Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are nice, broad-looking shoulders?
Pure bone-structure; wide chest, upper-back etc. 14 26.92%
Strong, powerful looking shoulder muscles, often making men look wider 8 15.38%
Various combinations of #1 and #2 27 51.92%
None of the above 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times

Advertisements

I've heard this term used a fair bit before.

What is your opinion? (poll)

I always assumed it was meant a combination of broad upper body/bone structure and muscular shoulders.

A few years ago I noticed there are quite a few guys with very wide shoulders, thanks to bone structure but their shoulders themselves do not look particularly strong.

I've even seen one really skinny guy with wide shoulders (bone structure) but almost no muscle or fat. He looked more like a broad-chested "bone rack" than the "athletic/jock-type" that is more common with people of his dimensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Just imho, women are attracted to broad shoulders; it feels protective; major body building is not the biggest thing for some women, others prefer major tone. It's really just a matter of preference.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
For me, what is attractive in a man is a combination of wide flat shoulders, some nice muscle definition (but not bodybuilding gym muscle), and accentuated with narrow hips and long legs. Guys that have too much weight lifting muscle seem too artificial to me.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 AM

How wide does someone have to be to be considered "broad" shouldered?

Over the past few months I noticed most guys are similarly built to me; a slightly broader in the upper chest than at the waist... Viewed from the front, say 2-4 inches across diffeference. The guys I've seen with very wide bone structures could have had their upper-torso's 6-plus inches wider, when viewed from the front, than their waist area.

I was also surprised to notice that there are young women that also have fairly wide "shoulders" or upper torsos (not obvious, unless you are looking for it) in comparison to their lower ribcage and waist. What surpised me the most is many of these young women look slim, fit and often model-like yet when you look at the spacing between their shoulder joints it can be as wide as the average young man's.

Of the young women I've seen like that, most of them still looked attractive to me, not at all "butch", while when I compare myself to them, my shoulder width does not make me appear distintively male.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
For me, what is attractive in a man is a combination of wide flat shoulders, some nice muscle definition (but not bodybuilding gym muscle), and accentuated with narrow hips and long legs. Guys that have too much weight lifting muscle seem too artificial to me.
What are "flat-shoulders?"

I've also heard there are generally two kinds of shoulder "patterns."
When arms are left hanging down, relaxed

1) They look like they're sloping downward off the neck
2) They look "square" with the neck.

I have very "square" looking shoulders.

Are square-looking shoulders "masculine," or is that just another difference in the random shapes people of either gender come in?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:02 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,732 times
I am one of those females with broad, square shoulders. I am 5'8" and slim, but careful not to work my Trapezius muscles because I am afraid it will give me that "butch" look. I think the "masculine" look depends more on the amount of actual muscle than bone structure IMHO.
I prefer a balance between bone structure and muscle. While I appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to get that competition body builders physique, I don't find it attractive. Too much in my opinion, especially the bulging veins!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
I am one of those females with broad, square shoulders. I am 5'8" and slim, but careful not to work my Trapezius muscles because I am afraid it will give me that "butch" look.

I think the "masculine" look depends more on the amount of actual muscle than bone structure IMHO.

I prefer a balance between bone structure and muscle. While I appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to get that competition body builders physique, I don't find it attractive. Too much in my opinion, especially the bulging veins!
I also try not to work my trapezius muscles too hard for similar reasons; I already have a slighlty longish and thickish neck, a slightly large head as well as an average to vaguely-narrower-than-average upper torso bone structure.

Good point. That makes sense.
My natural muscle tone was still a little heavier in the shoulders and pectorals than most women, even a few men. My shoulders aren't very big, but if I was a women they'd make me look very butch, as they have the size and approximate shape of grapefruit-halves attached to the top of my arms.

I agree that many body builders look weird, scary or freakish. Although I've gained 18 lbs of lean mass in one year and would love another 18 lbs, I would actually prefer to have the physique of a pro-boxer, instead of a pro-bodybuilder.

Do pro-boxers have a balanced-looking physique?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What are "flat-shoulders?"

I've also heard there are generally two kinds of shoulder "patterns."
When arms are left hanging down, relaxed

1) They look like they're sloping downward off the neck
2) They look "square" with the neck.

I have very "square" looking shoulders.

Are square-looking shoulders "masculine," or is that just another difference in the random shapes people of either gender come in?
Square would be square with the neck, rather than sloping down from bad posture or too much neck and shoulder muscles. Good posture is attractive.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Square would be square with the neck, rather than sloping down from bad posture or too much neck and shoulder muscles.

Good posture is attractive.
You mentioned earlier you liked "flat" shoulders... Is that another way of saying "square shoulders", or is it something else?

You just gave me a gym flashback.

Some young women who work out there also work out their lower back and some upper body excersizes instead of just doing cardio with legs. They carry themselves in a noticeably more rigid or firm and co-ordinated in upperbody positioning, compared to average people who sometimes appear to be randomly holding their head and chest up... Very unusual looking and VERY attractive. (drool, lol)

Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,732 times
I would have to say the pro-boxer build is a balanced look and attractive.
Perhaps you are attracted to the "rigid or firm" positioning because they seem confident. That isn't to say that people who slouch aren't confident...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty