U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:16 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Why are they in bankruptcy? They had great clothes. Not super cheap and not expensive. Well made, too, compared to much of the trash that is sold in most stores around the country.
I would bet it's a combination of factors. They were a catalog company. Those are very inexpensive to run. But they expanded into brick and mortar stores. That requires inventory. Inventory is expensive, hiring people to man the stores is expensive, and they started cutting costs by buying cheaper inventory.

I loved the catalog stuff, but the store stuff lacked. A lot.

And then there was a switch back to internet shopping. Their site was clunky.

And they had competition from other places that were more well known. Chico?

Add to that -- their clothing was branded to a more middle class woman..... and the middle class is getting squeezed. Wages are stagnant and prices are going up... and middle class is shopping at more price point conscious places. Like Target.

In the past few years a lot of places having given up, in a great retail consolidation. Its going to go on for a long time to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:06 PM

749 posts, read 715,610 times
Fantastic store, quality merchandise, excellent service, and return policies, have been my store for myriad of years..........sorry to it go.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 PM

7,315 posts, read 5,271,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I would bet it's a combination of factors. They were a catalog company. Those are very inexpensive to run. But they expanded into brick and mortar stores. That requires inventory. Inventory is expensive, hiring people to man the stores is expensive, and they started cutting costs by buying cheaper inventory.

I loved the catalog stuff, but the store stuff lacked. A lot.

And then there was a switch back to internet shopping. Their site was clunky.

And they had competition from other places that were more well known. Chico?

Add to that -- their clothing was branded to a more middle class woman..... and the middle class is getting squeezed. Wages are stagnant and prices are going up... and middle class is shopping at more price point conscious places. Like Target.

In the past few years a lot of places having given up, in a great retail consolidation. Its going to go on for a long time to come.
I've never liked Chico's stuff.

However, I loooved Coldwater Creek. Once in a while I'd drive mom there and have her try things on, and then I'd buy them for her while she was browsing. The entrance was wood and the interior of the store was so well put together that it was a pleasure to be in there. You're right that they didn't carry everything in the catalog in every store. Also, I remember their catalog showed clothes under a mannequin but without a head, so one could better visualize how things looked generally, rather than see it on a model and how it looks on her. And I was in love with their jewelry and miscellaneous items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty