dolph's barely measure up. Care to share a pic with us? Don't be shy - I've already posted some of my own in the other topics forum so I'm not a hypocrite either .

Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Whoa, I am glad I am not the one being scrutinized like that! I think you are taking all of this way too seriously - as a woman, I can say, had you not pointed out all those "flaws" on my 6 foot 4 Swedish wet dream, I never would have considered him physically less than sheer perfection. I hope you don't scrutinize your lady (or 'partner', I don't know you well enough) with the same eye for symmetry and flawlessness, because you are going to set yourself (and her/him) up for a lot disappointment.

FWIW, I think the reason the left looks different from the right in the photo I posted is because he has his arm lifted higher and is therefore flexing the muscles on that side more. This is just an assumption. Suffice it to say, when I posted the picture I assumed most guys would realize that they would probably never look like that in real life, hence getting the joke. I never would have guessed that you would look for and find imperfections! That would be like me taking a picture of Angelina Jolie and pointing out that her breasts are lopsided or her ears don't match.

I am sure if you are this wrapped up in how you look, that you are already stellar-looking! As a matter of fact, I'm now wondering how hot your shoulders must be, if Dolph's barely measure up. Care to share a pic with us? Don't be shy - I've already posted some of my own in the other topics forum so I'm not a hypocrite either .
I was just sort of playing around. It's easy for me to notice things like muscle form because I've spent many years (off and on) excersizing and trying to achieve more balance and muscular proportion. Why? Because before I started that I had years (as a kid) where I deliberately leaned one way, for skateboarding, for "play-fighting" and for sports. I was out of proportion and partly it deliberate, so later in life I tried correcting it. To me, no one is (supposed to be) perfect, and just about everyone has some kind of "imperfection" as some might call it, or deviation from a medical textbook. Many imperfections I also view as interesting and sometimes refreshing; making people seem more "real," or giving us more character or personality. I understand that many people like to have ideas of what's physical perfection and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I myself have ideas of what is physical perfection, though I tend to view that as body part specific. I also apologise if I have shocked and offended you. Perhaps I can't help noticing small details partly because of my profession as an industrial inspector. I'm trained to find things like thinner-than-hairline cracks, burn marks on metals, all sorts of random things including things I'm not expecting.

I couldn't tell that wasn't a joke, but I myself am not worried about being perfect. But I probably could look like him in real life, albeit 5'9" and hair probably a little thinner on top. Give me 20-30 lbs more muscle and take 5-10 lbs of bodyfat and I could resemble that physique... Do-able, but it'd take at least 1-3 years more of excersize to do it, depending on how often I can excersize.

I don't know how to post photos on city-data.
Perhaps I might post a photo someday.
Dolph's are definitely more muscular and defined than mine, especially since I've been quite busy with work the past month.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Here's a good example of what I like in a broad shouldered man! Carmine Giovinazzo from CSI:NY. I love watching him move. Just the right amount of muscle too. Nice arms in this pic. And I think that he's sexier when he wears his glasses.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:58 PM

10 posts, read 146,518 times
Just wondering is there actually such a thing as square, normal, and droopy shoulders? If there is then it has something to do with bone structure (rather than posture)...I've noticed that people have different types of shoulder slopes too. I am not exactly sure which one I am...sometimes my shoulders slope downwards. Other times I have square looking shoulders...

Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,306,817 times
I meant to vote for various combinations of #1 and #2.

There are some guys that look great with a t shirt on and then when they take it off and have no muscle it looks gross because it is just a skeleton-ish body.

Good bone structure and some muscle is the key (not too beefy like in the photo on page 2). If you have just good bone structure then your body will look good only with a shirt on....imo. I've seen a lot of guys.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 146,518 times
Is it possible to have narrow yet square shoulders? I don't think my shoulders are that broad but my shoulders look very square in most clothes in wear?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:47 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,088,418 times
Can we stop calling bodybuilders "freakish" and "wierd"? The look on the competition stage, fitness mags, and while working out is not how we look on a regular basis (the big, big guys are a bit much though). I have a 15"+ differnce between my waist and shoulders; trust me I get lots of compliments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or